Behringer fcb1010 prom newbie

gsilbers

I'm am not seeing the most basic info on why an "prom" device is needed on the fcb1010 To work with the axefx 2. Or what are the advantages?
I see there is a fcb1010 editor so not sure why the prom is needed.

Anyone kind enough to point into the right direction ?
Thanks

it depends on how you want to use the FCB1010. It operates fine as a stock MIDI controller, but many find it difficult to program. Some of the 3rd party EPROMs give you options for function and switch programming that don't exist on the stock FCB.

I've been using the stock FCB1010 as-is for years with the AxeFxII and Ultra.

I have the eurekaprom 2 giving me direct access to scenes, blocks , presets etc
Works fine.

Before I put in the e prom 2, the fcb1010 was like a huge paperweight. It's the hardest thing to program ever. The e prom makes it just work without having to program anything . highly recommended

The Eureka Prom 2 is a little chip that you install inside of the FCB1010. It more or less makes the FCB1010 plug 'n play with the Axe FX and many other guitar processors. After installing it, you'll never have to use any sort of MIDI editor to program the different pedals. If you want to customize the pedals to do different things, there's an easy to follow manual on the Eureka Prom website which is as complicated as just holding pedals down for a few seconds. It's only $35 and is a total steal for the convenience it brings.

If it helps, I have little to no experience when it comes to tweaking with chips and all that. I installed a Eureka Prom chip in my FCB1010 and it took maybe 15 minutes with just a couple screwdrivers. Super easy. Most of that time was spent just taking the controller apart and putting it back together.

Last edited:
thanks all.

I do see midi editor programs like http://www.wabbitwanch.com/iFCB.html.
Would the prom be redundant with a program like this?

Also, if I get the prom, could I still be able to change other midi functions like pedals being cc1=mod and cc7=volume and also other things like program changes and other things to work with orchestral sample libraries?

I JUST EDITED THIS AND UPLOADED THE CORRECT FILE FOR YOU ALL
I just got an Axe FX XL...I already have a couple of FCB1010 units I have been using for looping with software...etc. One of them has the UNO chip.
The UNO chip is only 20 bucks and is highly programmable. Ripwerx is a Java application that makes programming a breeze. It was pretty easy to set it up with the AXE FX. I have it set up so I can do 5 patch changes each with 5 scene changes per FCB preset. The expression Pedals control whatever you want them to. I have FCB Preset 9 set for the ABCDEF bank changes on the Axe. Also bank increment up and down . FCB 9 also controls Axe preset increment up via switch 1. I have FCB Uno 8 setup to control the Axe looper and also the tuner and and Tempo.

You can download the sysex file here;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdetn41csiegntm/AXE FX LATEST 3(1).syx?dl=0

Last edited:
I have a Eureka Prom chip in my FCB1010. Sorry but I can't comment on what its like without it, but I really enjoy the functionality having it installed. I primarily use it in effects mode so I have the 8 switches for whatever effects or x/y settings I'd like. I also like being able to go to Special mode and have access to the looper. I don't really change presets much, but it has a mode just for scrolling through presets. Then I believe the final mode is a hybrid preset / effects mode with 5 switches for presets and 5 for effects. I'd recommend it. I've been using it for years now and love it.

Thread... Resurrect!!!

.... Anyway, guys I have a new stock FCB and am waiting on my Uno chip to show up. In the mean time I have got this thing set up fairly well to my needs except for the stomp box part. Right now I have 6-10 set to their respective CC#s and they work great to turn things on but in the PC editor, there isn't a section to tell it to send value 0 when that switch is hit a 2nd time to turn off the stomp box. Is this just a limitation of the stock FCB chip or am I missing something?

Thanks

Right now I have 6-10 set to their respective CC#s and they work great to turn things on but in the PC editor, there isn't a section to tell it to send value 0 when that switch is hit a 2nd time to turn off the stomp box. Is this just a limitation of the stock FCB chip or am I missing something?

Each switch can have two CC#s attached to it. In order for a switch to toggle between two values of the same CC#, you need to program the same CC# to both iterations, and give each it's respective value (for example 0 for off, 127 for on). You may need to flip-flop the values for the right initial setting to be engaged when changing from one FCB1010 preset to another.

Each switch can have two CC#s attached to it. In order for a switch to toggle between two values of the same CC#, you need to program the same CC# to both iterations, and give each it's respective value (for example 0 for off, 127 for on). You may need to flip-flop the values for the right initial setting to be engaged when changing from one FCB1010 preset to another.

Awesome! Thanks a ton. I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight

Gentlemen, good thread here.. I'm searching all over this forum for previous/similar FCP1010 posts.. I just got my Axe XL today, replacing a six year addiction to Eleven Rack!! (Why did I wait?? Good grief!) Used the FCB1010 w/prom 1, and recently 3. Got it all connected, found the first Plexi preset and simply time travelled for 4-hours.... It was "almost" perfect plug n'play with the exception that the volume pedal doesn't elicit a response from the Axe... I hope that perhaps any of you may have encountered this also?? I assume that I am headed into the I/O to assign a cc... But, to what?? Any charitable answer will be most appreciated......

@Saint Chuck ,
you will have to decide how do you want your volume to work? I use input volume, this is global meaning once you set the CC# in to the pedal it will control volume of all patches. output volume is also global but there will be no delay or reverb tails when volume is turned off. many set the expression pedal to an external control # and put a volume block in every patch, this is a little more work to set up but you can change how the volume is controlled on a per patch basis.

you find the midi CC# for midi controls in the axe fx I/o menu under midi. these # will have to be programed into the fcb.

@Saint Chuck ,
you will have to decide how do you want your volume to work? I use input volume, this is global meaning once you set the CC# in to the pedal it will control volume of all patches. output volume is also global but there will be no delay or reverb tails when volume is turned off. many set the expression pedal to an external control # and put a volume block in every patch, this is a little more work to set up but you can change how the volume is controlled on a per patch basis.

you find the midi CC# for midi controls in the axe fx I/o menu under midi. these # will have to be programed into the fcb.

Thanks Paranoid... Please pardon my "new-ness" but I was hoping (pre-purchase) that putting a volume/pan block in the path would be volume pedal controllable. Your reply encourages me into believing that this is so... I am a simple mind needing only a few exquisite tones/rigs, so adding a block into a few patch should be OK... (I gotta have the echo trails or reverberation fade realistically as I'll likely never play an arena venue!) My dumb question to you and your experience is this: what is the "nomenclature" or label for the volume block to be ext'y controlled so that I can find it and assign the correct midi cc??

Again, thanks for taking the time to help a newbie...

@Saint Chuck,
you will have to use the modifier page in the volume block to add the external control of your choice. I would use external 1 for volume. so look this ext 1 cc# up in the I/O menu under control page. then set that CC# to the exp of your choice in the fcb. when you build your axe fx patch, and insert the volume block, you will have to select the desired control that has {} symbol under it(on axe fx front panel) or in it (axe edit) when you select that symbol on that control it will open a modifier window, this is were you set the external 1 control to the chosen control, and you can also tweak how this modifier operates. when you are done close the window and save your patch.

Perfectly explained! Thank you Paranoid, I really appreciate your time. I'll be at North Hutchinson Island the last two weeks of April... If somebody comes up to me and says, "I'm paranoid," that person is drinking for free!!!

Back
Top Bottom