Behringer Europower EPQ900 1U 10.8lb Power Amp

So I believe the question should be, can you get a better brand new power amp for around $250?

I actually think the question should be - should I put a $2300+ pre-amp through a $250 power amp and expect decent results?

I really think too many users seem to expect to pay a LOT of money for a professional level device in the form of the AFX2 then expect to be able to skimp on the "amplification" for that device. Whether you go FRFR or power amp and cab, you really need to budget at least $1000 for the amplification of the AFX to get good results IMO. Not slating those who cant afford/justify that (Im one of them at times) BUT when pricing up an AFX rig - you need to take into account the whole package - not just "can I afford the AFX".

I really feel you need to spend as much as the AFX itself cost again to get a decent quality Midi Controller (which ever one you go for), and either FRFR solution OR Power amp and guitar cab (of course you may have the guitar cab already). Much less than that and your not really going to be 100% happy.

In some languages Behringer means doorstop, in others it means boat anchor.

In either case just keep in mind you get what you pay for.

In case you can't tell IMO it's junk. I've never had a piece of their gear last longer then one year. I guess that's what's meant by planned obsolescence.

i'd get one and try it.. hell in the 80's ART made a bunch of terrible crap, anyone remeber the mach II? uggh. I've had good luck with behringer mixers, and had mackies take a dump, so it's all about how well you take care of things, and if it works for you. The price point shouldnt be the determining factor if something is good or not either. Heck a $400 guitar now days is a metric ton better than what i had available for $400 growing up.

Some people misunderstood this topic. It's not a general Behringer opinion topic, it's ONLY about the EPQ900. Many opinions, but all these without even anyone testing the actual EPQ900.

I don't get it - The AX FXII is the finest Guitar Processor money can buy and you want to use the lowest budget amp you can find to run with it?
Save your money and buy something better. Personally I just bought a Matrix and it was worth every Dollar or should I say Pound?

I don't get it - The AX FXII is the finest Guitar Processor money can buy and you want to use the lowest budget amp you can find to run with it?
Save your money and buy something better. Personally I just bought a Matrix and it was worth every Dollar or should I say Pound?
The key word is "processor". Any half decent power amp operating well within its limits will colour or process the sound to a negligible degree. It's the least critical link in the chain. What I want is the best balance of performance, weight and price and the EPQ900 fits just fine for my purposes.

Is any Behringer product even half decent? really?

If you rely on internet mythology, no. If you can think for yourself and give them a try, you might be surprised. Yes really!

EDIT: Just a couple of examples - there seem to be a lot of happy owners of EP series power amps and the BDI-21

Last edited:
I actually think the question should be - should I put a $2300+ pre-amp through a $250 power amp and expect decent results?

Cost doesnt always relate to value or performance. We all know the Axe FXII is great but IMO, with shipping costs and taxes it makes the AXE way over-priced compared to alternative products on the market. I'm not saying "competitive" products, I'm saying good alternatives. The question is, are you getting more bang for the buck with a POD HD500 and a Behringer 1U power amp all for $750 shipping included? or spending almost $4000! on an Axe-FX and Matrix. This is why its important to make compromises. If the AXE is indeed the piece of gear you're most pationate about then you may be forced to go with a budget power amp.......

Just my two cents.

Cost doesnt always relate to value or performance. We all know the Axe FXII is great but IMO, with shipping costs and taxes it makes the AXE way over-priced compared to alternative products on the market. I'm not saying "competitive" products, I'm saying good alternatives. The question is, are you getting more bang for the buck with a POD HD500 and a Behringer 1U power amp all for $750 shipping included? or spending almost $4000! on an Axe-FX and Matrix. This is why its important to make compromises. If the AXE is indeed the piece of gear you're most pationate about then you may be forced to go with a budget power amp.......

Just my two cents.

Wise words that I really like. More over playing an instrument is a craft which you can not "buy in to".

Alright! If anybody is syill interested in knowing if the new europower 450 or 900 sound any good im happy to let you know that i'l be receiving mine shortly(in about a week or so)... Il be happy to post my review on here!
Dont forget! Dont underestimate the power of the axe fx... If you get a "cheaper" "less transparent" poweramp... Never forget that u have unlimmited eq' possibilities to compensate for the overall sound...your poweramp has too much bass response? Turn down the bass! Of course its more convenient to have an amp that will reproduce exactly the same thing u setup at home... BUT... I dont mind spending a day to setup the tones accordingly with the new poweramp if its going to save me 800 bucks :p
Its a simulator, the sag setting works magic with even ss amps... So i wouldnt necessarely say the behringer amps are not worth trying... U spend 3 grand on a device that is supposed to simulate the tube feeling...and then spend a thousand bucks on a tube poweramp? I just dont get it!
Just my 2 cents on this whole topic ;)

Still here and looking forward to your impressions. I wouldn't expect frequency response to be an issue in even the worst power amps - more likely distortion and ability to deliver the claimed power.

I'll be curious to hear about these power amps...

First off, I'd say that several of you in this thread (not everyone) should understand that there are Axe II users for whom just being able to buy the device itself is a big deal. And as a result, there are probably many players who can't put together their dream rig...or the dream rig as dictated by this forum...right away. You might ease up on the economic arrogance and offer some helpful advice. When one can't just buy whatever they want at the drop of the hat, there are always trade-offs. It'd be nice to help people navigate those trade-offs instead of talking down to them...

And, I'm not sure if it will be heard way up there on those high horses, but some of us might not be interested in shelling out for FRFR or a poweramp because it might not be the main use. One of the biggest selling points for me was the Axe II's flexibility and ability to integrate into a variety of set-ups: recording, direct, with a head/cab, FRFR, whatever. I've been using mine direct for a few months with my band and as we start to book shows again (for the first time with the AxeII), I can't be sure that every venue will be conducive to running direct. So it would be nice to have some back-up options for playing out. It's hard for me to justify spending $700--1200 on a poweramp or powered speaker that I won't use 100% of the time, so for myself, I'd like a 1 space poweramp (maybe that's the Matrix, but maybe its something else) that I can run into a guitar cab for those shows with crappy PA's, or that our drummer---who uses a Roland Kit--can use as back-up in those same situations.

I guess that's not so much of an issue for all the super successful musicians chiming in on this thread with their $100 cables, whale bone picks, and platinum guitar strings. Because why would you buy a $2300 preamp/processor and then use nickel strings?

:roll

Alright! If anybody is syill interested in knowing if the new europower 450 or 900 sound any good im happy to let you know that i'l be receiving mine shortly(in about a week or so)... Il be happy to post my review on here!
Dont forget! Dont underestimate the power of the axe fx... If you get a "cheaper" "less transparent" poweramp... Never forget that u have unlimmited eq' possibilities to compensate for the overall sound...your poweramp has too much bass response? Turn down the bass! Of course its more convenient to have an amp that will reproduce exactly the same thing u setup at home... BUT... I dont mind spending a day to setup the tones accordingly with the new poweramp if its going to save me 800 bucks :p
Its a simulator, the sag setting works magic with even ss amps... So i wouldnt necessarely say the behringer amps are not worth trying... U spend 3 grand on a device that is supposed to simulate the tube feeling...and then spend a thousand bucks on a tube poweramp? I just dont get it!
Just my 2 cents on this whole topic ;)

Yes, please do!

Back
Top Bottom