Behringer Europower EPQ900 1U 10.8lb Power Amp

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
EUROPOWER EPQ900

2 x 390 Watts into 4 Ohms; 2 x 245 Watts into 8 Ohms ; 900 Watts into 8 Ohms bridged

Servo-balanced XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs plus professional speaker connectors Minimum depth chassis (10.1" / 257 mm) and ultra-light weight design (10.8 lbs / 4.9 kg) fits into compact

All this for $250... thoughts?

P.S. I know the obvious "downside"... it's a Behringer :mrgreen

EPQ900_P0A1U_Front_XL.png

EPQ900_P0A1U_Rear_XL.png

Although I've generally had good success with my limited Behringer experience, is there perhaps a tiny chance they're overstating the specs...? ;)

Or, maybe it does deliver all that power, at 10% THD or something unusable.

Bridge power should be exactly the sum of both channels alone (obviously, into one load at double the impedance).

So 2 x 390W each into 4 ohms should be 780W bridged into 8 ohms.

Bridge power should be exactly the sum of both channels alone (obviously, into one load at double the impedance).

So 2 x 390W each into 4 ohms should be 780W bridged into 8 ohms.

I thought the same thing... But that's what the specs show...

Besides the power rating it still has to sound ok. I have yet to hear a Behringer FRFR that is in fact FRFR :)
And I think it is quite safe to assume that the way it colours the sound is not going to sound great with guitar tones.

Jens

Surely it will not beat the fanciest power amps available but Behringer is a great company.

For many years, they have helped amateur bands to get their first rigs at a fraction of what it would have cost in the pre-behringer era. Also, in my experience, their products are built to last, again compared to other makes in their range. Starting a band now is cheaper than ever and in my eyes, behringer kind of started this.

So I believe the question should be, can you get a better brand new power amp for around $250?

That is very true. But an amateur band with a first rig does not have an AxeFX either.

My point is that you are very likely to be running into problems because of the sound of the amp not being up to reproducing the tone you want to get in the Axe,
it is hard enough to dial in the patch without having to compensate a lot for the colouration of the power amp.

As for durability. I play in one band with a behringer PA and 2 of the 3 powered monitors had to be repaired within a year. We play a lot of gigs but that is not
what I'd call built to last by any standard.

Jens

I'd run an ART or a Carvin before considering the "B" word. That stuff is a waist of money IMO and is made to clog up land fills.

Its a joke to say Behringer started affordable rigs, at least in the US. Peavey was making better stuff at affordable prices decades ago, and THAT stuff was made to last.
Ex bandmates of mine still have their "starter" Peavey guitars exactly because they've held up, and survived all the mods and other things we did with grace.

Remember, not everything needs to be new either. Starting out bands can and should look at lightly used stuff too.

I've had bad experiences with Behringer mixers so I'm not unbias.

I remember a time back in the 70's that guys around here would laugh at you if you owned Peavey gear.

Which brings me to the cliches that are very true: "Use whatever works for you that you can afford." "Make gear decisions with your ears" "tweak with your ears" "nobody cares what gear you use, they just care if you sound good" haha, as long as it lasts and sounds good to your ears, buy it. That goes for cheap and expensive.

I have a little 8 channel behringer mixer, that i use for acoustic gigs. Only 1 output works, but damn that thing is clean and clear. I could probably fix it, but it's so small and light it is PERFECT for my acoustic duo shows (2 guitars, 1 mic, 1 PA Speaker)

My recommendation is if you are tempted, then buy it, (from a place with a VERY GOOD return policy.) Test it out. If you like it, sweet. If not, return it and buy something more expensive that you like better. I'm tempted just because i hate the banana to 1/4 adapter i have to use on my ART SLA-2., but it's the same price as Carvin, so that's tempting too....hmmm, maybe i should sell my SLA-2 and get one of these.

B&H's site for the Behringer's input sensitivity is 2.5dBu compared to the Matrix's site showing the GT800FX at 0.775V and the GT800 at 1.000V... can anyone clarify? Thanks.

Edit: Also, just found out that the Matrix's rate 400w at 4ohm is RMS... and the EPQ900's RMS is 175w @ 8ohm, 275w @ 4 ohm and 580w @ 8ohm bridged... 275w is 5w than what my 270w cabs need so it may actually work... I'm gonna try to find out and see how it compares to the Carvin F1200 that I have...

Edit 2: EPQ900 is Class H and the Matrix is AB... we'll see...

Last edited:
Its a joke to say Behringer started affordable rigs, at least in the US. Peavey was making better stuff at affordable prices decades ago, and THAT stuff was made to last.
Ex bandmates of mine still have their "starter" Peavey guitars exactly because they've held up, and survived all the mods and other things we did with grace.

Remember, not everything needs to be new either. Starting out bands can and should look at lightly used stuff too.

Well, I have had good experiences with all the behringer products i've owned in the past (mixers, cabs, fxs). Maybe I've been lucky? When I replaced those things for better models I could definitely tell the difference but always thought behringer had good value for money.

In Spain they were the cheapest option… Also, I do not live in a big place and back in the day, without internet, we did not have access to a huge variety of products.

I have been talking about this with older musicians and everyone concurs that it was much cheaper to start a band in the early 2000's rather than in the 90's because of makes like behringer. So yeah, maybe peavy was a cheap option in the 70's, but you couldn't get a guitar + amp combo for less than 200 € back then, or at least, back at home.

That is very true. But an amateur band with a first rig does not have an AxeFX either.

My point is that you are very likely to be running into problems because of the sound of the amp not being up to reproducing the tone you want to get in the Axe,
it is hard enough to dial in the patch without having to compensate a lot for the colouration of the power amp.

As for durability. I play in one band with a behringer PA and 2 of the 3 powered monitors had to be repaired within a year. We play a lot of gigs but that is not
what I'd call built to last by any standard.

Jens

Actually, it may make sense if you just want to power up a monitor on stage and then go straight to FOH if you don't have much money left after getting the axe, but yeah, I get your point.

Personally I've had hit and miss results with various Behr gear. If it works at all.. it usually works just fine for a long time.

They are infamous for cloning the best existing designs, thus saving the R&D cost. That in itself pisses people off, but if you are cheap you can appreciate the results - they build their clones in their giant Chinese city-factory and sell at a fraction of the price of originals.

Regarding power amps, a year or so ago I was needing PA amps and through research discovered that the Behringer EP2500 was a successful clone of the highly-regarded QSC RMX2450. Check out these comparison pics. From most accounts, the EP2500 was reliable and sounded just as good, for less than 1/3 the price.

Last edited:
Personally I've had hit and miss results with various Behr gear. If it works at all.. it usually works just fine for a long time.

They are infamous for cloning the best existing designs, thus saving the R&D cost. That in itself pisses people off, but if you are cheap you can appreciate the results - they build their clones in their giant Chinese city-factory and sell at a fraction of the price of originals.

Regarding power amps, a year or so ago I was needing PA amps and through research discovered that the Behringer EP2500 was a successful clone of the highly-regarded QSC RMX2450. Check out these comparison pics. From most accounts, the EP2500 was reliable and sounded just as good, for less than 1/3 the price.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmnnnn!!!! Even though the Behringer has more internal cables I actually think it looks a bit "cleaner"... of course I know nothing about the innards of things like this but... just a layman's opinion. :D

dude I still have my Peavey Predator plus (the ones that had a weird tremolo instead of a licensed Floyd rose) and it is still going. I bought it used when I was like 11 and It's still a champ!

Berry stuff varies ... stuff like the DCX is lovely, the EP2500 less so ... it all depends what you are hanging it on the end of ... a cheap multi-fx floor pedal, fine no worries ...

I've heard mixed things about their later amps, the iNuke stuff I heard sounded rough to be honest.

if you just spent a decent bit of cash on an AxeFX, just remember the overall sound will be no better than tha weakest part of the chain ... I'd look for something like an old HH V800 or similar if I didn;t have the cash for a GT1000FX and just live with the weight for a while ... If I'm going to have a stand-in bit of kit until I can get what I really want I'd rather have an old quality bit of kit that holds its value than a tin can full of explode-u-like components with a resale value of 18p.

Back
Top Bottom