Behold, the power of EQ matched IR...

Hmmm... I used to think I was smart... Then you said that.

When you are working in the digital domain, there's no need for a sweep+deconvolution step. You have a track were you import the impulse. Then you apply the corrective/matched EQ into this track. An impulse input into a linear time invariant system will output the impulse response (hence the name impulse response, i.e. the response of the system due presented with an impulse at its input).

Instead of waiting around for me to do another Youtube video (one of these years)...I'll just throw this post up here.

You can simplify this process by doing the following. There's no need to be sweeping and deconvolving inside the DAW. I do this in Reaper so if you use a different DAW you'll have to figure out the command equivalents for some of these steps in your DAW.

1. Do the match EQ process in Ozone as described in the tutorials posted by Clark Kent or Shotgunn.

2. Place this impulse waveform on the track containing Ozone: http://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/impulse.wav

3. Right click on the impulse waveform clip in your track and go to "Apply track FX to item as new take (mono output)".
bam.gif

That new take is your impulse response.

4. Find the wav file that corresponds to your new take in your Reaper media folder (Reaper tells you the name of the wav render right on the clip itself).

5. Open it up in Axe-O-Matic and convert to .SYX and upload to your Axe-FX II.

Reaper by default (at least on my configuration) puts a fade in and fade out. Is it doing in it yours?

In any case for other readers, make sure you zoom in on the impulse track and remove any fade ins as it will destroy the impulse.

strange... with cubase it didnt work at all, the IR was way too silent and sounded nothing like the real thing. I now tried exactly the same in reaper, and it works like a charm. If i find out whats wrong with cubase ill inform you. BTW, can i add silence after the Impulse or will it falsify the IR? I dont know how to render a file with cubase, so i have to select the area i want to export, which might add a little silence at the end of the impulse

Extra silence at the end shouldn't cause any problems. The conversion to SYX will automatically chop it to the correct length.

Should Axe-O-Matic remove leading silence from a .wav? It doesn't seem to and I noticed there's ~2.5 ms in the impulse file above. This one w/ no silence might be of interest to avoid adding latency:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28651/axefx/impulse48k.wav

Or if applying the EQ doesn't work correctly with that one for some reason: use the one w/ leading silence, render w/ FX, drag the start edge of that render to the first nonzero sample, then render that as another new take and use that one.

From what I know there should be no silence at all at the start. I think this will cause phase issues. Correct me if I'm wrong.

well, it doesnt work in cubase for me, even with the file bakerman posted. No problem, i'll use reaper for match eqing. As far as i can tell, this method is way more accurate than the one with the deconvolver!

strange... with cubase it didnt work at all, the IR was way too silent and sounded nothing like the real thing. I now tried exactly the same in reaper, and it works like a charm. If i find out whats wrong with cubase ill inform you. BTW, can i add silence after the Impulse or will it falsify the IR? I dont know how to render a file with cubase, so i have to select the area i want to export, which might add a little silence at the end of the impulse

After you add the FX to the impulse, do you render the impulse or export/consolidate?

Hi all,

just have a question about IR files processed by the axe. In general the used IR should be a FIR filter with linear phase. That means that the coefficients of the IR are symmetrical, but all the files i've created with some deconvolution tools are not symmetrical. Is the axe mirroring the IR?
Today I tried to eq match two of my guitars with different pickups. And I used the impulse offered in this section. Thx for the file. The IR I obtained after applying the EQ matching was symmetrical (I applied the FX to the track impule.wav). I uploaded the symmetrical IR to the axe and the result sounded strange. Then i cutted of the first half of the symmetrical part and the ir created this way sounded better ... Probably this is not consistent with all DAWs and plugins. Can somebody clarify this issue?

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

Kann dir zwar mit deinem Problem nicht helfen, aber sehr witzig dass hier noch ein Wuppertaler mit Axe-Fx am start ist :D.

Sorry for OT

AlbertA's method was what I tried at first. I never got it working and I thought it'd be like that. I'm not sure if it's Cubase or Ozone that screws things up. All I know is it takes me 10sec to do it the way I do it and it works perfectly. Took me quite some time to get it working this way. :)

AlbertA's method was what I tried at first. I never got it working and I thought it'd be like that. I'm not sure if it's Cubase or Ozone that screws things up. All I know is it takes me 10sec to do it the way I do it and it works perfectly. Took me quite some time to get it working this way. :)

I don't know whether it is perceivable, but with the EQ-Match applied to the impulse use save up one processing step where rounding errors etc. can occur. I don't know the exact implementation in voxengo, but if they apply a Fourier Transform somewhere in the code this could lead to errors for some signals.

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

so has anyone succeeded in doing it with Adams tut in cubase?
if you cannot 'apply fx' can you just export the track with ozone applied and then convert with axe-matic?
I'm wondering if the high end problems from ozone will still occur doing this
I'm not setup to do it right now it will be soon when I move to my new place.

Back
Top Bottom