Before I pull the trigger...

I think only you can answer your question about Turbo vs. non, once you have one and put it through the paces the way you'll use it.

I chose the Axe III when I got mine (FM9 and Turbo weren't yet available), but in retrospect, I would've been fine with just an FM3. But that's coming from someone who basically just plays at home, practicing, trying to become a better player mainly. I don't tweak presets much at all, just dial up a good high-gain tone with some stereo modulation effects to make it sound amazing in my headphones, and that's all I need. And with these recent Gift of Tone offerings, I've barely felt the need to even tweak much any more.

Do yourself a favor and get these as feet to put on the bottom your monitors so you don't transfer sound through your desk. You can buy the expensive ones that are like 200 bucks for both monitors (called isolation pads), but these will do a great job and are not going to cost an arm and a leg.

1" Dia Sorbothane Hemisphere Rubber Bumper Non-Skid Feet with Adhesive (4, 70 Duro) https://a.co/d/hgqFQ3d
after buying those monitors, headphones and etc. i'd not have enough to but those "1" Dia Sorbothane Hemisphere Rubber Bumper Non-Skid Feet" and the AXE FX III MKII, would these work just the same?
Amazon product ASIN B07PKV9D7R

also, next month i'll only have enough money for the MKII but not the Turbo, is there expected to be a sale soon? I'm only short by 215 dollars from the Turbo, and i'd really love to get the cream of the crop if I can!
Untitled.jpg

Well i just plan on using my Axe FX III in my bedroom with a laptop on top of it to use axe edit till i can get a proper foot controller board, again, I'm mainly going to focus on relatively simple patches for practicing for now, so i wont be doing oodles of on the fly patch switching at all, but in time I'll get expression pedals and a foot controller

If this is the case and it were me I would just get the FM3 and save the difference or spend it on acoustic treatment. No point in paying for DSP processing power you're not going to use.

also, next month i'll only have enough money for the MKII but not the Turbo, is there expected to be a sale soon? I'm only short by 215 dollars from the Turbo, and i'd really love to get the cream of the crop if I can!
View attachment 118017
Unless you are going to make an all in one patch that does everything for your set, then the turbo will do you no good and will be a waste of money since you won't use it. I mean, I guess Fractal can create something that only the Turbo could use but, I don't see Cliff doing something like that. Just get the MK II, there is zero difference in tone. I have the MK II and I never get above 55% with some pretty complex patches. I came from the days of touring with refrigerator sized racks from Bob Bradshaw with several loops going at once, so you can imagine the complexity of some of my patches. Trying to duplicate some of bradshaw rig with zero issue and only getting about 55-60% with the most complex patches. My normal rhythm distortion patch is about 35% CPU and my lead patch (2 amps, 2 delays, and chorus, verb) is about 45% CPU.

View attachment 118017
How long should it take for you to come up with the extra $215? Would it be a real hardship?

Next to what you'd pay for either of these, $215 is nothing. If it's not going to delay this for 6 months or make you miss rent, I'd go for the Turbo.

All good points, I'll think about this... But last night i just found out that the extra money I'm supposed to get next month from my friend buying a painting from me in order to help get me buy the Axe FX III may not happen after all, turns out he messed up doing his taxes and owns the government some money, hopefully it's not too much and he'll still be able to help fund me, or else i may just have to go with the FM3, which I'm ok with if need be, but it's all sold out 😆

In fact you know what, I will just end up getting the FM3 instead when it is back in stock, I'll just pay off my guitar in the mean time. But I do really appreciate all the feedback! It's been really educational!
That's properly the best choice, I've bought new things before when i could of used the money to pay off a Affirm/Reverb loan and then realized I could have saved my self on interest if i would have paid that off sooner rather then buying that new toy im eyeing. Plus with the extra cash you'll have afterwards you might be able to save for & buy a FX III or Turbo sooner then you think if the FM3 doesn't come in stock right way. but ether way good luck.

That's properly the best choice, I've bought new things before when i could of used the money to pay off a Affirm/Reverb loan and then realized I could have saved my self on interest if i would have paid that off sooner rather then buying that new toy im eyeing. Plus with the extra cash you'll have afterwards you might be able to save for & buy a FX III or Turbo sooner then you think if the FM3 doesn't come in stock right way. but ether way good luck.
Yeah agreed, I'll just work a bit more overtime to save up for the FM3, with the money I got now i'll put towards a few other items i'll need before I get the FM3, like those rubber bumpers for my studio monitors that jamesmarshall mentioned and maybe a better wireless system for my guitar

So I got my new Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones today, they are soooo nice!
And the studio monitors will have to wait to be used once I get my FM3, I assume the FM3 is compatible with studio monitors right? I see two XLR outputs on the FM3, so I guess that is what that is for.

Last edited:
And the studio monitors will have to wait to be used once I get my FM3, I assume the FM3 is compatible with studio monitors right? I see two XLR outputs on the FM3, so I guess that is what that is for.
You can feed the XLR outs to whatever you want, PA, Studio monitors, a mix board, whatever. If you studio monitors do not have XLR inputs, do not fret, you can get a converter to put on the end of the cable or get cables that are XLR on one end and 1/4 inch on the other, just make sure you have the correct male/female connection type if you go that route (same thing with the converters). Congrats on the DT770's, I really like my DT990's and have had them for 7 or 8 years now.

You can feed the XLR outs to whatever you want, PA, Studio monitors, a mix board, whatever. If you studio monitors do not have XLR inputs, do not fret, you can get a converter to put on the end of the cable or get cables that are XLR on one end and 1/4 inch on the other, just make sure you have the correct male/female connection type if you go that route (same thing with the converters). Congrats on the DT770's, I really like my DT990's and have had them for 7 or 8 years now.
oh yeah my monitors have XLR inputs for sure, so i'm all good

Yes you can use the FM3 with the Kali Monitors with 2 XLR cables and they will work great together.
Glad you like the Beyer Dt770 headphones, they are good headphones at a great price.

I really have no idea what the hertz are for guitars, so I was admitly clueless on this, hence why I asked about the subwoofers, but yeah 80Hz does not seem like it would ever been needed for guitars, but, I wonder what it would be for bass guitars?
This will get you started.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Describing_sound

EQChart.jpg

While the guitar in standard pitch won't normally output below 80Hz, dropped tunings and baritone guitars can be below that point. Also, a double-stop 4th on the E and A strings creates a sub-harmonic when we're running a distorted sound that seems like it's about 40Hz. It can shake a room.

if your buying a new unit get the turbo, mugly as well for the cost and the extra cpu power, you’ll be able to run the most complex and demanding presets people make or you yourself design. Just lookup the NYE2023 preset on this forum. it’s crazy it has a built in drum machine, truly next level creativity pushing the unit to new found capabilities. Spending the extra little money is worth it imo.

Back
Top Bottom