Before I buy an Axe FX...I have a routing question!!

Thank you! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm sure many people can relate. The Helix was a big purchase at first, but the more I used it, and the more utility I got from it, the more value it gave me and I quickly forgot about the purchase price. Since I have zero experience with any generation of Fractal products I feel like I'm going in blind. So, bare with me as I get to know the unit... I may have a lot of growing pains.
All good! Nothing like that feeling of expecting a cool new piece of gear. Keep an eye for the big brown truck, as I hear they like to leave even expensive packages on the porch w/o getting the required signature!

JUST BOUGHT IT!!!! Thank you everyone! That is the single most expensive piece of gear I've purchased so it's a little daunting to say the least. I did choose the Turbo, just to future proof myself for several years to come. I'll post my progress after gain some experience with it. I'm looking forward to learning from you all. My biggest influence for getting one is Leon Todd....I will never be able to play like him but just getting the tones he uses will be half the battle. ;) ....well, him and Rocco!!!!
Well, cool!

Just remember to buy tickets for the swimming pool on top of the building. Newbies always forget and then wonder where we disappeared to at happy hour. :)

I was a bit nervous about the price the first time I bought an Axe-Fx. By the time I bought the third one (which was years later), I knew it was money well spent. 👍
Download and read the manual and block list. Also check out the wiki pages and yeks guides....and of course watch all of Leon's videos. Should be enough to keep you busy while you wait. Lol
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Axe-Fx3
Excellent!

You will love it I am sure, and while it might feel an extravagant purchase (I think my used Axe FX II back in 2016 was my most expensive amp purchase at the time, although I was already a way over it for vintage guitars), my amp and effects buying habits changed completely after I went to Fractal. I have comfortably covered the cost of all my modelling gear to date with the sale of amps and effects, and I still have most of the more valuable effects, as well as a few of the amps that I really love.

If you aren't in that position, you'll be saving on all the amps and effects that you would otherwise have bought. Either way, as extravagances go, it's really cost effective. Fun too, especially if you are inquisitive!

Really hope you love the journey even half as much as I have.

Liam

I bought a used II based on a Chris Broderick video showing his gear used for the Rust in Peace anniversary tour (Megadeth/Testament/Slayer).

I had it for 2 weeks, sold my touring Marshall full stack and bought an AxeFX III Turbo and I have NO regrets!! Best investment I ever made and I assure you, look up the definition of Tube Amp Tone Snob and its just a series of pics of my smug ass in front of countless Marshall amps over 30 years. I dont even miss my baby, I am so smitten with the AxeFx. Its rekindled an creative excitement I haven't felt in many years.

I lived your hesitation, and as a recent convert, as others have, I want to reassure you that you DID make the right choice!

Brother, I get goose bumps just THINKING about playing on my AxeFX!! The unit is absolutely glorious, Cliff is an endlessly driven visionary beyond Earthly comprehension, and this community has been as welcoming, helpful, and friendly as I've ever seen. The whole package is greater than the sum of its parts, and in 40+ years of playing I've never been as excited by anything as the AxeFx platform.

Welcome, take a deep breath and try to hold it together until yours arrives, its gonna blow your mind!

<snip>
Brother, I get goose bumps just THINKING about playing on my AxeFX!! The unit is absolutely glorious, Cliff is an endlessly driven visionary beyond Earthly comprehension, and this community has been as welcoming, helpful, and friendly as I've ever seen. The whole package is greater than the sum of its parts, and in 40+ years of playing I've never been as excited by anything as the AxeFx platform.
<snip>
🤣 I love that some others are feeling so much excitement over it all. I have ended up feeling slightly crushed by the responsibility of reproducing, or using alternatively, the endless possibilities in a positive light. That's more to do with me than the Axe FX.

All of my personal frailties aside, the Axe FX's and me have so far made it to the end of every gig without me dashing out to buy, beg, borrow or steal an alternative rig. It puts it right up there with Marshall tube amps from the late '70s, early '80s, a Hiwatt DR103, and some '70s Fender combos so far for me. And of course it imitates any and all of them quite magnificently, at any relative volume in any size room, which is just amazing.

I've had a couple of '60s Vox AC30s over the years that nearly made it, but I couldn't really afford to maintain them at the time, and they really did need careful maintenance. Between Fractal and Mikko Lofgren IRs, I have those too, but without them blowing up mid-gig.

Most other amps just didn't sound that great, and on a couple of occasions, I had to dash home between sets or after soundcheck at great pace to grab a Marshall head to save my sanity.

So yes, glorious, from Axe FX II to Axe FX III for me. I'm still little star-struck by the awe of the possibilities, and maybe a little disappointed in myself for using it mainly to recreate what already feels comfortable. But it does all that incredibly well...

In short, the only thing not to love, for me, is finding time to investigate the endless possibilities and play guitar with them confidently. Re-creation of my favourite rigs has been a slam dunk for some time now, but I need to start doing some new things too.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom