Beard trimmers

I'm with Justin on this: I'm tired of buying new ones every year or so (and I don't buy the $30 ones!) But I'd straight up spend this kind of money if I knew it would last a long time. I know Wahl is a great brand, but something tells me they cheapened out a while back. Any idea how much life I could expect to get out of this kit?

FWIW, I've had my Remington at least 4 or 5 years, probably longer. It's no longer available, most recent review on Amazon is 2017. Battery is shot, but I don't care I use it plugged in.

I've had mine a number of years and it's not shown any issue. Very happy with it.
Thanks
Pauly
I'm with Justin on this: I'm tired of buying new ones every year or so (and I don't buy the $30 ones!) But I'd straight up spend this kind of money if I knew it would last a long time. I know Wahl is a great brand, but something tells me they cheapened out a while back. Any idea how much life I could expect to get out of this kit?

@Dave Merrill - every one I've used requires multiple passes to get everything.

I've also been using a quality Wahl hair trimmer for my head (until 3-4 years ago when I decided to shave it with a razor instead). Same issue there.

I don't think they are designed to cut everything in a single pass.

I've been using a Wahl 9876L for 15 years. It came with every accessory I need, and a whole bunch that I don't. Cost me about $50. It gets used anywhere from weekly to daily. No pulls or tugs. Attachments are still available from the factory. Lithium ion battery FTW.

A few years back (and long out of warranty), it started bogging down. Just wouldn't cut like it used to. I think it was a combination of failing battery and accumulated crud inside. Sent it back to the factory. They fixed it and shipped it back for $13.

And now to the million-dollar question:
Do any of them actually cut pretty much all the hairs in an area in one pass?
Probably not. Watch your barber in the mirror. They make multiple passes. You should, too. For those couple of hairs that just refuse to stand down, I do what my barber does: attack them one by one. I use the narrow clipper attachment. Tik! Tik! Tik! Done.

1625636866066.png

And now to the million-dollar question:

Probably not. Watch your barber in the mirror. They make multiple passes. You should, too. For those couple of hairs that just refuse to stand down, I do what my barber does: attack them one by one. I use the narrow clipper attachment. Tik! Tik! Tik! Done.
Ok then, I don't need to do anything, mine is fine by that standard.

And vot eez zees "barber" you speak ov?

I have used the Panasonic ER149 for many years for head, face and unmentionables. The shortest comb is 3mm, but you can cut without a comb. After about eight years, the battery has somewhat diminished.

I keep my beard short. Not stubble short, but short, and I shave my neck beard.

I've been using a Remington MB-300 trimmer for years, and it's not bad, but I have two gripes, wondering if there's better out there.

- Have to go over the same area multiple times to actually cut all the whiskers there. Of course trimmers need to hold the blades away from your face the amount you say, and I think the comb thingy that does that probably pushes some whiskers down, so it may not be avoidable.

- It pulls a little. Not a huge deal, and it might be just because it's old and not as sharp as it used to be, not really sure.

So, does anyone here have any recommendations?

I don't care about battery life, or even battery power at all. A trimmer tool is handy. I need to be able to set the height and have it just stay there.

"I don't think they are designed to cut everything in a single pass."

Tell that to these guys. @unix-guy

I enlisted out of High School and will never forget that moment.
The best part is not having it actually happen to you, but standing
in line and waiting your turn as 8 barbers are going to town on
guys that will end up being some of your best buddies.

I think us "long hairs" took it the hardest. ;)

Okay, “barber” does seem a bit old-timey. But “stylist” doesn’t really sum it up, and “fur artisan” is just plain pretentious. :D

Haha! Too funny. Even as I sometimes feel like pretentious is the new normal. :)

Okay, “barber” does seem a bit old-timey. But “stylist” doesn’t really sum it up, and “fur artisan” is just plain pretentious. :D
I just meant I haven't gotten a haircut in many years. Hair's pretty long by now, what there is of it ;)

If I decide to get rid of what's left, I'm strongly drawn to ways I can do it myself. Flow-bee, shaver, something self-operated.

Back
Top Bottom