Beamblocker

No point. Beaming occurs when a large diameter cone driver radiates high frequencies with small wavelengths. In a co-ax, the highs are produced by a small tweeter which is about the same diameter as the frequencies it is producing, so no beaming.

I would use "aperture shading" before I used a beam blocker. A simple method is to use a piece of rigid foam and cut a hole in the middle about 3-4" in diameter. IIRC (from my sonar days) polyurethane or polyethylene foam is a good choice.

Aperture shading can be used with a coaxial speaker and will reduce the directivity of the low-frequency driver.

I would use "aperture shading" before I used a beam blocker. A simple method is to use a piece of rigid foam and cut a hole in the middle about 3-4" in diameter. IIRC (from my sonar days) polyurethane or polyethylene foam is a good choice.

Aperture shading can be used with a coaxial speaker and will reduce the directivity of the low-frequency driver.
Otherwise known as (Jay) "Mitchell donut".

http://blog.thegearpage.net/?page_id=424

But as @Tigerfish pointed out, using it with a coaxial driver is pointless

Not pointless. The low frequency driver will be quite directional up to the crossover frequency. This is why the CLR uses a donut.
That's right. So we can say it depends on the crossover frequency, if it's around 1200hz or lower the donut is pretty much useless

I suppose it all comes down to if one is using an existing monitor like a CLR, or trying to build a DIY co-axial driver monitor. Seems rather redundant on something like a CLR which already has a very even dispersion pattern....

I suppose it all comes down to if one is using an existing monitor like a CLR, or trying to build a DIY co-axial driver monitor. Seems rather redundant on something like a CLR which already has a very even dispersion pattern....
Maybe that is because it has this built in.
ghLYd5E.jpg

For regular guitar speakers i´d suggest the Deeflexx - helps preserving band peace and shuts bitchy singers down:)
Joking aside - this really gave me consistent sound no matter what location i´m playing in and i can hear myself clearly without being too loud

I bought a pair of beam blockers a few years back, and installed them in a pair of FRFR speakers I had which were too directional. They really worked well. I no longer have those FRFRs so, if anyone's interested, my beam blockers are available

I have no experience with these. I point my monitors at myself and let FOH handle the rest.

I bought a pair of beam blockers a few years back, and installed them in a pair of FRFR speakers I had which were too directional. They really worked well. I no longer have those FRFRs so, if anyone's interested, my beam blockers are available
What ya want for ‘em?

Back
Top Bottom