BBE Maximizer effect?

sgilsinger

Inspired
I am running my AxeFx2 stereo out to a BBE sonic maximizer into a Matrix power amp into 2 Marshall cabs.This gives my cabs a fuller sound.I also run the XLR's out in stereo to FOH.I was wondering if anyone knows of an effect or tonal adjustment that can be done to replicate the effect that the BBE does to the overall sound,so I can add this to FOH. I am really happy with my new patches using the ultra res cabs,I would just like to "fatten it up" a bit without adding much more bass.I have attached the preset so you can try it for reference.It has 8 Scenes.Thanks for any help.
Scene 1 Rhythm 1
Scene 2 Rhythm 2
Scene 3 Clean 1
Scene 4 Clean 2
Scene 5 Solo 1
Scene 6 Solo 2
Scene 7 Dry rhythm
Scene 8 Dry Lead

Attachments

• Scotts Preset 1 V13.07.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 16
Enhancer block. I Wiki'd (versus wiki'd) exciter, and found these are all the same sorts of device. Check it out, it's enlightening.

Remove that thing from your signal chain. The only thing it will maximize is your frustration when you get totally buried in a live situation.

Refer to this thread:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/80037-bbe-sonic-maximizer.html

The jist of it is this. The second you run your gear through this thing, when it is Bypassed or off, it AUTOMATICALLY scoops a bunch of frequencies 300hz and below. Taking away any balls from your tone.

So now you'll turn it on, and BAM it puts in a massive low end boost and high end boost but does not address the mids. So it tricks you into thinking that you just made your guitar sound more "girthy." In reality, it boosted the Lows, sucked out the mids, and boosted the highs.

And guess what? The guitar is a mid range instrument. So now your guitar won't even come through live whatsoever, and it'll just clash with the bass guitar and more treble based instruments like cymbals.

Try your rig without the Maximizer, and thank me later.

As for your patch, I'll check it out when I get home.

Last edited:
Yeah it's only a low shelf and high shelf that colors your signal in a bad way. Bypassing it is not actual bypass but shows how bad the coloring is. Then turning it on is just a very simple shelf EQ that cuts your middle away which makes guitar disappear in a mix.

My advice: Don't use it!

I only run the BBE through my Marshall cabs,and it helps make the cabs sound better since they are not FRFR.I don't run it to the FOH mix,just looking to fatten the tone a little.

hey fuggedaboutit, just another filter, filtering the filterable; seriously Ive downloaded presets from guys with all sorts of graphic eqs, shelving filters, param. equs, and OFTEN the patch sounds better with all this removed;

Remove that thing from your signal chain. The only thing it will maximize is your frustration when you get totally buried in a live situation.

+1000

I've posted it before, but it bears repeating:

Let me save you the trouble of an intervention down the road.

Maximizers are the guitar gear equivalent of crack. The experience one goes through is identical:

1. The first hit: You hook it up and initially think "Oh MY GOD this the greatest thing EVER DOOOOOD!!!!!111!!!!1! I've found THE tone!"

2. You start using on a regular basis: Buy some model BBE, hook to rig, engage it 100% of the time. Rewrite all your patches.

3. You try to get your friends hooked: Dude, check out my rig, this thing takes it over the top!!!.

4. You go into addiction/denial: Friends think your tone has gone to sh*t but you think it is totally awesome. You start talking msinformed BS about different sound frequencies traveling at different velocities (hint: violation of Newtonian physics).

5. There is an intervention: Friend let's you A/B his non-maximizer rig versus yours in live setting, Yours sounds like over-processed dung, his rocks. He tells you, as a Bro, the BBE must go. You realize the BBE is a band aid for guitar tone and not even a good one at that.

6. You go into rehab: Another "like new" BBE xx2 unit hits eBay.

7. Regret: I wasted a sh*tload of time futzing with my rig, patches, etc, and my tone isn't any better and I'm back to square one. I Wonder what GE-7 pedals are going for these days.

I've found the BBE to work wonders if it is used on appropriate program material and speakers. It degraded the sound when using high fidelity program material through a pair of high end studio monitors. But when I used it on an album made in the early 70s through a pair of small Electro Voice speakers, the improvement in fidelity was astonishing. The BBE made the EVs sound like a totally different pair of speakers. HUGE improvement. I think the sweeping generalizations on this thread are worthless.

I've found the BBE to work wonders if it is used on appropriate program material and speakers. It degraded the sound when using high fidelity program material through a pair of high end studio monitors. But when I used it on an album made in the early 70s through a pair of small Electro Voice speakers, the improvement in fidelity was astonishing. The BBE made the EVs sound like a totally different pair of speakers. HUGE improvement. I think the sweeping generalizations on this thread are worthless.

Yes, if it sounds good to your ears, makes sense to use it. Probably not too gig friendly though, that whole mids thing...

Last edited:
The OP asked for suggestions as to how to simulate the effect because he likes it. So what does he get in response? "The product sucks. Kill it. Burn it. Bury it." Followed by flat out incorrect explanations of how it functions. Not helpful.

Add MultiComp to the end of the chain and crank up the highs and lows.

[... and that's how you sell shitty equipment in the music store.]

The OP asked for suggestions as to how to simulate the effect because he likes it. So what does he get in response? "The product sucks. Kill it. Burn it. Bury it." Followed by flat out incorrect explanations of how it functions. Not helpful.

True, not helpful (tone wise), yet accurate in some applications. If you insert it in by-bass mode in your chain and it affects your tone (sucks the tone), this is certainly relevant information, and probably useful for some, maybe even the OP...

To the OP, I know of no easy way of replicating the BBE using blocks in the Axe. It uses high and low shelves that are modulated dynamically based on the content of the midrange. It also splits the signal into three frequency bands and delays the lows with respect to the mids, and the mids with respect to the highs. It can degrade or improve the sound depending on what gear you use it with and how you use it. I really have to laugh at the guys on Youtube who put this thing on a scope and run white noise or sine waves into it and say "Look! It screws up your sound!" If you like how it sounds, I suggest that you use it as you have been.

Back
Top Bottom