BB Pre and AX8 Drive Comparison

jamn4jc

Experienced
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but the drives in the AX8 are the real deal. I sold my Axe-FXII before G3 and Quantam and always struggled to get a drive sound that I was 100% happy with. When I got the AX8, that is the very first thing I dove in to. The results weren't immediate, but they came quickly. I am absolutely thrilled and 100% content with what I can get out of the unit.

I made a quick demo for another forum that I frequent to demo the AX8. Hope this does it some justice:

NOTE: the drives are close, but not identical, but that's not entirely the point. The point is that the AX8 sounds great and better than "good enough".

Well done.
To me , the tone itself is identical , with the exception that the AX8 would need to be tweaked just a tad to add the high-end bite of your BB , IF you wanted it to sound exactly the same.
That said , that "bite" , as I called it , could be considered either desirable or nondesirable , depending upon your view.
.... nice video.

Interesting, I don't use that tone per-say, but one of the things I noticed right away upgrading to the AX8 (I'm not even gonna say what I had before bc it will hijack your thread) was the improved tube screamer. The screamer on the AX8 sounded more like the real Ibanez pedal, and the other companies sounded harsh and fizzy. I was able to get one of their other drive pedals to work, but it just didn't sound the same. The screamer on the AX8 is very workable with the tone knob in the right place!

Back
Top Bottom