Bassman challenge TMA

Cool! I know this Youtube Clip for Years! This Bassmann is damn cool! On my Notebook Speakers it sound dead on! thumps up!

I don't know what your settings are, but, at least in my opinion, it sounds a little fizzy when you first hit the strings. Maybe turn the gain down a bit? You're definitely in the ballpark, though. And, fwiw, Stan got a kick out of the fact that people were trying to dial in his tone with the Axe; he thought it was pretty cool.

Also, when I get a chance, I'll tone match my Bassman using Stan's settings (or whatever gets closest to that sound on my amp) by micing it up, and will then share the preset. It'll be at least a couple weeks, though.

I don't know what your settings are, but, at least in my opinion, it sounds a little fizzy when you first hit the strings.

I started with the same settings (or close) to what I could see in the youtube video but it sounded too weak so I did turn up the gain. I think it's possible to get a lot closer but we'll need someone such as you to match the real thing through better recording gear instead of from youtube.

Even though I'm not playing it right, the match had more trouble on the higher parts so I think the match needs to be done with frequency sweep instead of playing. I can't wait until we have a wide selection of high quality matches.

I'll get on it as soon as possible. I have a really great sounding '60 Tweed Bassman, some great mics to choose from, and two excellent mic pres. I should be able to get a very nice match. One problem: I just got my Axe, haven't unboxed it yet, and I'm totally new to this. May need some help. :)

One other suggestion: Maybe back off the reverb a little, or tuck it further back in the mix? I know Stan has a Fender Spring reverb unit, but a lot of the tone you hear is from the amp. That amp is so huge sounding, and the notes ring out so clearly that I think the reverb is almost superfluous. You can definitely hear it, but I think yours is a bit too prominent. My .02 at least.

One other suggestion: Maybe back off the reverb a little

I had a hard time with the reverb... I used a the medium spring but couldn't get it to sound right. It was either too much or too little. I guess the clip I posted had too much. I think I've only used one spring reverb (long long ago) and it wasn't very good so I don't have a good reference point for making it sound like the real thing.

I had a hard time with the reverb... I used a the medium spring but couldn't get it to sound right. It was either too much or too little. I guess the clip I posted had too much. I think I've only used one spring reverb (long long ago) and it wasn't very good so I don't have a good reference point for making it sound like the real thing.

Did you insert the reverb first in the chain? If not, try that. It needs to be compressed/ducked by the amp.

Love it !
I'd just take a little treble out the high end in the EQ but as the reverb, for my 0.02 sounds great as does the low end and mid !

Preset and IR enclosed

The Preset!

I finally got around to adjusting this slightly for 6.02. This is not a duplicate of the youtube video but you might like it. If not, I think the CAB (from a TMATCH) will get you closer.

Before you try please note the following:
1. Load the enclosed IR to the AxeFX and make sure it is selected in the CAB block. This is the key component to the sound.

2. If you want to use the wah, change the source controller to yours. I set it to something other than External 1 which you may have assigned. This preset sounds better without the wah.

3. Tune down to D to sound like the youtube clip. Playing without tuning down won't sound as good in my opinion. In a pinch, if you don't want to retune, enable the Pitch block which is set to detune a whole step. Try to use a single coil neck pickup (ideally an old strat).

4. Start with the Input Trim on the Amp block to adjust for different guitar levels. Use the Amp Mixer Level to avoid clipping.

Attachments

• Bassman Challenge Grape.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 42
  • BassmanChallenge.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom