Bass guitar

Bertotti

Inspired
I am curious for those playing bass are you running to an actual bass cab or using a cab IR, hope that’s the correct term. I have not bought a bass guitar because I do not have a bass cab. Now with my qscK10 or headphones I was hoping I wouldn’t need a bass cab. Are any dyna packs suitable for a bass guitar?

Theres no bass ir section of storage, you have to know bass cab models by brand/name. Many vendors sell bass cab IRs as well.
Ah and I don’t know them by name but I will check Genz Benz or Mesa will for an IR. Thanks and apologies new if this is way to basic. It’s all new to me! Well the modeling side anyway. But a butt load of fun so far!

As an aside I have heard my type of amp, a triple xxx head into a bass can and it sounded fantastic! So naturally it has me looking for an axe equivalent. Although the triple xx doesn’t seem to be in the Axe library. And to my ears a different animal to 5150-6150 or whatever the axe model is of.

Ah and I don’t know them by name but I will check Genz Benz or Mesa will for an IR. Thanks and apologies new if this is way to basic. It’s all new to me! Well the modeling side anyway. But a butt load of fun so far!
There are ampeg, mesa boogie and i think some boutique IRs in the factory banks. Search 115, 210, 215, 410 and 810 as those are standard bass cab sizes (though many fenders come in 210 and 410 config too).

The triple X has an active eq unlike nearly all other peavey models - swap an active tonestack in the 5150 model and it may get closer. I personally prefer the 5150 by a wide margin.

There are ampeg, mesa boogie and i think some boutique IRs in the factory banks. Search 115, 210, 215, 410 and 810 as those are standard bass cab sizes (though many fenders come in 210 and 410 config too).

The triple X has an active eq unlike nearly all other peavey models - swap an active tonestack in the 5150 model and it may get closer. I personally prefer the 5150 by a wide margin.
I got both of my triple xxx a half stack and super forty because guys bought went home and couldn’t dial them in. They didn’t understand the act e EQ. I showed a friend and he was upset he didn’t realize it from the start. Their loss my win. I low the 5150 just prefer the xxx. But I also like the small Jax mini colossal I have so I’m not normal apparently.

I worked at a peavey dealer and knew the eq was active, just not my thing. Fortunately thats why brands make multiple models hehe.

Let us know how the bass cab IR works out! I forget what Im using with my precision.

I worked at a peavey dealer and knew the eq was active, just not my thing. Fortunately thats why brands make multiple models hehe.

Let us know how the bass cab IR works out! I forget what Im using with my precision.
I don’t have a bass yet but this flexibility has made it much more possible. I literally just didn’t buy one because I didn’t have a cab. Now that road block is gone!

Last edited:
I play my AF3 with bass all the time, probably more than I do guitar these days.

I set up my patches to be dual path generally:

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 13.20.53.png

1) Path 1 has a filter that is a low pass to just get the fundamental
2) Path 2 has a high pass filter to cut out the super low end and goes through a more traditional route (amp+cab+drive pedals and a touch of reverb or delay to make playing in the room sound better). I mainly use an 8x10 IR, or a 4x10 + 1x15. I need to spend time in the DynaCab section for bass, but waiting on some IRs that should be landing soon hopefully that I saw mentioned here before really exploring too much there.

They get melded together to a single output so any distortion I add won't destroy the low end of my bass. I think this is the best of both worlds mix and it just sits perfectly in any recording situation I've used it in.

I think most people initially load up the SVT model, but I think the Mesa 400 2 is the superior bass amp in the AF3 lineup for my taste!

Cab IR in the PA sound really good. If you want to have a cab behind you, you can also. I have gigged on bass direct and it was perfect to me

Back
Top Bottom