Bash My Guitar Tone

Oh right, I forgot about the stems!

So since I had to rock the stems, I figured I'd give one last crack. I do get very different information between my headphones and monitors. I believe that's because the headphones aren't being impacted by the bitch of the room, but there's not much in the way of bottom end on these so balancing the bass is a bit tricky.

I've tried to sorta get a happy medium between the two? But I suspect that the guitars are still too loud and...to be honest I'm not sure where the bass is going to translate to at all! (Yes, I know. I'm buying a new house this year). On my monitors the bass sounds too loud and the guitars too quiet, but on my headphones it's the opposite. Go figure.

I noticed that last time in my effort to get some sizzle, there wasn't much in the way of mids so I've tried to sorta balance that out a bit better.

I also tinkered with the MB compressor. I threw it on the high-mids of the guitar (around 1500?) doing ALMOST bugger all in an effort to smooth them out a little bit? It seems to have worked, but if that's killing a super important dynamic area, let me know. According to the AWESOME Fabfilter GUI, it's barely reducing any level so I don't think it's having a huge impact there, but happy to learn :)

Last Crack:

I'm away this weekend so I won't be able to tinker with it! I'll have time to get used to the new sounds and "learn" them a bit more.

Link To All Stems:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0azutixrjrtrcgi/STEMS.rar?dl=0

Hope that works? Haven't done a dropbox share thing like this.

Cheers for all your help so far :)

Oh right, I forgot about the stems!
Hopefully I catch you while you're still around. In your DAW what's the project's bpm, bit rate, and sample rate? (Like: 120bpm, 32 bit, 48kHz)
Haven't checked the folder yet, so maybe the information is in it. Anyway, thanks for the stems!

Last edited:
@H13 I had some time yesterday evening and this morning to give it a go. I basically just did the fundamentals that I was describing to you. I didn't do any editing or typical cleanup work that I'd normally do. I didn't even mess with the drums that much (mainly because I'm too lazy). So, here you go. Let me know what you think.

*EDIT* I didn't check my mix on several sound sources like I normally do (again, was being lazy about this one). Anyway, heard it on my living room speakers and didn't like how the kick wasn't marrying with the bass the way I like. So, here's the updated mix.

Last edited:
Cheers for your patience!

There's some definite improvements in your mix. Noticably the snare, how the bass sits and the clarity of the guitars. I'd like a LITTLE bit more bottom end to the guitars but I'm being a nitpicky prick :p

I'd love to know what you did to it all :)

I'd love to know what you did to it all :)
Noticably the snare, how the bass sits and the clarity of the guitars.
Well, I don't want to be redundant, so you can go back and read all of my comments and that's pretty much what I did.

I didn't do anything to the snare, ha ha. Just dropped the level down a bit. You're probably hearing it better because it's not competing with the other instruments at the 200Hz mark (because of the moves I've already explained).

Guitar wise, the only thing that I did that I haven't explained was notch some fizz nodes out of each track. Two on the Explorer and one on the Les Paul. The "clarity" you're probably hearing is my Q3D plugin by Volko. I'm only using the high-shelf boost at 10kHz for some air (which I've already made a comment concerning this).

Other than that, I would suggest just to go back and reread my previous comments. You should have enough info to help you out. :)

@H13 I will say this about the kick. I didn't like it. I like my kick's thump in the 50 to 70Hz range. Yours was way different and was clashing with the mix. I did finagle it around to work. Cut some junk at 150Hz and used a peak boost at 60Hz. Both were pretty extreme moves, somewhere around 6dB's each. I also used my Drawmer S73 on it, too.

You're hi-hats were very harsh, too. I used a very extreme hi-shelf cut at 2.7kHz with -7.5dB. So, it affected from 2.7kHz and above, removing that harshness.

Back
Top Bottom