Baritone guitars... And, go!

his focus is metal, but that doesn't mean all those guitars are. and you can tune them any way you want, with the right string guages. it's just handy to see all the different ones out there. i'm sure there are plenty more.

if you can't find what you want off the shelf, then why not look at warmoth?

his focus is metal, but that doesn't mean all those guitars are. and you can tune them any way you want, with the right string guages. it's just handy to see all the different ones out there. i'm sure there are plenty more.

if you can't find what you want off the shelf, then why not look at warmoth?
Agreed... as I said, it made me aware of more options. I was pretty sure they could be tuned differently but with something like a 29 or 30" scale length that's most likely not what I want.

The Warmoth suggestion was made a few posts back and I did reply that I am considering that. The issue there is I only have 1 suitable guitar that I'm not sure I want to modify, so I most likely would be building or buying another one.

I was torn between a 7-string and a baritone but didn't want a very long scale length. I eventually wound up with an Ibanez RGDIR6M, 26.5" scale. Swapped the pickups out with some Bareknuckle Black Dogs and, combined with the rounder feeling Wizard neck version, I really like the way it plays and sounds.

I've tried tunings from drop A to D standard and it performs quite nicely. I also like the simplicity of it; pickup selector and volume knob. Oh...it also has luminescent side dots which are cool. Hardware is pretty good as well, Gotoh MG-T Locking tuners and the Gibraltar bridge is solid and stable.

I was torn between a 7-string and a baritone but didn't want a very long scale length. I eventually wound up with an Ibanez RGDIR6M, 26.5" scale. Swapped the pickups out with some Bareknuckle Black Dogs and, combined with the rounder feeling Wizard neck version, I really like the way it plays and sounds.

I've tried tunings from drop A to D standard and it performs quite nicely. I also like the simplicity of it; pickup selector and volume knob. Oh...it also has luminescent side dots which are cool. Hardware is pretty good as well, Gotoh MG-T Locking tuners and the Gibraltar bridge is solid and stable.
I like a tone control... But hadn't thought about a pickup swap.

I just wanted to follow up on the thread to say thanks to @hippietim for making me a good deal on a (barely) used Warmoth conversion Tele neck (24 fret).

I got it today and swapped it onto my partscaster Tele. Got it tuned up and intonated earlier today and just spent an hour or so playing around with it.

I put a set of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings on it - .012-.056.

I'm thinking it will definitely work it's way into my music...

I need a bit of truss rod adjustment (a little too much relief), though I think I also want to try a string set that is just a touch lighter (I normally use .009-.042 so probably an .011 set.

It's also just a bit neck heavy...

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

I just wanted to follow up on the thread to say thanks to @hippietim for making me a good deal on a (barely) used Warmoth conversion Tele neck (24 fret).

I got it today and swapped it onto my partscaster Tele. Got it tuned up and intonated earlier today and just spent an hour or so playing around with it.

I put a set of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings on it - .012-.056.

I'm thinking it will definitely work it's way into my music...

I need a bit of truss rod adjustment (a little too much relief), though I think I also want to try a string set that is just a touch lighter (I normally use .009-.042 so probably an .011 set.

It's also just a bit neck heavy...

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

I used 12s on it. Even if you go to 11s, you may want to look at a hybrid set because the low strings can get pretty floppy. Ernie Ball does a couple hybrid 11 sets - 11-52 and 11-54.

I have the black sparkle danelectro

It's nice

Kinda sounds like the theme to forensic files

I have an OLP Baritone too but set it up/string it to be a Bass VI
I paid $40 for the OLP it's a very solid/well built guitar, really impressed by it- and for some reasons the Baritone model OLP MM5 go for $400-500 somehow

I say go cheap- spend $150 on a used Danelectro- I think up to $1000 is a little much for something someone unpractical or useful... also a 7 string guitar might be an option too

I have an OLP baritone that I got on FB Marketplace for $200. You don't see too many of them around for sale. OLP instruments always seemed like they were really good for the money.

I used 12s on it. Even if you go to 11s, you may want to look at a hybrid set because the low strings can get pretty floppy. Ernie Ball does a couple hybrid 11 sets - 11-52 and 11-54.
I'm actually wondering if maybe I should go with 13s and tune A-A instead of B-B...

I didn't find anything specifically labeled as "baritone" that were smaller than 12s.

Back
Top Bottom