Bandmates complaining about tone....

OK, I did it. AB testing. SD-1 pedal between guitar and FX8 and I switched the fx8 in an out by using the true bypass feature.

I was able to get them to sound within, say, 90% of each other. With further tweaking, I could get it even closer (I only spent 5 mins doing this)

Here's what I found out.... The EQing requirements are different because with the pedal, the head's gain is higher, which thickens the tone. So right off the bat, the pedal sounded really full and beefy, and had more gain. I can compensate with some EQing to fix that tomorrow.

I think I totally barked up the wrong tree with the global EQing I was doing before. I will tweak some more tomorrow and report back.

I'm also going to Guitar center to see about getting what I need to get the channel switching working. There's another post about that though..

Thanks again to all!

The SD-1 (a real one) is the core drive I used with my vintage AC30. I've had no problem at all getting the same tones with the Fractal model. I agree with what others have said about the Global EQ--no need at all to go that route. Just mess with your drive settings until you nail it. I'd be really surprised if you weren't able to.

yeah, by doing some a/b testing I got them real close. But there's something to the SD-1 that I can't get, that last 3% to make them totally similar. No matter what I do, the pedal sounds "bigger" , less compressed. I'm trying to find a workaround for that now.... BUT, it's really close now.

yeah, by doing some a/b testing I got them real close. But there's something to the SD-1 that I can't get, that last 3% to make them totally similar. No matter what I do, the pedal sounds "bigger" , less compressed. I'm trying to find a workaround for that now.... BUT, it's really close now.
If you want to go more in depth, go to the Advanced parameters and try lowering the sample rate to @ 24,000 Hz. Does the trick on some of the drives for me.

I tried it, but cant really hear a difference. I'm not sure what some of the parameters do, so I get scared to mess with them....haha...
I got it pretty close, but like I mentioned before, no matter how close I get it, there's just something about the pedal that makes it sound "bigger" and more "raw".....less "compressed"

Yeah, Ive messed with them. There are a few that sound better to my ears, but for the tone I need for the band, the Super OD (aka SD-1) is right. I'm like 95% there, I just can't figure out what parameter can "open up" the FAS Super OD to sound more like the SD-1

the default for locw cut is 20hz, actually I raised it to 650hz gives it a bit more articulation and less flub, but maybe 650 it too high?

the default for locw cut is 20hz, actually I raised it to 650hz gives it a bit more articulation and less flub, but maybe 650 it too high?
650 Hz is radically high for a low cut. At that frequency, you're going to lose things you don't want to lose.

Realistically, anything below 550hz and the woofieness begins.
I don't want to start with the eq blocks again, that's where things went wrong in the first place. I've got it damn close, but the pedal seems to have a little more "grind" to it..... Less compression is the best way I can describe it. No matter how close I get it, the pedal just seems more "alive".
Nonetheless, I think I have it pretty good now, I'll be back at rehearsal this Sunday and we'll see. I bought this FX8 for this 12/9 gig and I need it to work for me......

I've also been getting some insane amounts of noise, so I have some humbusters on the way. I don't have a humx, but I have something that I feel is better...

It's supposed to have some crazy filtering in it......https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-4-...-3300-joules-tel-fax-modem-suppession~ISOTEL/

The Isobar did NOTHING to help with the noise...hahah......so I'm hoping the humbusters help....

I think that they're talking about the 'Low Cut' in the Drive block???
Okay, 40th thread of the day...forgetting what I'd read in the tread earlier...I'm busted! :)

650 Hz low-cut isn't all that radical in a Drive block.

FX8 Sounded great at last nights rehearsal!

The only unresolved issue is that it freezes up on me. Weird, only at the rehearsal space, doesn't do it at home at all.....I had mentioned a few weeks ago that F3 stopped working, and a reboot fixed it. Someone mentioned a bad connection, but I don't think that's it. Last night the whole unit started locking up. None of the footswitches worked, so I had to play the song on the wrong preset, then reboot between songs...However, last night it did it about 3 or 4 times. It seems like a software issue. I gotta call Fractal on this. The problem is that I bought it for my 12/9 gig which is right around the corner, so I don't really have time to send it in to get looked at. I hope it doesn't do it at the gig!....lol
I'll have to bring some backup gear.....

Pay close attention to which preset you are using when it locks up. It may be a corrupt preset that is causing the issue?

If so, you can copy and paste a 'blank' preset into that location, then try an older version of the preset from a back-up, or re-do it from scratch.

It's happened to me a couple of times. The other clue is...... when attempting to make a back-up, the process will freeze up at the same place each time. The exact % that it fails at will help you find the corrupt preset in that Bank. Example......If it locks up at 50%, then the culprit is at around #64, etc....

Mark from Fractal got back to me. He thinks it might be power/ground related at the rehearsal place. It doesn't happen at the same preset, so we kinda ruled out a corrupt preset. I've only had the unit for around a month and it's only been used in my bedroom and the rehearsal spot, but it NEVER does it at home...
He mentioned trying another power cable. I have a heavy duty Mercury Magnetics cord that I'll start using..
(problem---- no more rehearsals between now and this saturdays gig!) Nonetheless, I'll probably take my old pedalboard this sat night as a backup..... Hopefully there arent any issues.....got my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom