Backup settings, update firmware and restore settings of MFC-101 with no midi (Axe-Fx II)

Jupiter

Inspired
Hi guys and gals, long time lurker, I need some help!

I own an AxeFXII and an MFC101 since Nov 2011 but to be quite honest I was rarely updating their firmwares.

After all these years I just wanted to use the MFC with the looper but it still has the 1.04 firmware (yes, that’s one point zero four, it’s not a typo), so I simply can’t.

I recently updated the AxeFXII to v10.11 so that’s that.

The challenge is; I need to find a way to back up the current MFC’s settings, update to the latest firmware and restore the settings while NOT having a midi interface (I spent several hours programming it when I first bought it, I’d rather not go through this again).

So, here come the questions:

1) Is there a way to back up the MFC’c settings without using a midi interface/cable?

2) Is there a way to update the MFC without using a midi interface/cable? (EDIT: OK, I thing I’ve got this, according to this link https://support.fractalaudio.com/article/7-mfc-101-firmware-update-guide-fractal-bot all I have to do is to follow the “ADVANCED: Power via Ethernet/EtherCon” method)

3) Is there a way to restore the MFC’c settings without using a midi interface/cable?

Thanks in advance!

From the same link, right above the Advanced section:
It is NOT POSSIBLE to update the MFC-101 over an Axe-Fx II Ethernet/EtherCon connection.

You MUST use a MIDI Cable to connect the Axe-Fx II MIDI OUT to the MFC-101 MIDI IN.

The part you mentioned is for POWER only, not the update.

Is there a reason you can use midi? A couple short midi cables is probably $10 on Amazon. Using the section from that link about "USB Adapter mode" will work with only the Axe Fx and MFC plus midi cables.

Also, note that there were changes to function assignments at MFC FW 3.08, so restoring your settings after update will probably not work well.

Questions 1 and 3 are the same, just send vs receive.

From the same link, right above the Advanced section:

The part you mentioned is for POWER only, not the update.

Is there a reason you can use midi? A couple short midi cables is probably $10 on Amazon. Using the section from that link about "USB Adapter mode" will work with only the Axe Fx and MFC plus midi cables.

Oh, boy, I am getting blind. You're right, thanks for that!

Actually I am pretty sure I have a couple of midi cables lying around, so yes, I might as well follow the "OPTIONAL: Using the Axe-Fx II as a MIDI Interface" directions of the link.

Also, note that there were changes to function assignments at MFC FW 3.08, so restoring your settings after update will probably not work well.

OK, that might be a dealbreaker. I have to do some thinking, maybe it's better for me to manually assign 4-5 looper commands to the MFC than updating the firmware.

Questions 1 and 3 are the same, just send vs receive.

Good point, thanks mate!

Thank you!

OK, that might be a dealbreaker. I have to do some thinking, maybe it's better for me to manually assign 4-5 looper commands to the MFC than updating the firmware.
Check all the release notes... You're FW version is really old. I had mine for years and it was already on 3.04 or something.

Actually, the functional changes may have only effected Axe-Edit... It's been a few years and I don't remember.

I love the internet.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Firmware_release_notes_-_MFC-101

Looks like there were several FWs along the way where IA assignments were updated.

On the plus side, you don't currently have support for TotalSync or Scenes, and those will be big improvements, too.

I think as long as you take note of what you've assigned to the IAs and correct any that require it afterwards you'll be fine.

Thank you!

I am still thinking about it, I have other priorities right now, like to make the Midi Guirar 2 work with the AxeFxII but that's alright, I'll make a new thread about it.

Thanks for your time!

Thank you!

I am still thinking about it, I have other priorities right now, like to make the Midi Guirar 2 work with the AxeFxII but that's alright, I'll make a new thread about it.

Thanks for your time!
I finally got things working with Midi Guitar 2 on my Axe Fx III last week.

I am running it on iPad using the iTrack Dock.

The Axe Fx II I/O is different, so not sure how you would do what I'm doing... But it's a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom