Can Axe-Fx III be used for MFC firmware upgrades?

quark

Experienced
I used to do firmware upgrades on the MFC with an old Tascam US-144 usb 2.0 audio/midi interface. That device no longer works and I was wondering if anyone has used the Axe-Fx III itself for firmware upgrades to the MFC. Any tricks to doing that if possible?

Not possible.

You need some sort of USB to midi adapter.
The III is a USB MIDI device.

@quark it might work. Connect MIDI out on the III to MIDI in on the MFC. Put the MFC in update mode. Use something like Bome’s SysEx software and select the III as the MIDI device. Set the send rate really low and then fire the firmware through the software.

Might actually work.

The III is a USB MIDI device.

@quark it might work. Connect MIDI out on the III to MIDI in on the MFC. Put the MFC in update mode. Use something like Bome’s SysEx software and select the III as the MIDI device. Set the send rate really low and then fire the firmware through the software.

Might actually work.
My comments before were based on Fractal staff posts relative to "USB adapter mode" that existed on the Axe Fx II.

So, yes, a hack such as this might work... ;)

Hardly a hack. It's a fully-compliant MIDI interface.
You are hacking things together to make a workable solution... Axe Fx + Bome + MFC.

This is a hack... I didn't say it was a bad thing. It's the very definition of a good hack (if it works). ;)

You are hacking things together to make a workable solution... Axe Fx + Bome + MFC.

This is a hack... I didn't say it was a bad thing. It's the very definition of a good hack (if it works). ;)
It might work with Fractal-Bot too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One only knows if they try.

What is certainly true is it's possible.

It might work with Fractal-Bot too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One only knows if they try.

What is certainly true is it's possible.
True... But I guess I would have expected Fractal to comment to that effect. The answer provided was "you need a USB to midi adapter".

Actually, thinking this thru, what you wrote won't work. The midi OUT only sends midi generated by the Axe Fx.

The midi thru might work.

My concern here is that I suspect the a Axe Fx might "freak out" when that sysex stream comes in.

I believe the adapter mode on Axe Fx II basically instructed the Axe Fx to ignore incoming sysex.

Actually, thinking this thru, what you wrote won't work. The midi OUT only sends midi generated by the Axe Fx.
See page 18 in the manual under MIDI-OVER-USB. That makes me think MIDI sent from computer via USB will appear at the MIDI Out port. If it doesn't, that feels very broken.

See page 18 in the manual under MIDI-OVER-USB. That makes me think MIDI sent from computer via USB will appear at the MIDI Out port. If it doesn't, that feels very broken.
Hmm... I don't get anything from that section that says anything about what goes out of the DIN ports. And I'm pretty sure I've read threads where it was confirmed that midi over USB does not transmit thru to the DIN ports now that I think about it.

I have definitely seen posts from Fractal that only midi generated on the Axe Fx itself goes to the midi out.

Anyway... Hopefully it does work. I'm happy to be proven wrong in this case :D

Hmm... I don't get anything from that section that says anything about what goes out of the DIN ports. And I'm pretty sure I've read threads where it was confirmed that midi over USB does not transmit thru to the DIN ports now that I think about it.

I have definitely seen posts from Fractal that only midi generated on the Axe Fx itself goes to the midi out.

Anyway... Hopefully it does work. I'm happy to be proven wrong in this case :D
@unix-guy I ran some tests using the III and the Focusrite and MIDI Loupe and you are 100% correct. Neither the MIDI Out or MIDI Thru ports echo MIDI data sent to the AFIII over the USB MIDI In path.

@quark I stand corrected. You can't use the III to update the MFC.

So just to clarify about this topic, there's no way to use MFC Edit unless you have a II to connect to the MFC? Meaning if you have a III you have to program everything through the MFC?

So just to clarify about this topic, there's no way to use MFC Edit unless you have a II to connect to the MFC? Meaning if you have a III you have to program everything through the MFC?
You don't need a II, but you can't use a III. You could use a MIDI device like a UMG-1 or the MIDI connectors from your audio interface if it has them.

Back
Top Bottom