Backing Tracks Set up

Krankle

Hello, if I am interested in playing the Ax8 along with backing tracks to practice, using headphones, what does that set up look like?

Since I'm assuming there's interaction between the Ax8 and my Windows 10 PC,

1) would I have the headphones plugged into the Ax8 or my PC?

2) would I need an ASIO interface like a Focusrite Scarlett or does the Ax8 accomplish the same?

3) Does it matter what app I use to play backing tracks (ie: itunes)?

4) I should be able to switch between presets (clean to tubescreamer) using the Ax8 foot switches as normal, right?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello, if I am interested in playing the Ax8 along with backing tracks to practice, using headphones, what does that set up look like?

Since I'm assuming there's interaction between the Ax8 and my Windows 10 PC,

1) would I have the headphones plugged into the Ax8 or my PC?

2) would I need an ASIO interface like a Focusrite Scarlett or does the Ax8 accomplish the same?

4) I should be able to switch between presets (clean to tubescreamer) using the Ax8 foot switches as normal, right?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
the AX8 doesn't have a headphone jack. the AX8 also does not have a USB audio interface.

so you'd need some other sort of interface or just a simple mixer to blend both the AX8 and computer signal into one feed to a headphone output.

changing presets would be the same in any situation.

the app used most likely won't matter.

Thank you Chris, does the Axe Fx 2 or 3 have a headphone jack and a usb interface?

When you say mixer are you referring to some piece of hardware?

Thank you Chris, does the Axe Fx 2 or 3 have a headphone jack and a usb interface?

When you say mixer are you referring to some piece of hardware?
the Axe-Fx II and III both have headphone jacks and USB Audio Interfaces. however, the integrated Footswitches and small size of the AX8 are a huge benefit, and a ~$100 - $200 interface isn't that out of reach. even with the Axe2 and Axe3, i use them with a separate audio interface. you'll have to decide what is best for your situation.

yes, a mixer:

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 5.24.06 PM.png

Thank you!

What does this part mean "and a ~$100 - $200 interface isn't that out of reach. even with the Axe2 and Axe3," (is 100-200 the price of the mixers. and are you saying I would still need a mixer if I buy the Axe Fx 2 or 3, or no I wouldn't since the 2 and 3 have headphone jacks and usb?)

You're saying you have a set up like this with a mixer?

Maybe you could advise me on what hardware to buy and then I could pay an audio engineer to set it up in the event I can't figure it out. It sounds a little complicated.

Thank you!

What does this part mean "and a ~$100 - $200 interface isn't that out of reach. even with the Axe2 and Axe3," (is 100-200 the price of the mixers. and are you saying I would still need a mixer if I buy the Axe Fx 2 or 3, or no I wouldn't since the 2 and 3 have headphone jacks and usb?)

You're saying you have a set up like this with a mixer?

Maybe you could advise me on what hardware to buy and then I could pay an audio engineer to set it up in the event I can't figure it out. It sounds a little complicated.
The Axe Fx II and III do not need a mixer or any interface. Just a USB cable.

So if the Axe Fx 2 only needs a usb cable to plug into my PC, it appears to be the PC friendly option for use with backing tracks.

If I want to use a footswitch would I have to use the MFC 101 MIDI controller, or are there more simple options? I'm a little intimidated my MIDI and in the past haven't really understood it. Maybe with a properly written user manual I could learn how to use it though.

What do you think?

You can use just about any midi controller... But you will need to program the midi stuff. The MFC is pretty plug and play.

Thank you!

So I could use this one? (It may only have 3 presets though I need to check)
Amazon product ASIN B002YL81RW
I'm not opposed to the MFC but they are like $1000 on top of the cost of the Axe Fx 2. The MFC being a MIDI foor controller doesnt have similar capabilities to the Ax8, or does it? For that money I am wondering if it is a live option like the Ax8.

Thank you!

I'm not opposed to the MFC but they are like $1000 on top of the cost of the Axe Fx 2. The MFC being a MIDI foor controller doesnt have similar capabilities to the Ax8, or does it? For that money I am wondering if it is a live option like the Ax8.

I'm going to list a different MIDI controller in my next post, I can't post a link until after my 10th post which is this one.

Thank you!

So I could use this one? (It may only have 3 presets though I need to check)
Amazon product ASIN B002YL81RW
You can't use that controller... It's for midi over USB.

The MFC is not $1000... Most likely $350-ish used (they are now discontinued so no new option).

The MFC can do many of the same things that is possible on the AX-8, but not all of them.

If could find one in the $100-$200 range I'd be into that, or if I can find an MFC around $350 maybe that would be worth it. Right now though the cheapest ones on ebay are $700 plus.

Thanks guys!

To get back to my original questions so I can visualize what plugs in where, I'd like to revisit these questions:

Since I'm assuming there's interaction between the Ax Fx and my Windows 10 PC,

1) I'm assuming I would have my guitar and headphones plugged into the Ax Fx (or do headphones go into my PC), and then the Axe Fx has a usb cable into my PC?

2) would I need an ASIO interface like a Focusrite Scarlett, or does the Ax Fx accomplish the same?

4) I am under the impression Windows 10 has a limitation where it only allows one app to use its audio drivers. Is anyone familiar with the work around for this?

Hey Krankle,
For headphones just get a scarlette 2i2 , Usb to windows or Mac. Plug AX8 to L and R inputs , plug
headphones into Scarlette. Now just play your backing track on the PC and you will hear both.

Cool now I can see how the set up would look with the Axe Fx as well as the Ax8. You guys are awesome thank you!

Stratavarious, if set up that way would the Ax8 be fully functional as far as sending pre-sets from my the Ax8 Editor to the Ax8? Or would the Ax8 have to connect some other way directly to the PC to receive pre-sets from the Editor?

...would the Ax8 have to connect some other way directly to the PC to receive pre-sets from the Editor?
The AX8 talks to AX8-Edit via USB, so you need a USB cable from the AX8 to your computer.

Back
Top Bottom