Background Noise In Brand New Axe-Fx II

I understand your feelings. When I first got my Axe I was also disappointed with the noise I got from it. I was expecting it to be much quieter. For me personal a modeller shouldn't model noise (so to speak...) even if it the original amp has that same noise. For me any noise is undesirable but I guess there has to be some noise to emulate high or mid gain amps? I don't like what a noise gate does to my sound and feel but using a high or mid gain amp with no noise gate at all is no option either because it is much too noisy.

Btw I am not talking about electrical noise or hum from the guitar or computer but noise from the amp models itself.

I'm glad to see your comment as it represents my position exactly. It appears from the other comments I've gotten that everyone experiences this problem and makes adjustments using the noise gate. I frankly don't understand why Fractal didn't eliminate the noise in the modeling process as it is so undesirable in the real world of cabinets and amps that you would have thought they could have gotten rid of it. Your comments at least made me feel that I wasn't the only one scratching my head over this problem -- seems to me the problem shouldn't be there in the first place. I guess I don't know what I don't know. Go figure.

OK - The AxeFX is not 'noisy'. It is modelling the multiple gains stages of real amplifiers. The problem for the inexperienced is that the AFX allows you to push that gain to levels that would be causing you physical pain if you were near the real amp. The noise of your pickups, cable, computer monitor, lights, mains power etc would be very, very obvious and annoying, but of course for the good of our health we never hear real amps at that level, or if we do they are in the adrenalin-soaked/noise-masking atmosphere of a gig. It would be a bending of the laws of physics if that noise did not also occur when using the AFX.

Reactions: yek
I'm glad to see your comment as it represents my position exactly. It appears from the other comments I've gotten that everyone experiences this problem and makes adjustments using the noise gate. I frankly don't understand why Fractal didn't eliminate the noise in the modeling process as it is so undesirable in the real world of cabinets and amps that you would have thought they could have gotten rid of it. Your comments at least made me feel that I wasn't the only one scratching my head over this problem -- seems to me the problem shouldn't be there in the first place. I guess I don't know what I don't know. Go figure.

You can't "eliminate noise in the modeling process". Noise is always present due to the random motion of electrons. This is called Johnson noise. Your guitar creates noise as do any resistive elements in the signal path.

The Axe-Fx is the the quietest modeler in the world and quieter than most, if not all, tube amps. The self-noise of the Axe-Fx is lower than the self-noise of a guitar. I never even use the gate it's so quiet.

Now, there is noise and then there is interference. They are two quite different things. Noise is hiss, interference is buzzing and whining and whatever "noise" occurs due to interference from radiation from another source.

I suggest you make a clip of what you are hearing. It is possible your unit is defective but we won't know without some further information.

I gave you a test to perform on the previous page. I highly recommend you follow that procedure and post the results. Until then this is all speculation.

I understand your feelings. When I first got my Axe I was also disappointed with the noise I got from it. I was expecting it to be much quieter. For me personal a modeller shouldn't model noise (so to speak...) even if it the original amp has that same noise. For me any noise is undesirable but I guess there has to be some noise to emulate high or mid gain amps? I don't like what a noise gate does to my sound and feel but using a high or mid gain amp with no noise gate at all is no option either because it is much too noisy.

Btw I am not talking about electrical noise or hum from the guitar or computer but noise from the amp models itself.

With all due respect this just exhibits a lack of understanding of basic physics. You can't simply choose not to "model noise". Your guitar produces noise because it has finite resistance. If you then apply, say, 100 dB of gain you increase that noise by 100 dB. A typical electric guitar has a self-noise of -110 dBu. If you apply 100 dB of gain then that noise is increased to -10 dBu which is quite loud.

The self-noise of the Axe-Fx is less than the self-noise of a typical electric guitar so any noise you are hearing is due to physics and the guitar's self-noise.

It's posts like these that just perpetuate erroneous information and thought should be given to anything before making blanket statements without understanding the science behind things.

With all due respect this just exhibits a lack of understanding of basic physics. You can't simply choose not to "model noise". Your guitar produces noise because it has finite resistance. If you then apply, say, 100 dB of gain you increase that noise by 100 dB. A typical electric guitar has a self-noise of -110 dBu. If you apply 100 dB of gain then that noise is increased to -10 dBu which is quite loud.

The self-noise of the Axe-Fx is less than the self-noise of a typical electric guitar so any noise you are hearing is due to physics and the guitar's self-noise.

It's posts like these that just perpetuate erroneous information and thought should be given to anything before making blanket statements without understanding the science behind things.

All I am saying is that I was disappointed at the noise when I got my Axe fx (same as the topic starter is saying). I was expecting it to be quieter. Somehow it never bothered me that much with other gear or amps I had used up to that point (with same guitar etc.). Or I didn't notice it that much. You are right I don't know anything about physics. Just don't like what a noise gate does to my sound and feel. One of the reasons that I only use low to medium gain amp models. Never was a high gain guy maybe that has something to do with it...

Last edited:
I have an old Line 6 Toneport UX. They have a function on that device where you plug in and turn up your guitar volume all the way, then leave the strings muted. It analyzes the background noise for about 5 seconds and then, voila, the noise is gone. I assume it is applying some kind of tight filter at the frequencies that are active when the guitar is muted or some kind of signal inversion, but as we know assumption is the mother of all f-ups.

All I really know is that it does it all automagically and works really well. I know this is awful wish-listy, but a block that would replicate that function would be the bomb. It's not really a 100% transparent effect but it's really effective at killing hum and buzz if you happen to be stuck in a noisy environment.

Last edited:
Cool Discussion-->based on "Sorry"--> HOT AIR

I just fired up my real JVM410 and that is helly more noisy then the Axe FX especially in OD1 + more so OD2

My most silent guitar's are usually the vintage spec pickup ones and when you get to hot pickups it get noisy.

Hiergfx do what Cliff suggested and on top of that try the shielding of that guitar (plug in-->there is noise-->put you hand on the strings-->if noise get down (you kind of "ground" the guitar then) then youshould look in the shielding of the guitar )

Just my 2 cents

Roland

30 posts and nobody suggested the obvious? :mrgreen

Unplug every cable including the guitar cable from your Axe-FX, except for the power cable. Plug some headphones into the headphone jack on the Axe-FX.
Set the output volume where you would normally listen to the Axe-FX and then listen using your headphones to the output of the Axe-FX.
Quiet? Try some different presets.
Still Quiet?

If so, then the problem is your guitar or cable. If not, then the Axe-FX may have a problem.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bodde

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, but both you guys sound like you're pretty inexperienced with guitar gear in general.
Diving in with the Axe-FX as your first or second experience with guitar amplification systems is like diving into the very deep ocean w/o any swimming skills.
The Axe replicates the entire signal path between a guitar, a pedal board, a guitar amp, a microphone and a mixing console.
It's hard enough for experienced guitar players who aren't also experienced recording engineers to wrap their minds around what is going on inside the Axe.

The stock presets that come with the Axe would seem to be tailor made for folks like you but it's not that simple.
Those presets were written several firmware versions ago and I don't believe they've been thoroughly re-tweaked for the current firmware.
Levels are all over then place.
The presets clip the Axe's output.
Some of the presets involve external controllers (e.g. a wah pedal) that you probably don't have hooked up in your own system and if you do you may have it hooked up differently.
Etc., etc.
Plus, those presets were written by someone else playing a different guitar with different output and tonal characteristics from the guitar you're probably playing.
Etc., etc., etc.
I.e. Forget the stock presets.

Start as simply as you possibly can with just a single Amp Block and shunts.
The Cab Block has it's own set of issues that, if you're a novice, will likely overwhelm you.
Plug your Axe into a good solid state power amp and plug the power amp into your favorite guitar cabinet.
If you have any experience with Fender amps, start with the Doubleverb Amp Type and simply adjust the virtual knobs just like you'd do on a Fender Twin to get a solid clean tone.
If you don't have any experience with a real Fender Twin, get some.
Borrow a friend's. Rent one. Etc.
Then and only then will the Axe's simulation of a Fender Twin make any sense to you.

If this sounds noisy to you then it's not the Axe, it's your guitar.
Your guitar might not be shielded properly.
It might use single coil pickups which are just noisy pickups.
You might need to change the direction you point the guitar neck towards in then room you're sitting in.
There's always a way to orient your guitar that will pick up less noise from lights, monitors, etc.
Your guitar would be even noisier in a real Twin because some of the Axe's circuitry makes it LESS noisy than real amps.

[If you absolutely can't start with a power amp + guitar rig, e.g. you only have headphones or you only have stereo speakers or studio monitors to work with, then add a Cab Block (after the Amp Block) with the 2 X 12 Black Speaker Type selected.
You might want to lower the Hi Cut frequency to something like 5000hz though.
Make sure that Cab Simulation is enabled in the Axe's Global Menus.]

That's a good place to start and then you can get gradually fancier from there.
E.g. Adding a Reverb Block after the Amp Block.
Adding a Drive Block in front of the Amp Block.
A Drive block will increase the noise just like an overdrive pedal in front of a real amp does.
If you don't have any experience with real overdrive pedals, get some.

A guitar computer like the Axe can not model the noise out of your Presets.
It has a very good Noise Gate built into every Preset though.
It works like the best noise gate pedal you could ever buy.
If you don't have any experience with noise gate pedals, get some.

The Axe-FX was not created with beginners in mind.
It's a state-of-the-art device designed for experienced professionals who are tired of the old way of doing things with huge pedal boards and refrigerator-sized racks.
But a beginner who's a glutton for punishment and has a lot of patience and perseverance should still be able to find his or her way with the Axe.
But you're going to have to study it at first just like you studied (presumably) how to play the guitar.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Did you try loading the presets again? I purchased one several months ago and had similar issues...somewhere around firmware 14. It was very much noisier than the axe-fx II I had bought earlier. I noticed that every preset had a compressor ON. This was different than before. Decided to send it back and shortly after tried another. Much quieter and presets were set different, without compressor on for every preset. I changed nothing but the axe-fx (same guitar, cables, location, etc.).

No problem. Guess part of it has to do with the fact that I am no high gain player.

Did you try loading the presets again? I purchased one several months ago and had similar issues...somewhere around firmware 14. It was very much noisier than the axe-fx II I had bought earlier. I noticed that every preset had a compressor ON. This was different than before. Decided to send it back and shortly after tried another. Much quieter and presets were set different, without compressor on for every preset. I changed nothing but the axe-fx (same guitar, cables, location, etc.).

That is very strange!! Different noise ratios in various Axe fx machines seems very odd.

I have an old Line 6 Toneport UX. They have a function on that device where you plug in and turn up your guitar volume all the way, then leave the strings muted. It analyzes the background noise for about 5 seconds and then, voila, the noise is gone. I assume it is applying some kind of tight filter at the frequencies that are active when the guitar is muted or some kind of signal inversion, but as we know assumption is the mother of all f-ups.

All I really know is that it does it all automagically and works really well. I know this is awful wish-listy, but a block that would replicate that function would be the bomb. It's not really a 100% transparent effect but it's really effective at killing hum and buzz if you happen to be stuck in a noisy environment.

Just like Behringer's Feedback Destroyer...
I don't like the way these work.

I have no experience with the Behringer product, but the L6 is pretty useful in (EMI) noisy environments and having it and not using it is better than not having it and needing it. :)

Sounds like You and I had the SAME ISSUE!
i had noise issues with the Axe from day 1 for about 3 years!! i finally figured that if i plug into the REAR input it fixed the issue entirely. I am not saying that this is the solution... but you may have a faulty front board. That is the issue with my unit. i have never gotten it fixed as i am perfectly fine using the rear input. try that out bro. it might solve your problem... good luck!

Back
Top Bottom