Back to a tube power amp / review about real speakers and power amps with the Axe II

So guys, I wanted to share my experiences with the Axe II in combination with several setups: Atomic wedges, through monitors (Event 20/20), using 4CM with a Mesa Lonestar Combo, a stereo setup with 2 Bogner cubes and the Matrix GT1000 and finally a Marshall 9100 50W Dual block power amp and the cubes.

I will make it short and won't go into a deep analysis of all the setups I have tried the Axe with, but I'll share my impressions and experiences. If you want to check my youtube page you can find some videos with direct sound, through the Atomics and the Mesa. I didn't find the time to do any videos lately, so the Matrix and Marshall combinations are not represented there.

The journey has lead me back to the Marshall 9100 (despite the weight). Here's my very personal observations:

Axe II direct through monitors: sounds like a recorded guitar. Can't tell the difference if i listen to a mic'd amp or the Axe II. Stellar. Full stop. But: it does not "feel" and "respond" like an amp in the room. It sounds like sitting in a studio listening to your mic'd amp which is isolated next door. The floor does not vibrate, "air is not moving", plus the tone has the same "character" and EQ impression wherever you stand or turn your head (which is very different with an amp in the room in my opinion, especially in stereo).

Axe II and Atomic wedges: sounded like a great replication of a mic'd amp through a top notch PA and monitor system. Did not sound like a real amp, nor like a recorded amp. Bit more feel on the floor, I would categorize it as something in between. Did not work for me. Not fish or meat.

Axe II and Mesa Combo: WOW! Great sound. Some Axe preamps sounded killer with the Mesa Power amp in the combo. 4CM with the hum busting cables: perfect!
Only problem: the combo is heavy as hell (AND expensive) and I want to play in stereo. So, on with the search.

Axe II and GT1000FX and 2 Bogner 1x12" V30's: PRETTY GREAT. "In the room" feel, tonal characteristics of a real cab, plus the hearing impressions differ on positioning of speakers and listener. But something was missing...

Everytime I played a real amp and cab it had more oomph, more bloom, more three dimensional depth. I read Cliffs notes and played with the LF resonance - got better results after applying the V30 resonance settings but still it sounded a bit flat. Not flat in EQ but in depth.
So I bought again a used Marshall 9100 (which I had used 10 years ago in a Line6 Pod Pro rack) and A/B'd the Matrix with the Marshall. Different preamp models, all kinds Fender, Marshall, Bogners. I A/B'd in mono to be quick with switching. So left was Matrix and one Cube and right the Marshall and the other cube. I turned the power amp modeling ON for the Matrix and OFF for the Marshall, the result was this:

Axe II and Marshall 9100: The Marshall seemed to move the speaker so much more, the notes bloomed, the tone had so much more "weight", dimension and depth I could not believe it. I think it has definitely to do with what Cliff stated: quote "A tube amp, being essentially a current source, will have a voltage output that follows the impedance curve. Speakers, being electromotive devices, respond to applied electromotive force (EMF) which we know as voltage. A solid-state power amp is a voltage amplifier and, hence, will not be influenced by the impedance of the speaker."

The matrix "sounds" more accurate probably and the Marshall 9100 surely "colors" the tone in a way that the model can't be a 100% replica of the original amp, but the way the speakers become alive, the way the low end travels in the room, the way the amp models respond is so much more natural to me. This setup sounds like I have a "real" amp in front of me. So whenever I play or jam I use this now, for recording obviousy direct is still the way to go.

There is no A/B video as the differences can only be experienced in the room and not through a video or recorded sound.

Fact is: I personally prefer the tube power amp MUCH more to a matrix. I don't gig as much anymore, so the weight difference is not that much of a deal breaker for me.
Don't get me wrong, the Matrix is a KILLER great product and if I gigged a lot I would definitely keep it, but for playing at home and occasional gigs, I fell in love with the tubes again...

Cheers

I agree with You for the monitors ... Axe Fx2 + Event 20/20 = freaking amazing !!

I never use it in band situation and a bit confused with al the post in the forum about Frfr against guitar cab against 4cm and so on ...

I feel like using Axe in 4CM is not good IMO ...
Not for modulation but as I do in analog realm ... If I have to put an emulation of a pedal in front of a real preamp ... I prefer to go with the real one
I never tried but pretty skeptic can beat my real setup ... But as I'm like almost majority here not a billionaire ... I can't play at home with my 150watt Triple Recto !!

Honestly I'm curious to try the Axe my 4x12 recto cab ... I have to find a power Amp suiting this needs ... I owned a Marshal EL34 50/50 and played many Years with a 2101... But maybe not hitting the point with this one ... Who knows ?!
Same with OH ir's ... I made my own mix with CabLab of Hires ... Pretty various combination of T1 and T2 ... Small use of SS ... Then Cliff said that he don't like Ir with Tube I coloration ... Maybe I have to change my mind ... Or only my Ears

By the way I played at a big concert in my city ... 2 songs in memory of a Fallen Angel ... I came and plug directly my axe in the Stage DI in mono ... 1 preset ... HBE rolled volume knob and at full for solos ... Honestly was freaking amazing too ...
So now the problem is to find the missing link...
I know that people at venues will have great sound !! Now I have to ear the same too ...

Sorry if I've hijacked this very interesting review Christopher
I was thinking loud !!

Those Marshall poweramps are amazing...I have a 9200. As soon as I can find a buyer willing to pay me what it's worth, it will be gone though (as well as my other tube amps for that matter). I hope this thread doesn't turn into a fight like so many threads seem to...every guitar player hears things and wants tones a little different from everyone else...it would be a VERY boring world otherwise. I hope you continue to be happy with your rig as that's all that really matters.

Excellent info. Thanks.

I am thinking about buying an Axe FX. I am very new to this. I am in a gigging classic metal band, i.e. Maiden, Dio, Ozzy, Metallica etc. and I currently use a 6505+. I think for me the Axe with a tube power amp and a 4x12 is the way to go. So you have tried the big Marshall. Any experience with a Mesa 2:90?

Thanks,

Mike

@kmanick: what was the main difference in your opinion between marshall and fryette? what made you stick to fryette?
My Fryette had KT-77's in it, it's a bit more neutral sounding than the Marshall, plus the Marshall was
not mine it belongs to my friend who now also owns my Fryette :), so even he likes it more than the Marshall.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed reading your post. I think there are so many different scenarios, options, etc. with the AxeFX-II that it gets overwhelming. I know I was overwhelmed when I first got mine. I am starting to understand that there are a lot of options and each has pros and cons.

I have been playing guitar since 1985 and have owned solid state, tube, hybrids, digital, etc., etc. The funny thing about the AxeFX-II is that is causes more heated discussions than any other gear I've ever had but the reason for the heated discussions is that each person has a different favorite way of using the unit. It is like arguing over which Rolling Stones song is best at a Rolling Stones concert. You'll get 100 different answers but everyone is in agreement on the band.

I would love to hear the AxeFX-II thru a tube amp sometime. For me, the Matrix is a flexible and somewhat cheaper alternative to a tube power amp. I use FRFR now but agree that it captures a feel of what something would sound like in a setting instead of an actual guitar setup. Bottom line for me is that everything I've done with the AxeFX-II, I've liked. :)

Back to a tube power amp / review about real speakers and power amps with the...

Cool topic.
I have tried the following setups already:

- AXE FX STANDARD + Rockit RP8 FRFR
- AXE FX STANDARD (Power amp sim on) + Matrix GT 800FX + Orange PPC212 Cabinet
- AXE FX II + Yamaha HS5 FRFR
- AXE FX II 4CM (power amp sim off) + Mark V Head Power Section + Mesa 4x12 Reco Traditional Straight Cabinet
The best for me is using the Mesa Mark V power section with the 4x12. I like this a lot because I have 3 channels to choose from the Mark V, each one with different characteristics and with 3 different modes, which gives me 9 different possibilities. Using a Diezel VH4 in the axe with Mark V channel 3 extreme mode gives me a stupid heavy massive brutal sound!

The Mark V is in my opinion the best amp ever made and the tone that I like the most, but I've been using more the axe FX as my pre amp than the Mark V's ones.

Summing it up, a AXE with a good tube power amp and a nice cabinet sounds just awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up on SS offering a while back.

The best I tried personally was the matrix which sounded great but still wasn't quite there yet.

I used a fryette 2/90/2 until I compared it to a vht 2150 I only bought because it was so cheap.

It outdid the 2/90/2 in girth, so the 2150 stayed and the 2/90/2 went.

I agree the axe is wonderful, so glad to have it. But I far prefer and find it more accurate to real amps when used as a preamp with a tube power amp.

The added bonus is that the fx can now be placed in the traditional place between pre and power amp.

I also thought the feel and tactile response was still a bit different than a real amp, I added a VHT valvulator up front. I run it into the rear input and have real guitar amp feel as the pickup is connected to the grid of the first tube.

@ yek: yes, power amp sim OFF when using the Marshall! And ON with the Matrix... ;-)
@ Moltenmetalburn: Very interesting detail about the FX being placed before the power amp! Never thought of that... This could explain why everything sounds more "glued together" to me through this setup... (in a good way). Would be interesting to hear an opinion about that from the tech experts. Does that change the signal path processing and would it make any sense to separate pre and power amp blocks in the axe fx grid??

Im in the same boat. Finding the perfect power amp isnt that easy. I'm banking on that 1u fryette to come out.

I still am in trial with a Koch 1u "hybrid" its not bad. Also have my carvin dc1540. Previously I used an art sla-2 and before that the ultra 4cm with my Rockerverb.

In my condo I can't be loud so going direct is still my best bet for now and out2 to power amp. Pondering grabbing a fryette if I find a good deal on one. Bottom line is they all work for gigs and I don't think anybody notices the difference :)

AF2 into Q12a works for me! Also AF2 into LD Systems Maui28 (this is some nice killer combination), also AF2 into my nearfileds works great - if I want real tubes, I use a tube combo or head with a traditional cab (such as my "self-designed" upcoming 6W single channel head, coming soon.....)....but honestly, since the AF2 tubes aren't necessary anymore, but sure they look good and I enjoy work with them as long as it pays my food intake.....

never ever tube power amps together with my AxeFx II for me! The AxeFx does it all right (if you know how...)

+1 It's just a matter of knowing how do dial in the right combination of advanced parameters. Once you do that, a good flat PA style power amp (not Matrix) can take you way beyond what you can do with conventional gear IME. I can understand how some folks might have difficulty dialing it in, but no way I would want to run tube power with the Axe - it puts a huge limitation on the overall flexibility in terms of volume, range of tones, and portability.

I too have jumped on the Axe-Fx II/ tube power amp combo(Engl 840/50). For feel and amp in the room sound, this is the way to go IMHO. Yes, you do lose some of the flexibility of the Axe with this setup (power amp and cab sims off), but the amps that are more preamp driven are so punchy and harmonically rich with a sweet top end with this setup. Recording is a different story. I use the full power of the amp sims and cab ir's because it's the same as tracking your tube amp from the control room if not better. Live with a great system for the FOH, it would also work great, but I'm in a band where having a kick ass FOH every gig is not feasible, so when we have to crank the amps because only the vocals, snare and kick are running through the pa, cranking that tube amp into two 4x12 cabs is pure bliss.

Excellent info. Thanks.

I am thinking about buying an Axe FX. I am very new to this. I am in a gigging classic metal band, i.e. Maiden, Dio, Ozzy, Metallica etc. and I currently use a 6505+. I think for me the Axe with a tube power amp and a 4x12 is the way to go. So you have tried the big Marshall. Any experience with a Mesa 2:90?

Thanks,

Mike

Mesa 2:90 is a great power amp that is built like a tank. But....my Matrix GT1600FX was so close to it in sound that I sold the Mesa years ago and just use the Matrix now. It's a lot lighter and no tubes to replace or worry about.

Mesa 2:90 is a great power amp that is built like a tank. But....my Matrix GT1600FX was so close to it in sound that I sold the Mesa years ago and just use the Matrix now. It's a lot lighter and no tubes to replace or worry about.

I'm waiting for my Mesa 2:90 to arrive. I can't wait to plug it into my Axe 2 and then run it through my Mesa 412.

I've been using the power section of my JSX for a while now but I found a Mesa 50/50 for a great price so I'm waiting on that to come in now.
I really like running FRFR and tube amp->guitar cab together, even at low home volume it sounds and feels much better to me
than either one separately.

Back
Top Bottom