Back to a tube power amp / review about real speakers and power amps with the Axe II

I've just tried the FRFR route... bought a pair of EV ZLX12P speakers. They aren't perfect FRFR speakers, but a good start. Excellent in concept and good tone, but couldn't bond with it and ended up taking the EV's back.

I'm now using a Dr Z Maz18 set as clean as it will go and it's OK but only an interim solution.

Trying to think laterally... to get the air moving properly and to get some tube smoothness I'm going to try a pair of Fender Hot Rod combo amps. Or a Fender with a Jensen speaker in it - they have nice clarity.

mark IV arrived tonight
man I forgot how much I loved this head.

Yeah as mentioned on the other thread, i broke out my my Mark IV to check it out with intention to trade it up for something else (Taylor guitar) and like you forgot what I had. Anyway did not need the Mark IV for the trade and though I would just sell it. Well ---- I think I will just keep it. Was screwing around with R3 having a blast and hit the mid switch (I usually keep in on harmonics), pretty much then had to change my shorts.

man I went crazy with the Mark IV yesterday. the Seller has EL-34L's in the Class A slots. At first I was on the fence about whether or not I like them
but using an QEQ bloc (I have an effects only path with GEQ's/Delays/chorus etc.) I was able to dial in a really good "marshall-ish" tone out of R2. I have a drive pedal
that works really well with this type of tone (someone made it for me).
Switch it simul class and I have my Mark IV lead tone (90% the El-34's do change it a bit)
What I found to be really cool however is that the presence and the Graphic EQ controls on the Mark IV are post preamp.
That means I can use them with my patches to help dial in much more of a realistic tone.
I am very pleased, I assumed all of my patches would sound very "Mesa", but not at all, they just sound really good.
I had someone come by on Saturday who had never played through an Axe Fx before and I gave him a full demo, first through the Rokits 8's, then through the CLR/Seismic
and through the Mark IV and finally with the FRFR and Mark IV together W/D/W.
He was completely blown away at how good it sounded (so was I as I had just received the Mark IV Friday night)
Is the Power section of the Mark IV similar to the Mesa 2:90?

Is the Power section of the Mark IV similar to the Mesa 2:90?

I believe it has the Simulclass OT but not the half-power or tweed switch. Bummer, because if it did I would consider one.

I wonder if Mesa would put those in as custom work? Hmmmmmmmmmm.......?

Back
Top Bottom