Back Panel Pedal Switches for tuner and tap tempo

rlejr

I am using a Rocktron Midi Mate with my Axe FX. I normally use buttons 0-4 for presets and 5-9 for IAs. I want to use all 10 buttons for presets and an external 2 button switch for IAs. One to turn the tuner on/off an a second to set tap tempo. Can anyone confirm that this can be done? If so, momentary or latching switches.

Found a latching switch, tested and answered my own questions. Yes it can be done. Latching works for both functions. Assuming momentary will work also.

rlejr said:
...Yes it can be done. Latching works for both functions. Assuming momentary will work also.

If I don´t recall wrong it should be momentary only, when using latching it could give some erratic response. Not so much that you might care with the tuner, but with your tap tempo it would matter I guess. When using latching switches it might be hard to get a tempo precise since you´ll have to get by the OFF tap inbetween your ON taps, when tapping your tempo.

Not that I´m saying that you are doing wrong, if you are confident with those latching pedals please use them. The switch function recommended, for most rack processors that have tap tempo based effects, are often momentary though...

/Mike

Thanks Mike. I was planning to use momentary. I'm building a simple switch pedal myself. I just led with the latching statement in my reply because that is what I tested. Momentary should work much better for both functions anyway.

Latching & momentary function identically with the Axe-FX Pedal jacks if the correct type is set in the I/O menu.

There used to be a problem with momentary-style CC switches (actual CCs via MIDI, not switches for pedal 1/2) for tap tempo because the "off" was always counted as a tap too, then a firmware update changed that. I think it just ignores an "off" within a certain time window of an "on" so you still need to release the tap fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom