Back and front inputs

JustinAiken

Inspired
How can you use them at the same time?

I was thinking it would be nice for interfacing with the DAW to just have the guitar plugged to the front, and an output from my recording interface to the ones from the back... That way I could switch between monitoring my guitar playing or changing the sound of a recorded DI track just by switching the input in the menu from front to rear...

But if I plug something in the back, even if I'm switched to front input, my signal drops to about 20 percent and gets noisy... In the manual it says the back input defeats the front input, but I was hoping that was a design error that fixed in later firmwares...

How are you guys switching between jamming with your guitar, and using the AXE-FX as outboard? I don't want to have to crawl behind the rack and plug/unplug cables everytime I want to switch!

Are you using Input 2 for anything? You could connect there and place the FXL block get outboard function.

If this is just for guitar reamping with no need for stereo input, you could instead use Input 1 R along with the front input. Select stereo for input mode and set amp block input select to L or R to switch between signals.

Bakerman said:
Are you using Input 2 for anything? You could connect there and place the FXL block get outboard function.

If this is just for guitar reamping with no need for stereo input, you could instead use Input 1 R along with the front input. Select stereo for input mode and set amp block input select to L or R to switch between signals.

I am using the FX loop for a looper, so can't use that...

I don't need stereo input, so that should work, I'll try that.. thanks!

Bakerman said:

Timely. If I understand well, I could have my guitar plugged in the front input for regular use, have a stereo output going out from my Firestudio into input 2 (L and R) of the Ultra if I want to use the Axe-Fx as an outboard FX processor and use the stereo output 2 from the Axe-Fx to go back into my DAW?

So basically, I could create a patch of just a plate reverb for example, use the loop block and I'd be set to go with the DAW right?

Deltones said:
Bakerman said:

Timely. If I understand well, I could have my guitar plugged in the front input for regular use, have a stereo output going out from my Firestudio into input 2 (L and R) of the Ultra if I want to use the Axe-Fx as an outboard FX processor and use the stereo output 2 from the Axe-Fx to go back into my DAW?

So basically, I could create a patch of just a plate reverb for example, use the loop block and I'd be set to go with the DAW right?

You actually have to use a feedback send and return for that

return-fx loop-send

javajunkie said:
Deltones said:
Bakerman said:

return-fx loop-send

Ok, will look into this. Currently trying to find a way to use the Ultra as a processor in the current mix I'm working on.

Thanks JJ

Out 2 can be done with send/return like javajunkie mentioned but if you already have an out 1 pair connected to the DAW you can use those instead. Connect the FXL + effect chain to the right edge of the grid.

Bakerman said:
Out 2 can be done with send/return like javajunkie mentioned but if you already have an out 1 pair connected to the DAW you can use those instead. Connect the FXL + effect chain to the right edge of the grid.

Yep that will work to and give you balanced outs.

javajunkie said:
Bakerman said:

Yep that will work to and give you balanced outs.

Hmm... Yeah, I already have the main outs from the Ultra going into the Firestudio. I just tried that, hardware output from my Firestudio into Input 1 (R) on the Ultra and setting IO to "Analog Rear". All I get is "Sshhhhhhhh". To make sure, I plugged my guitar into Input 1 (L), which works, then Input 1 (R) and also got "Shhhhhhhh" as a result. Any pointers?

Edit: Ok, figured it out. My input 1 select option was at "Left Only". Put it at "L+R"

javajunkie said:
Deltones said:
Bakerman said:

return-fx loop-send

Well JJ, I tried but looks like I have no freaking clue how to do it. If you still have Lars editor, could you post a screenshot of a simple patch only using 1 reverb block and your return-fx loop-send? Connection-wise on the Ultra, I'm connected into Input 2 and going out via output 2.

Thanks

My example was if you still used Input 2. If you place [FX Loop] - [Reverb] - (shunts to end if any space left here) you'll be sending whatever hits Input 2 through the reverb and getting the result at Output 1.

To use Input 2 & Output 2 you have to place [Feedback Return] - [FX Loop] - [Reverb] - [Feedback Send]. Or the reverb can go between the return & fxl block, same result. No need to connect anything to the start or end of that chain; set return block mix to 100% (default is 0 which will give no sound).

Bakerman said:
My example was if you still used Input 2. If you place [FX Loop] - [Reverb] - (shunts to end if any space left here) you'll be sending whatever hits Input 2 through the reverb and getting the result at Output 1.

To use Input 2 & Output 2 you have to place [Feedback Return] - [FX Loop] - [Reverb] - [Feedback Send]. Or the reverb can go between the return & fxl block, same result. No need to connect anything to the start or end of that chain; set return block mix to 100% (default is 0 which will give no sound).

Great, I'll try this out. I use the loop block all the time on my regular guitar patches to send pre-cab block chain to my Carvin amp+cab via output 2 when my guitar is connected to the front input. I'll try all your scenarios above.

Thanks man.

Back
Top Bottom