axefxology

yeah, lush aren't they!

use all four synths in both blocks. use the saw wave and also the triangle wave with a low duty. try to give each one a slightly different vibrato rate, by using all four lfo's and maybe also envelope. use the filters on the synths to control the brightness and pitch one of them down an octave for bass notes. add some crystals too, if you like, for lushness and higher octaves. try adding chorus for depth and a multidelay for release. see how you get on and i'll try and be more specific if you'd like more tips.

sim

Hi Simeon, I enjoyed a few of your sounds today. Oups...you must be familiar with that. Will give it a try tomorrow.
I just wondered what is the trick for the fat "splatt" sound, some mix between distopedal & synth ? What is the disto pedal ? Thnx for your help.
Ciaou

No, the splatt sound is just the high gain Fryette on full tilt. You can use the Muff drive in front if you want to get really OT!

before you ask...no, you can't have the patches, but i'm happy to explain how they were done..

That one really begs the question.

For the tone I have just emulated from a particular favorite album of mine, if I would tell someone they cannot have the patch, (or buy it for a large sum), and if I would at the same time go as far as even add the claim that "but I would be happy to explain how its done" as you have added, then I would purposefully tell incorrect (or altered) information on making the preset so that they could not exactly match my preset. This is because common sense says a person would.

But in reality, I would not make that additional helping hand claim after the refusal to share claim for obvious reasons. Therefore your two propositions are not compatible with each other.

If one wanted the person to be able to have the exact sound as in a created preset - then one would just hand the person the patch - it makes life much easier for both parties instead of explaining it and the receiver can see the routing, structure, and parameter settings for himself. Therefore your statement is a far fetched statement for me to accept, and is a position which is not un-notable.

But not everyone is a sound designer. Some people just want presets. But if you fail to share them - sure this is your free choice. But please save me the additional question-begging.

Last edited:
Fantastic work Simeon!! I always loved these kind of textures...can you please be kind enough to explain more in detail the Synth Bass?? It's really meaty!!!

it's the synth block with both synths set to sawtooth. one is shifted down an octave and both synths have their filters tied to envelope. all other settings are default.
that feeds the usa lead 1 amp, with the "mesa" eq after, into a 4x12 recto 2 and 4x12 30w, but the amp and cabs don't really matter that much, they're just there to add the meat to it. (i just happen to use this sound with the synth block bypassed for my MKIV rhythm tone)
you can add some modulation after the cab to widen it up, a bit of chorus, or flanger, or whatnot. and maybe some delay set to slapback.
put the reverb inline at the end of the chain, on 100% wet and a reverb time of 20 seconds

hope that helps

sim

ps - see if you can spot the deliberate false information i have included, so that you are unable to recreate the sound exactly.

BLÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

tumblr_l6ghn35qQC1qbylvso1_500.png

Enjoy your sonic maze.

EDIT: Perhaps, as a slightly more intelligent response to your attempt at rationalizing someone else's choice with your own logic, I could tell you that not everything in life is given to you. Teachers do not give you the test answers on a neat sheet of paper when you walk into class the first day; neither, then does Sim give away the patches that he has worked hard to create. What he is kind enough to do, however, is to give the rest of us a challenge and a guide to understanding their construction, so that we might be able to go on and create our own original patches. Life is not about the end, but the journey to get there. Who are you to question his methods, troll? Make your own patches, then give them away, or hog them away and tell us all about it. Chase your own tail as much as you wish; none of us will join you.

I am not one to feed trolls, generally, but you've touched a nerve here (fatal mistake, I suppose). Sim is one of the most valuable members on this forum, and you are here trying to call him some kind of dishonest bastard for not giving us everything he's ever done freely. You should consider your words a bit more carefully. This isn't the first time you've let your own insufferable knowledge and perfect perspective of all that is known within the universe make you an ass, and, after you reply to this, it certainly won't be the last.

Last edited:
ps - see if you can spot the deliberate false information i have included, so that you are unable to recreate the sound exactly.

What is your price for your patches? As some individuals don't have the time to focus on the field of "sound design" at the moment.

ToneFreak - i was going to respond via pm, but decided not to

see below for my responses to your earlier post

"then I would purposefully tell incorrect (or altered) information on making the preset so that they could not exactly match my preset. This is because common sense says a person would."

your common sense, maybe. i'm not like you

"But in reality, I would not make that additional helping hand claim after the refusal to share claim for obvious reasons."

well that would be your choice. it's not my choice.

"If one wanted the person to be able to have the exact sound as in a created preset - then one would just hand the person the patch"

you're assuming i want other people to have the exact same sound as me

"it makes life much easier for both parties instead of explaining it and the receiver can see the routing, structure, and parameter settings for himself."

indeed it does, but then the receiver doesn't learn as much as attempting to create the patch for himself. even if the receiver doesn't manage it, they will still have learned from the experience of trying. i'm happy to help by giving guidelines and advice on how to do this. using specific examples and references (like the soundclips) is a good way to focus in on specific types of fx.

"Therefore your statement is a far fetched statement for me to accept, and is a position which is not un-notable."

i don't know what an "un-notable position" is, but as for far-fetched...if you think so, then that's your opinion

"But not everyone is a sound designer."

this is true, but you don't need to be a "sound designer" to create great sounds on the axe fx. just time, creativity and a bit of experience.

"Some people just want presets."

indeed they do, but what this really means is, "some people just want stuff for free without having to put in any effort". i don't have much respect for these people, i'm afraid.

"But if you fail to share them - sure this is your free choice."

yes it is. and i would hope that people would understand the reasons i have for making that choice and respect them.

"But please save me the additional question-begging."

i'm not forcing you to beg. if you don't want to ask, then don't ask.

i choose not to share my patches, because
1) they are personal to me and part of my "art". i don't want loads of other people sounding like me. i know that might seem pretentious to you, but it's a fact.
2) i've spent 25 years learning how to program fx and i think that counts for something. why should someone else come along and just freeload off my experience? it would be like knocking on eric clapton's door and demanding free lessons.
3) i could have not posted anything on the forum at all and frankly saved myself quite a bit of grief. but i believe in the product and i believed that the fx side of the axefx was under-represented, so i thought it might be worth trying to rectify that. the clips on the fractal website have reached 10,000 plays on some of them and if cliff has managed to sell a few extra units because of them, then i'm very happy for him and i'm glad i spent a few hours recording the examples

if you have a problem with this, then tough. please don't accuse me of being dishonest, or underhanded on a public forum, just because you don't seem to understand my motivations and you can't be bothered (or are unable) to put in some time and effort of you're own.

sim

ps - my patches aren't for sale.

Last edited:
i choose not to share my patches, because
1) they are personal to me and part of my "art". i don't want loads of other people sounding like me. i know that might seem pretentious to you, but it's a fact.
2) i've spent 25 years learning how to program fx and i think that counts for something. why should someone else come along and just freeload off my experience? it would be like knocking on eric clapton's door and demanding free lessons.
3) i could have not posted anything on the forum at all and frankly saved myself quite a bit of grief. but i believe in the product and i believed that the fx side of the axefx was under-represented, so i thought it might be worth trying to rectify that. the clips on the fractal website have reached 10,000 plays on some of them and if cliff has managed to sell a few extra units because of them, then i'm very happy for him and i'm glad i spent a few hours recording the examples

Well said, not only fair but in the end you're performing a greater service to everyone by giving them an example of something to pursue. The old "Give a man a fish, he can eat for a day..." axiom put to good use here.

Simeon, don't bother. TF is a big time troll. Threatens people per PM. He's got issues. Just add him to your ignore list.

Thanks, I will try as soon as I can (without that Reverb of course! :D)
Really appreciate Simeon!

you're very welcome.

it's worth spending a bit of time fooling with the curve and damp parameters where you have envelope attached to the filters in the synth blocks. that's where the mojo is in this patch. work on one synth only and then when you have it sounding nice, replicate those settings in the other.

sim

EDIT: Perhaps, as a slightly more intelligent response to your attempt at rationalizing someone else's choice with your own logic, I could tell you that not everything in life is given to you. Teachers do not give you the test answers on a neat sheet of paper when you walk into class the first day; neither, then does Sim give away the patches that he has worked hard to create.

Apparently you did not understand my words. I am not looking for the answers in the realm of music. I find the answerrs myself on the fretboard and keyboard. So your claim is irrelevant. And you also apparently did not read when I asked for a price for the sound design. LOL. Wow.

What he is kind enough to do, however, is to give the rest of us a challenge and a guide to understanding their construction, so that we might be able to go on and create our own original patches. Life is not about the end, but the journey to get there. Who are you to question his methods, troll?

You are being reported for unwarranted name calling. Do you know what a troll even is? Some in this forum don't seem to. A troll is one who hijacks a thread. But did I do that? NO! I challenged the poster's assertions based on common sense. And by the way, my job is not sound design. So I just said if he doesn't want to post his patches, then I have no reason to believe he wants anyone to have the sounds as he has just admitted in the last post for you.

Make your own patches, then give them away, or hog them away and tell us all about it. Chase your own tail as much as you wish; none of us will join you.

I am not a sound designer, but since you mention that, I have been able to design a clone of a hybrid of favorite fear factory tones in here and will sell it for a few grand. Because its a tone people are waiting for. HA. So there.

I am not one to feed trolls, generally, but you've touched a nerve here (fatal mistake, I suppose).

Then please stop feeding yourself, because you are spoiling this thread.

Sim is one of the most valuable members on this forum, and you are here trying to call him some kind of dishonest bastard for not giving us everything he's ever done freely.

Do not distort me. All I did was point out a fallacy. And now you even insert words into my mouth. Thats what I call dishones Because I asked for a price, but to spare me aany explanation of trying to convince me that simeon really wants us to have his sounds - as he has just admitted he does not even want anyone having the sounds hears in those presets . Again, I never told him he is dishonest, I have shown how common sense says I have no reason to accept his claims in reference to his work here. And I even asked for a price - I was willing to pay for some of them once i knew early in this thread he was not going to post them. So do not misrepresent with that unsportsmanlike conduct.

You should consider your words a bit more carefully.

Oh really? Are these next words of yours cartefully considered? I dont think so - completely against forum rules - observe:
This isn't the first time you've let your own insufferable knowledge and perfect perspective of all that is known within the universe make you an ass, and, after you reply to this, it certainly won't be the last.

please end your miserable unsportsmanlike responses. Wow... are the admins banning this person for calling me an ass? (oh wait, lemme guess - no but I am going to get a warning). LOL. What is this the circus?

Jeez, to you i have one last reply - I was not even rude to simneon, I offered a polite challenge based on reason. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Last edited:
Simeon, don't bother. TF is a big time troll. Threatens people per PM. He's got issues. Just add him to your ignore list.

Ive got issues? Like when you rottenly inserted your distasteful variac reference into my sonic signature thread? Sorry but that move is what I call the truest of miseries.

Actually you are the troll - magnified. Stop calling people that. Stop agitating for no reason. And stop being arrogant and bigoted. Is fractal even paying attention to this attitude on behalf of this member too? unbelievable. You have not shown a shred of evidence to indicate I am trolling, as I presented a valid challenge to a fallacy i spotted here - nor have you shown any evidence to prove I ever threatened ANYONE in a PM. I only offered self-defense in PMs - there is a difference. Stop mis-accusing people with your foul play here. I have PM-ed people to try to challenge me to my face, not behind the security of their monitor with underhanded tactics. That's still not technically threatening and can never be proved as such. Its seeing if they really have character or not - Its PM-ing because threads are being closed unfairly before being resolved. THATS why I Pm-ed. PLEASE stop your foul play.

For your agitation, I must say you are the one with issues, not me. Sensitive to anyone with an honest opinion? Oh, Ok i get it.

I demand you to stop calling people trolls simply because they are honest in their responses. If you do this then what do you think it makes you? An angel?

THis is disgusting.

Last edited:
This coming from the individual who was essentially trying to prove that the Eventide H8000 would be a better purchase for effects than the Axe-FX.

LOL. Simeon says: "i believed that the fx side of the axefx was under-represented, so i thought it might be worth trying to rectify that"

Eventide IS better for FX. How is that Invalid? Its got tons more varieties of FX too! The axe is better for Guitar amps and cabs. That's what it was mainly designed for. The eventide is better for FX. Thats what IT was designed for! Thats common knowledge, not just on gearslutz, but anywhere. Eventide H800 and H7600 is industry standard FX. So you have failed to show my post as invalid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom