AxeFXII Reamp VIDEO Judas Priest!!! Mark Day

I live very close to Tone Merchants and regret taking a day off in the off-chance to meet you and hear an Axe in person.
Oops THAT didnt come out right...Correction should have read...I live very close to Tone Merchants and regret NOT taking a day off in the off-chance to meet you and hear an Axe in person while you were visiting. My wife thinks I'm crazy about guitars but SHE was also the one (like another poster on this forum) who said "what would you really like to get for your birthday"...my birthday was 06/13 just in time to buy one...hehehe THEN ALL MANNER OF HELL BREAKS LOOSE...AAAAAHHHHHHH
note to self...second best birthday gift AxeII, midlife crisis been gooood to me :mrgreen

hey mark, in your YouTube notes you mentioned using a delay in logic to offset some parts. can you elaborate on the delay and settings? I'm thinking of creating that delay on the second out of the axe for a bigger sound. what do ya think? btw fantastic playing and feel. you nail it ever time!!

Mark, Im using your patch which is sickly good, but seems super heavy on reverb and some on delay in my setup (through powered pa's) do you find to record you have to use much more level on effects, but live, one would turn these down a great deal? thanks. awesome as Ive stated already, you da man. also (how do you usually compensate for flecher munson sp? effect)

Mark, Im using your patch which is sickly good, but seems super heavy on reverb and some on delay in my setup (through powered pa's) do you find to record you have to use much more level on effects, but live, one would turn these down a great deal? thanks. awesome as Ive stated already, you da man. also (how do you usually compensate for flecher munson sp? effect)

When I had my Ultra I would use the Global eq's to compensate for the FM. Now with the EQ in the Amp block that's probably where I'll head. I find the excess reverb and delay gets eaten up in the mix pretty quickly. If you are using my second preset (the 371 I uploaded) that is the main one I used for this recording. By itself it seems excessive but in the mix..not too bad.

Best thing to use is your ears. If it sounds like too much then back it off a bit, not enough then bring it back up. There is also a Global reverb and FX mix level control in your globals that you can use to tweak different gig environments :)

Mark

When I had my Ultra I would use the Global eq's to compensate for the FM. Now with the EQ in the Amp block that's probably where I'll head. I find the excess reverb and delay gets eaten up in the mix pretty quickly. If you are using my second preset (the 371 I uploaded) that is the main one I used for this recording. By itself it seems excessive but in the mix..not too bad.

Best thing to use is your ears. If it sounds like too much then back it off a bit, not enough then bring it back up. There is also a Global reverb and FX mix level control in your globals that you can use to tweak different gig environments :)

Mark

thanks my friend, indeed Im playing it not in a mix. good ideas! Keep up the uploads, they give me wonderful ideas , both in and of themselves and as stepping stones; cant wait for a dream theater patch from you! :)

1. Get backing track from the internet Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com This one has only the vocal, drums, bass except for the rhythm guitar during the Hellion and the rhythm during the main solo. Someone must have ripped this from Rockband or Guitar Hero.

2. I import this track into a new Logic project. I create 4 new tracks in Logic for the AxeFx. 1 is guitar left, 2 guitar right, 3 dry Left from the AxeFx input jack, 4 dry Right from the AxeFx input jack. Tracks 3 and 4 will be used for re-amping later. These tracks are all coming from the AxeFXII's USB interface. Tracks 3 and 4 are just the direct signal from your guitar that gets recorded totally dry...if you play those tracks(3+4)back they sound AWFUL..lol.

3. Now I choose a preset on the AxeII and record my performance. I will mute track 3+4 while I record so I don't hear the dry sound.

4. Now I have my AxeII's sound on track 1 and 2. I now mute all the tracks and choose the output for track 3+4 to be the input of the AxeII. I go to the I/O menu on the AxeII and choose the main input as USB instead of front in. I create two new tracks in Logic and assign the inputs to the AxeII USB ch 1+2 on those tracks.

5. Now I playback the performance in Logic and record it on the two new tracks. I am sending the dry guitar input signal tracks (3+4) back into the Axe's USB input and choosing a preset to be recorded on the two new tracks I just created.

6. Now I can continue to use the dry tracks to add new AxeFx tracks as many layers as I want. For this video I only did it once so a total of 4 tracks of guitar (plus the Hellion rhythm and harmony overdub I did). I use a sample delay to offset the re-amped tracks to avoid phase issues...this was my first attempt and I still hear some phase issues, so I need to get better at that :)

7. Now I mix all the guitar tracks and backing track. I only played the song once but now I have 4 guitar tracks thanks to the Axe's re-amping and USB interface.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Mark

The video was awesome enough by itself; but this explanation is so clear and straight-forward it should be Wiki-ed. Thanks, Mark!

The video was awesome enough by itself; but this explanation is so clear and straight-forward it should be Wiki-ed. Thanks, Mark!

Mark
Top notch guitar playing and great tone.
I presume you are still using the ART SLA2 with the AXE FX II in your current setup? Do you have plans to change the amp? I am trying to determine what solid state amp to buy for Ultra with the hopes of buying AXE FX II later.

1. Get backing track from the internet Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com This one has only the vocal, drums, bass except for the rhythm guitar during the Hellion and the rhythm during the main solo. Someone must have ripped this from Rockband or Guitar Hero.

2. I import this track into a new Logic project. I create 4 new tracks in Logic for the AxeFx. 1 is guitar left, 2 guitar right, 3 dry Left from the AxeFx input jack, 4 dry Right from the AxeFx input jack. Tracks 3 and 4 will be used for re-amping later. These tracks are all coming from the AxeFXII's USB interface. Tracks 3 and 4 are just the direct signal from your guitar that gets recorded totally dry...if you play those tracks(3+4)back they sound AWFUL..lol.

3. Now I choose a preset on the AxeII and record my performance. I will mute track 3+4 while I record so I don't hear the dry sound.

4. Now I have my AxeII's sound on track 1 and 2. I now mute all the tracks and choose the output for track 3+4 to be the input of the AxeII. I go to the I/O menu on the AxeII and choose the main input as USB instead of front in. I create two new tracks in Logic and assign the inputs to the AxeII USB ch 1+2 on those tracks.

5. Now I playback the performance in Logic and record it on the two new tracks. I am sending the dry guitar input signal tracks (3+4) back into the Axe's USB input and choosing a preset to be recorded on the two new tracks I just created.

6. Now I can continue to use the dry tracks to add new AxeFx tracks as many layers as I want. For this video I only did it once so a total of 4 tracks of guitar (plus the Hellion rhythm and harmony overdub I did). I use a sample delay to offset the re-amped tracks to avoid phase issues...this was my first attempt and I still hear some phase issues, so I need to get better at that :)

7. Now I mix all the guitar tracks and backing track. I only played the song once but now I have 4 guitar tracks thanks to the Axe's re-amping and USB interface.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Mark

If the backing tracks are 44.1k and the Axe via USB is 48K what do you set the Sample rate in Logic to?

that sounds awesome!
and I hate you , I just got my II and I can't even get the freaking thing to work with my computer thru USB

Back
Top Bottom