AxeFX3 and tube amp purchases

I've only played through a few of the amps in the III IRL. The III has turned me onto lots of amps that I would love to have.

It's also let me play some legendary amps that despite them having lots of fans, I found I would have no use for whatsoever.

I sold my BE-50 because quite frankly, the Friedman models in the Axe III are the best out there. It was so close that keeping the amp was redundant for me. Same was with the JP-2C that I had. Same can be said for the JVM410HJS. Love that amp!
Similar to you, I sold a BE50 Deluxe and a JVM410H a little after getting the AxeFX3. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the JVM was represented in the Axe, even down to some of the things that I didn’t like in the actual amp’s OD2/red channels. I couldn’t justify the space and the fact that I would likely never plug into them. But to the OP, if you collect, have the space, the funds, and the volume forgiveness, go for it.

Kind of. I know the CCV has a good bit of “Jose mod” dna, which lead me down this rabbit hole of research regarding Jose mods, ultimately having send this half butchered
JCM800 (found it for $650) to Dan Gower for a full rebuild…
Man this amp is sooooooo good.
DbMNPAL.jpg

Do you prefer owning a the record in a folder of your computer or seeing the vinyl turning ?
do you prefer watching a Harley on tv or riding one ?
if you are happy owning the real deal do it !
I remember a few guys here buying Friedman heads . And then you don’t need people approval for this .
for me these are 2 different things. The axe is convenient for the size, the constancy while recording, the noise free thing, switching 2 sounds quickly with many effects on/off without dancing with your feet on pedals on stage but the real deal with all these little imperfections got a special flavor. That’s why I own both system . A old school one with head cab and pedal + axe in the loop, and the other : axe only to record or play at low volume . I still don’t want to use the axe with a real cab don’t ask me why . 😅
When I play a amp in the axe, I don’t have the feel to own the real one . The axe is a collection of different sounds, a tool, a creative machine …

Last edited:
It's also let me play some legendary amps that despite them having lots of fans, I found I would have no use for whatsoever.
Yea, and I’ll add on to what I said earlier- the axe fx has saved me from spending a small fortune on stuff I would have wanted to try, but probably wouldn’t have ended up keeping, just for financial and practical reasons. No doubt that having it all right there at my fingertips has saved me from a lot of gear hype wormholes, and helped me concentrate on playing.

If anything, it's convinced me that I don't need anything else. I borrowed a friends Bogner Ecstasy 101b and I gotta be honest...the sound and feel is there...even more so with Cygnus.

Back
Top Bottom