AxeFX still dead after 4 months

xfigox

Inspired
So the backstory is that my AxeFX II (original mark i) was sent in to my local distributor for servicing upon advice from Fractal Support, and this was 4 months ago.

I was having issues with the AxeFX having problems booting up, boots up to a blank screen and all the LEDs were frozen. Many of you guys would have guessed the same thing, could be a corrupt ROM and requires the emergency EPROM to reinstall the firmware. I have my doubts about the corrupted rom as this blank-screen-boot-up-of-death thing did not occur after a failed software update or anything, it just occurs randomly from time to time and fixes itself after power cycling the unit. Of course only when power cycling repeated did not solve the issue, did I contact support and send the unit to my distributor upon advice from Support.

However, its been more than 4 months since the day I've sent in the unit, and about a week ago did the emergency EPROM arrived here in Singapore to my local distributor. So they updated me that they went and did everything as per the instructions for the EPROM but the update process will hang when it reaches the end.

So it seems like its back to another whole round of long exchange of emails between my local distributor and Fractal Support.

It just seems to me that the whole process could really be much faster somehow, and I'm really dying to return to using the AxeFX for my upcoming recording sessions. While I understand that it would be a more of a standard procedure for Fractal to liaise with the local distributor, however the process can be so excruciatingly slow.

Really the only thing that's stopping me from getting another AxeFX II is that I'm already setting a side a sum of money for the AX8 when it reaches here in Singapore. Worst case scenario, I'll have to get a another AxeFX II to replace my current one? :(

/rant

4 months... Wow.

I have to say I would have been screaming from the rooftops a lot sooner than this.

Assuming this is true, you are being stiffed here. In Europe, G66 has eproms in stock and sends them by mail if you request them, pretty sure Fractal does the same in the US. It's dead simple to install.

Is this the official distributor for Fractal and did you buy your unit from them? If so, that does not reflect well on Fractal Audio if they can't provide the service to professional standards. These are professional units that are quite often being used by professionals. They earn their livelihoods using these units. And the service being provided in the US and EU are to that standard.

If you did not buy the unit from them, G66 does not accept warranty claims for that situation either. They might fix it, but not under warranty. And they would still be much faster.

If they have units in stock they could swap parts. Nothing in there that requires rocket science to replace.

4 months... Wow.

I have to say I would have been screaming from the rooftops a lot sooner than this.

Assuming this is true, you are being stiffed here. In Europe, G66 has eproms in stock and sends them by mail if you request them, pretty sure Fractal does the same in the US. It's dead simple to install.

Is this the official distributor for Fractal and did you buy your unit from them? If so, that does not reflect well on Fractal Audio if they can't provide the service to professional standards. These are professional units that are quite often being used by professionals. They earn their livelihoods using these units. And the service being provided in the US and EU are to that standard.

If you did not buy the unit from them, G66 does not accept warranty claims for that situation either. They might fix it, but not under warranty.

I actually bought this 4 years back directly from Fractal and shipped here to SG when the Axe II was just released, way before there was any distributor for Fractal products here in SG.

So this would technically be an out-of-warranty repair and to be honest, I'll be willing to pay quite a fair bit if it means that I can get the unit repaired but that's only if there's actually a competent service support here in my country.

Well to be fair to the distributor here, I really doubt that they receive many (if not any) AxeFX for repairs and thus aren't stocked on spares or anything (the market for fractal products here aren't that huge compared to Europe or the US, we're just a pretty small country).

IIRC, this "freeze" behavior occurred with some of the first batch of original Axe-Fx IIs.
Mine did the same occasionally.
I never saw reason to have this fixed, because it's just the power up routine.

Note that using a power conditioner or a power strip with a startup timer, increases the risk of a startup failure.

IIRC, this "freeze" behavior occurred with some of the first batch of original Axe-Fx IIs.

Note that using a power conditioner or a power strip with a startup timer, increases the risk of a startup failure.

I do not have a power conditioner but I do run my AxeFX into a surge protector power strip. I've never heard of a power strip with a startup timer, not sure what it does but I might take a look at that (to avoid) for future applications.

My AxeII actually has a couple of problems, from really intermittent, unreadable dim screens (re-seating ribbon cable doesn't help) and also the freezing issue. I've already avoided sending the unit for repair as much as possible only until the freezing did not go away upon countless power cycles that I know its time for the unit to be sent in. Haha.

Last edited:
My first Axe Fx was a Mk I and it had quite similar symptoms with dimmed screen and other strange things happening. I first thought it was the display or the ribbon cable but finally I had to send the whole unit to G66. I had purchased the unit second hand from the US but despite of this G66 was able to assist in a very professional and quick manner. Their service level is on par with Fractal ... i.e. by far best in the industry!

The "fix" to my unit was to replace the main board .... not the cheapest repair but I really don't complain as I got a very good discount on the new main board that was sent from Fractal to G66 and installed in my unit. The whole operation took less than three weeks including shipping from Norway to Germany and back.

I have sold it since then and are now a VERY happy owner of an XL.

My first Axe Fx was a Mk I and it had quite similar symptoms with dimmed screen and other strange things happening. I first thought it was the display or the ribbon cable but finally I had to send the whole unit to G66. I had purchased the unit second hand from the US but despite of this G66 was able to assist in a very professional and quick manner. Their service level is on par with Fractal ... i.e. by far best in the industry!

The "fix" to my unit was to replace the main board .... not the cheapest repair but I really don't complain as I got a very good discount on the new main board that was sent from Fractal to G66 and installed in my unit. The whole operation took less than three weeks including shipping from Norway to Germany and back.

I have sold it since then and are now a VERY happy owner of an XL.

wow the whole mainboard? that's almost as good as replacing the entire unit! But if that's the case then at least there's some hope for my AxeFx II!

I do not have a power conditioner but I do run my AxeFX into a surge protector power strip. I've never heard of a power strip with a startup timer, not sure what it does but I might take a look at that (to avoid) for future applications.

My AxeII actually has a couple of problems, from really intermittent, unreadable dim screens (re-seating ribbon cable doesn't help) and also the freezing issue. I've already avoided sending the unit for repair as much as possible only until the freezing did not go away upon countless power cycles that I know its time for the unit to be sent in. Haha.
There are some power conditions (Monster has a few) where there is a sequence to how each plug powers up. For example, turning on you power amp last so that you don't get a huge thud from other units that are connected to audio powering up.

There are some power conditions (Monster has a few) where there is a sequence to how each plug powers up. For example, turning on you power amp last so that you don't get a huge thud from other units that are connected to audio powering up.

Never knew that this could cause issues, good to know, thanks for the info!

I had one of the very early Axe-Fx IIs and it intermittently hung or froze on turn on. The factory replaced the oscillator and it fixed the issue.May not be related to the OPs problem as his sounds constant.

I had one of the very early Axe-Fx IIs and it intermittently hung or froze on turn on. The factory replaced the oscillator and it fixed the issue.May not be related to the OPs problem as his sounds constant.

it actually started out just freezing very occasionally on start-up, then eventually it got worse and requiring a few power cycles to get it to boot to the point where finally it just wouldn't boot after countless of power cycles.

seems to me now like the problem is definitely more severe than just an EPROM, not sure how Fractal support is gonna diagnose the problem without the actual unit. :(

Good luck with your troubles. 4 months at least shows you have some patience. It's probably time to be a little pushy to get to the bottom of the issue.

I actually bought this 4 years back directly from Fractal and shipped here to SG when the Axe II was just released, way before there was any distributor for Fractal products here in SG.
SG? Saturn/Ganymede? Southern Germany? South Guatemala? Shawn's Garage?

Your distributor looks like a guitar shop. They could be in over their heads.
Maybe you should go over their heads and put your case before Cliff's throne. He could give them some help and "incentive".
4 months is ludacrous and bad for the reputation.

Back
Top Bottom