AxeFX III: What's Missing?

Ten years from now, I expect the Axe FX III (and Axe FII, AX8) will still be djenting merrily along. Current wireless, bluetooth, phone and even computer OSes that exist now will probably be unsupported and long obsolete. I'd be thankful not to be wedded to such volatile technologies limiting current and future use of my FAS device. USB and analog audio I/O will likely stick around: New editors can be coded to keep the Axe FX III accessible wherever the computing device winds blow. For me, at any rate, FAS has made the smart choices: and left the configuring of discretionary peripherals to the needs of the user.

Last edited:
Thanks, Unix-Guy,

Pretty certain it's already been confirmed that there are 8 scene controllers...

Hmmm. I did a search of the forums just now and the only other reference I saw was:

I believe I read 8 scene controllers.

Hmmm, again.

Keg's "I believe" isn't exactly what I'd call confirmed, but maybe if I couple that together with your "Pretty certain," squeeze my eyes shut, cross my fingers and toes, and wish upon a star, it'll turn out to be true. :D

Alternatively I could go search around to see if I can find where he "read" it.

(Or an official Fractal-Person or Beta-Tester could independently confirm it for us?)

Oh, wait, while I was typing this, iaresee came in and said something....

iaresee,

You say,

There are currently 4 scene controllers for 8 scenes but 4 channels on the preset Control settings.

Okay, so if that's right (and I guess you'd know!) then there aren't 8 scene controllers, there are 4. (Which is still twice as many as we had before.

BUT,

I don't get why you added,
...but 4 channels on the preset Control settings.

Are you saying that, for each of the 4 Scene Controller rows, there are (in addition to the eight 0%-to-100% "knobs" we had in the Axe-FX II) some new "columns" containing "knobs" for selecting which channel a block is on?

Are you saying that, for each of the 4 Scene Controller rows, there are (in addition to the eight 0%-to-100% "knobs" we had in the Axe-FX II) some new "columns" containing "knobs" for selecting which channel a block is on?
I'm going to leave this for you to mull over. Think about it. It'll become clear.

There are currently 4 scene controllers for 8 scenes but 4 channels on the preset Control settings.
So, 4 sets, of 4 scene controllers for each scene.

I haven't used scene controllers in a while, so I'm confused as hell. It was one of those "great idea, but kinda missed the mark" things for me. But I'm always open to revisiting revised features.

Be great if we could have a built in Holographic Orthopedic surgeon\rheumatologist ............with voluptuous nurse of course ;)
Sorry, you'll just have to deal with a voluptuous holographic orthopedic surgeon\rheumatologist, there's only room for one holographic entity at a time.

Ok... So you have 4 sets of 4 versus 1 set of 2 per preset? If so, that's pretty cool (even though I barely use them, it opens up some really cool possibilities!).

Not sure, but I do know that you CAN buy a Bluetooth controllable coffee maker. For less than $2500.

And how much higher-quality is the resulting coffee due to the fact that it was brewed in a Bluetooth-controlled device?

It's about the ingredients in the machine that count, not the way you turn it on.

Ok... So you have 4 sets of 4 versus 1 set of 2 per preset? If so, that's pretty cool (even though I barely use them, it opens up some really cool possibilities!).

More scene controllers is great but the standard modifiers are where the power is for expression pedal, and most foot switch use. I would even be thrilled with a a set of 4 "mute channel" buttons within the modifier definition that could mute that modifier for the channels you want to ignore it (mute: 1,2,3,4 where the user presses the channel numbers they want ignored for the modifier being defined). With this, I could have a modifier on one channel without disturbing another. Still not as good as fully independent modifiers, but, I'd be pleased to see some progress in this area.

That's what I thought... But as he said "I'll have to check" and @iarsee literally did check, this is a case where I'm going to not believe Cliff.

Of course, since he owns the source, he can always make me wrong! ;)
All things subject to change at a moment's notice. What's in there now is 4. Things change daily.

And how much higher-quality is the resulting coffee due to the fact that it was brewed in a Bluetooth-controlled device?

It's about the ingredients in the machine that count, not the way you turn it on.

1. It's a joke, intended in the same nonsensical spirit as the post I quoted.

2. You are correct, it's the ingredients that count, and my Axe-FX II's ingredients are more than adequate. I do not need better amp models; mine are already indistinguishable from great tube amps. I do not need 2,048 cab models; I use about 12. I do not need 2x the processing power; my patches tend to run at about 80% CPU.

What I DO need is a better way of doing tweaks at band rehearsal than getting down on my knees and squinting at the front panel display. I need a non-kludgy, reliable way to wirelessly connect my iPhone to the Axe-FX and do quick edits in a rehearsal setting.

Since the Axe-FX III lacks that ability and its additional capabilities are of no value to me, I'll pass. Implement wireless control and I'll buy one tomorrow.

FracPad works on my iPhone 7+, paired with Yamaha Bluetooth midi receiver and midimittr app = portable rehearsal editor. Works great, check the FracPad section on this site...

No, no, no. You have to have a full featured front panel UI, otherwise it becomes a pain in the ass to do minor tweaks, which I find make up the majority of the editing I do.

You shouldn't need a screen for minor tweaks. And if you are doing more than minor tweaks, you might aswell use a phone.
Amp knobs on the axe FX instead of a screen. Oh yeah.

You shouldn't need a screen for minor tweaks. And if you are doing more than minor tweaks, you might aswell use a phone.
I don't think my idea of a minor tweak is the same as yours.

Also, why take the time to connect my phone, (which I would never use in the first place) when there's a screen already there with everything I'd need. It seems like an extra and unecessary step.

Why amp knobs, specifically? Apart from Level, I rarely even change any amp settings, only after updating firmware. To me, hi/low cut on the cab block are more important. Or gate settings.

Back
Top Bottom