AxeFX III Mk 1 Input Issue (TONS of noise, dropout etc etc) Video Included. ***SOLVED*** Video of solution included.

jwhitman

I'm in a panic.

Played three services at church this past weekend issue free. Worked like a charm like it always does.

I just fired it up for the first time since church today and it's doing all sorts of weird stuff. I'm afraid something happened to it in transport or after our last set on Sunday.

When adjusting the input level in the I/O, I only really have guitar sound, and bad at that, below 5%. As I go up, it crackles and comes in and out. I also have a ton of noise all the time now. I've attached a video below.

I'm hoping I've screwed up a setting or something, but I just did a settings reset. I've also loaded the latest firmware just a couple of minutes ago to no avail. Tried different cables. Connected and disconnected everything etc etc. The external audio is just an XLR out of the Axe into a Focusrite interface, out to a pair of Yamaha monitors. This noise is is present in the headphone jack as well.

Any ideas?

Is there anyone or does Fractal offer service in the CONUS? This is my only way to play guitar aside from a couple of plugins. I did buy it second hand, if that matters in regards to Fractal being willing to service the unit. I'll happily pay, I just want my unit working :(

You should not set that control below 5%.

Why are you shouldn't need to go that low. Your video only shows the sound when it's set very low, not in the normal range.

It's possible something shook loose during transport. You can pop it open and check all the ribbon cables are well seated.

Fractal support will help you troubleshoot and if it needs repair they can do that for a fee.

Note you'll need to add Output 2 in the preset or set Output 2 to Copy Output 1... And turn up the Output 2 knob on the front.

Well, I stumbled my way into fixing it thanks to one of your suggestions. Specifically, opening it up and checking the ribbon cables.

The ribbon from the input and headphone jack was loose. All is well it seems.

Quick video of what was wrong and a brief look at my '81 LPC as an ADHD "thanks" for your help lol.

might want to put electrical / sticky tape around the connection so it won’t happen again

Or put a small dab of low temp hot glue like they do, at your own risk of course

I’ve noticed that the ribbon comes loose often. Is it because the unit is moved constantly for gigs or other factors?

I’ve noticed that the ribbon comes loose often. Is it because the unit is moved constantly for gigs or other factors?
This particular unit does move a LOT. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a contributing factor in my case.

After a couple days with no issues, it's confirmed that the ribbon cable was definitely my issue.

Now let's talk about you selling me that LPC....
Oh, the '81 factory chrome hardware, all stock with original frets/nibs and Tim Shaws still in place? Might be a tough one to get out of my mitts lol.

Crazily enough, this thing sounds EVEN BETTER than it looks.

Oh, the '81 factory chrome hardware, all stock with original frets/nibs and Tim Shaws still in place? Might be a tough one to get out of my mitts lol.

Crazily enough, this thing sounds EVEN BETTER than it looks.
You're not helping with me wanting it less...lol.

I LOVE vintage Black LPCs. If you ever want to sell, I'm a buyer. :)
Not a - let me trade you these 3 old DOD distortion pedals and a Peavy bandit for your LPC.
I'm a cash money guy!

You're not helping with me wanting it less...lol.

I LOVE vintage Black LPCs. If you ever want to sell, I'm a buyer. :)
Not a - let me trade you these 3 old DOD distortion pedals and a Peavy bandit for your LPC.
I'm a cash money guy!
Haha, sorry.

If I'm honest, it took me well over a decade to find "the one" and unless something dethroned it, it's likely not going anywhere any time soon.

I'd be happy to share more details on this particular guitar via video as well as some playing clips if you'd like.

It's super heavy, sustains for days, and has a very vocal mid range/note separation that makes it an incredible rock/classic rock machine.

Haha, sorry.

If I'm honest, it took me well over a decade to find "the one" and unless something dethroned it, it's likely not going anywhere any time soon.

I'd be happy to share more details on this particular guitar via video as well as some playing clips if you'd like.

It's super heavy, sustains for days, and has a very vocal mid range/note separation that makes it an incredible rock/classic rock machine.
That's awesome! Enjoy it!
Always awesome to find a #1 guitar.

Although I am serious that I would purchase it. I have a 76 and 74 LPC (both black). The 76 I wouldn't sell. The 74 - eh, it would take a high price, but it's not as good as my 76, so I will sell at some point.

That's awesome! Enjoy it!
Always awesome to find a #1 guitar.

Although I am serious that I would purchase it. I have a 76 and 74 LPC (both black). The 76 I wouldn't sell. The 74 - eh, it would take a high price, but it's not as good as my 76, so I will sell at some point.
Gotcha! Totally get it. Have a couple PRS guitars and this LP that I feel that way about.

This LP stands out in a crowd of PRS guitars that I own as my only Gibson as typically I prefer a touch more modern feel in hand. But this thing is just that good.

Her name is Betty, as she came home on the day Betty White passed.

Back
Top Bottom