AFIII AXEFX III Live for BASS and IEM Mixing

JoeW-NC

My band finally had its first performance over the weekend, which gave me a chance to break in the new IEMs. in this band I play bass, so, not needing a wah pedal, I repurposed my 2nd expression pedal as a crossfader between my direct signal and the monitor mix, and it worked like a charm. I run wired, so I use a long instrument/headphone extinsion cable that I anchor just above the strap button/
IN1: Bass
IN4: Stereo monitor mix
OUT2: Full volume send to split snake for FOH guy
OUT1: Splits the signal just before OUT2, and uses a mixer block that blends my signal chain and the stereo monitor feed from a Qu16 mixer. I set Pedal1 (normally wah) to give the following response:
  • Toe up - 100% AXEFX signal chain, so I can clearly hear exactly what I'm sending.
  • Toe down - 100% monitor mix, so it's basically a crossfader with a twist: The monitor mix doesn't kick in until my AXE signal is close to max (I played with various "midpoint settings and got a great result where the direct volume increases, then rapidly drops out as the Monitor mix comes in). So just prior to going "full monitor" this lets me hear my direct signal loudly over the monitor mix. Very cool - hands-free personal monitor mixing for all I need with an expression pedal!

We got to perform a 10-song set to about 500 people and the AXE cut through beautifully! Won't bore you with the whole set which is in the playlist, but here's a 2.5 minute "highlight reel" of the show - check it out if you like Steely Dan, Supertramp, Toto, Paul McCartney. I didn't change patches at all during the set, but just occasionally used Pedal1 to check my sound from time to time, and an external switch to enable a virtual capo for some low D's without needing to retune. This video includes about 15 seconds of each song played.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom