AxeFx III - 4CM with On-Stage Cab and Stereo to FOH

Ventanaman

Inspired
Hi All!

I am planning on going down the 4CM rabbit hole with my B rig and would like to have my tube amp provide the amp tone and power an on-stage cabinet while sending a DI back into the AxeFX for the cab sim and then stereo to FOH?

I tried searching but couldn’t find a specific schematic - any suggestions would be appreciated!

-VM

Thanks - I read through that.

Can I split off a side chain near the end of my signal chain, insert a cab sim/post-cab effects, and then send that out to FOH via OUT1?
The 4CM is to allow you to have effects before and after your amp’s preamp section, normally returning just before your power amp so that your amp is powering your speaker cab. The purpose of this is to replace the pre/power amp of an amp block with your actual amp head. Keep in mind that you are returning to the Axe Fx with your preamp-only sound, and sending that to FOH sans the tone of a power amp or speaker cab will sound really weak and dramatically different from your stage tone.

So, yes, you can tap off your 4CM at the point just before your Out 4 block and send that to Out 1. But you’ll need to insert amp/cab blocks that approximate your stage sound… or whatever sound you want FOH to hear, as they can be as similar or different as you like. But, being as the point of 4CM is to incorporate your amp and speakers to create your tone, the norm is to mic your speaker cab to FOH. You’re free to experiment however you’d like, though. It’s the beauty of the Axe Fx!

I don't think you need an amp block. This is how I do it, 4cm with a Friedman Twin sister. Just before Output 4 I make a split, add a cab (and a filter that I set up as a tilt EQ) and Output 2 goes to the FOH. So the FOH gets the tone of the Twin Sister preamp.

4CM + FOH.jpg

I also use a wet-dry-wet set up. In that case I put Output 4 before the post effects. I split into 2 path, one with more over the top effects to output 1 (into a SS power amp and 2 cabs with FX12-200 speakers) and another with "normal" effects going to the FOH.

4CM + WDW + FOH.jpg

I don't think you need an amp block. This is how I do it, 4cm with a Friedman Twin sister. Just before Output 4 I make a split, add a cab (and a filter that I set up as a tilt EQ) and Output 2 goes to the FOH. So the FOH gets the tone of the Twin Sister preamp.

View attachment 90908

I also use a wet-dry-wet set up. In that case I put Output 4 before the post effects. I split into 2 path, one with more over the top effects to output 1 (into a SS power amp and 2 cabs with FX12-200 speakers) and another with "normal" effects going to the FOH.

View attachment 90909
Thanks M@rio! This is getting very close to what I want to to with a Friedman Wildwood 20 (in route). My only question is where are you getting your power amp tone into the signal chain?

With the WW20 I also have a direct out - it seems like I should also be able to run that balanced signal into a IN2 block and apply post-cab effects and send that to OUT1/FOH.

Since the power amp modeling is embedded in the amp block, there is also no power amp modeling in my presets. But I don't seem to be missing it in the FOH sound (or wet sounds).

Back
Top Bottom