AxeFx II XL Presets into AxeFx II Mk2 - WTF???

So after all the disdained emotional build up this would be a great segue for Fractal's next big announcement... The hiring of "AlGrenadine".

Obviously all hands on the farm are elsewhere building other cool tech, give this guy the gig already. He's got the chops and the passion, just say'n.

^^^^^ THIS^^^^^ Just Saying. Smart move. I have already said this in other posts.

Just discovered this topic after being unable to load a XL patch on a II.

The unavailability of a conversion tool from the XL format to the II is really annoying.

AFAIK, If it wasn't the same tech, the same algorithm, and the same modeling block that were use by the 2 machines that would be OK. But AFAIK it is (Where between AXE-I and II there where all these differences)

Well how much time and effort would it really take to do it ? I don't think so much effort that it justifies not doing it and leaving the II users not being able to use/share presets build on XL. Axechange is a great place to get new sounds. It loses a bit its usefulness if II users can use XL users shared patch.

To summarized it : It sounds like a lazy attitude not to provide the functionality in AXE-edit (at least).

Just my opinion and share it with myself which is already quite a challenge.

PS. I do love FAS and appreciate the high level of commitments of Cliff

Last edited:
Will there be a conversion tool come out in the future for this? It obviously would be very convenient for lots of people......

Time's arrow goes one way. The software I ran on my Power PC Macs doesn't run on the Intel Macs running Yosemite that I use now. There are some apps I miss that are never coming back.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but from the first day the XL was announced, it was absolutely clear that patch compatibility would go in one direction only. If you have XL patches that are dear to you, instead of accusing Fractal of laziness (!) I'd suggest taking screen captures from Axe Edit, and recreating them by hand on your older unit as closely as you are able.

I've heard people complain that they can't connect their monstrous old SCSI scanner to their MacBook Air. Some people are still upset about not having floppy drives. Sometimes you just have to move on.

It's always been known they are not compatible, it's the users responsibility to know what the unit is capable of.

Cliff: There's no point in acting all surprised about it. The info that you can't use XL presets with a regular Axe-Fx II (Mark I and II) has been on display at your local planning office.
User: On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.
Cliff: That's the display department.
User: With a torch.
Cliff: Ah, well the lights had probably gone.
User: So had the stairs.
Cliff: But look you found the notice didn't you?.
User: Yes, yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard".

:D

Cliff: There's no point in acting all surprised about it. The info that you can't use XL presets with a regular Axe-Fx II (Mark I and II) has been on display at your local planning office.
User: On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.
Cliff: That's the display department.
User: With a torch.
Cliff: Ah, well the lights had probably gone.
User: So had the stairs.
Cliff: But look you found the notice didn't you?.
User: Yes, yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard".

:D

Seriously... that's a jacked up post right there. I do believe there is a sticky at the very top of this forum about the XL, and that info is clearly right in there, assuming you can read.

Oh ya... and my freaking favorite PS2 games won't play on my damned PS3. What the hell Sony? What kind of crap was that? That was BS right there. Had to keep that old PS2 around just for... well... actually I kind of forgot what those games were now. I guess I've moved on.

Seriously... that's a jacked up post right there. I do believe there is a sticky at the very top of this forum about the XL, and that info is clearly right in there, assuming you can read.

Man, that was supposed to be a little joke, because that whole thing reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide. But if you're talking about this sticky-topic, you probably could show us the clearly visible info ;)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/80931-about-axe-fx-ii-xl.html

Man, that was supposed to be a little joke, because that whole thing reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide.
For the record, I caught the reference immediately and laughed, out loud, quite heartily. ;)

But if you're talking about this sticky-topic, you probably could show us the clearly visible info
About the Axe-Fx II XL
I was fairly surprised to see this first pop up on post #166. I bought my XL knowing this was the case (it's my first, so backward/forward compatibility wasn't an existing concern) but I'm admittedly kind of curious now as to whether I read all the way through that thread (including the 'spillover' discussion immediately prior to that post) to find out. Anyway:
NcUtmrT.png

I was fairly surprised to see this first pop up on post #166. I bought my XL knowing this was the case (it's my first, so backward/forward compatibility wasn't an existing concern) but I'm admittedly kind of curious now as to whether I read all the way through that thread (including the 'spillover' discussion immediately prior to that post) to find out. Anyway:
NcUtmrT.png

I was wrong (and I think someone pointed that out a little after my post in that thread).

Not knowing anything about DSP programming or SysEx, forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion - is there a way to "translate" the SysEx info from a patch into readable text so the patch can be created manually?

Time's arrow goes one way. The software I ran on my Power PC Macs doesn't run on the Intel Macs running Yosemite that I use now. There are some apps I miss that are never coming back.

This comparison can't be more wrong. AFAIK, the II has 2 TigerSHARK DSP and the XL has ... well .... 2 TigerSHARK DSP, so apparently no "CPU" incompatibility.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but from the first day the XL was announced, it was absolutely clear that patch compatibility would go in one direction only. If you have XL patches that are dear to you, instead of accusing Fractal of laziness (!) I'd suggest taking screen captures from Axe Edit, and recreating them by hand on your older unit as closely as you are able.

I've not accused anybody from anything. Read my words "It sounds like a lazy attitude not to provide". I think I did try to be cautious in a context (forum) where things can and are often misinterpreted :nightmare:.

But I am accusing you of accusing me of accusing .... and so on.:D Ain't no trial going on here anyway, it's just a forum.

I've heard people complain that they can't connect their monstrous old SCSI scanner to their MacBook Air. Some people are still upset about not having floppy drives. Sometimes you just have to move on.

Ok I will move on (I like that moving on), but one more thing before I move on, these "incompatibility exemples" you're giving are a bit far-fetched and honestly do not apply to what is discussed here.

Man, that was supposed to be a little joke, because that whole thing reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide. But if you're talking about this sticky-topic, you probably could show us the clearly visible info ;)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/80931-about-axe-fx-ii-xl.html

Alright then, My bad. I must admit I missed the reference. I never read "The Hitchhiker's Guide". Sorry man. And yes... apparently my memory was faulty. The info IS in that thread, but admittedly it is buried pretty deep, as shown in another post in this thread (Around post 164). I think I was referring to another thread that is not sticky'd - also shown in this thread - where Cliff states it clearly. But I will admit I think it might be a good idea for Fractal to modify that OP on the sticky to include a note that presets are not backward compatible just to make it easier to find.

That said, I'm a casual user of forum, but I do search and read this forum as my main source of info on the AXE-FXII-XL. Doesn't everyone? When I bought my Axe, I was well aware it was not backwards compatible for presets. I guess I just read it in the forum post referenced above. I could see someone else not knowing that, but I guess I don't get the outrage over the issue. I'm not a tech guru, so I don't waste my time trying to justify the electronic and software issues as to why or how it could be done. I just accept that it can't. The XL is a more powerful machine. It has some different processes and capabilities that make it not compatible. Could it be done? It sounds like yes it could.. but as stated, it's not a priority.

From what I can see, Cliff and Co give us TONS of value and free firmware upgrades. Many other music gear companies charge for that on an annual basis... (Sonar users... anyone?) New sounds cost new money. Fractal gives that to us... it's like a lifetime of upgrades for one purchase price. That makes business sense, because as they keep improving the product, they want everyone's AXE sounding it's best. That is terrific advertising as opposed to having 15 different versions out there with old FW not up to par...

But I can't see much value in dedicating time and money to develop a system simply to take presets built on the XL and transfer them to the older hardware version. There would be limited application for this. Really... only guys who upgraded, kept the II as a backup, built presets in the XL, and wanted to load them into the backup. Sure those guys are out there, but it's probably a small percentage of users. As Cliff stated, not a priority.

The systems are different!
That is why FW upgrades have different versions, one for XL, one for the II. the XL supports larger file size, and more X/Y capabilities (right? IIRC). Presets you build in XL would not work for those reasons alone... It's just a fact we need to accept and move on from. You don't have to like it... but to me it's a waste of energy getting mad about it.

There is a conversion utility- it's called PERSONAL EFFORT. Pretty simple to use, and is economical because it's power source is simply the desire to do the work required.

Or just be lazy and shell out for an XL- that's what I did...

many people have trouble understanding the concept of "finite resources." especially when it comes to computers, code, or anything digital.

yeah cliff, stop being so lazy.

stop creating new firmware, recording and creating new cab packs, responding to customer issues on the forum, helping pro artists with their setups, marketing your products, improving axe-edit, developing and launching the fx8, developing and launching any other products coming out, paying for current employees and manufacturing costs, developing new modeling concepts we haven't even thought of.

just stop.

it's obviously easy to make a conversion since they both say "axe" on it ;)

meh i'm just being silly. panties. bunches. stahp.

Last edited:
many people have trouble understanding the concept of "finite resources." especially when it comes to computers, code, or anything digital.

yeah cliff, stop being so lazy.

stop creating new firmware, recording and creating new cab packs, responding to customer issues on the forum, helping pro artists with their setups, marketing your products, improving axe-edit, developing and launching the fx8, developing and launching any other products coming out, paying for current employees and manufacturing costs, developing new modeling concepts we haven't even thought of.

just stop.

it's obviously easy to make a conversion since they both say "axe" on it ;)

meh i'm just being silly. panties. bunches. stahp.

Yep! It's real easy for the armchair business owners to toss out the advice on how to run your business without any knowledge of the model or margins. Hey, you don't need to stop what your doing or reprioritize your projects, just simply hire a programmer at 100K+ year and we'll all be happy with our new utility. :lol We have truly become a spoiled lot.

Back
Top Bottom