AxeFX-II Matchless Chieftan delay

mmcm4

Inspired
I've been playing around with the boutique #1 model and mimicking a nice washy tape delay. This is what I use for some modern worship stuff (think Jesus Culture).

It's basically a MIM 50's strat in the bridge position into the AxeFX-II, out to Reaper, with just a limiter applied. No post processing (mainly because I don't know how).

The patch is the boutique #1 model into a stereo cab with two 2x12 Boutique (RW) cabs, one miced with a R121 and the other with an SM-57. The room is set to 50% mix with a size of 2 and a mic spacing of 20% (i followed Scott's settings and it made an amazing difference, mixing in the room is key). I'm excited about the upcoming pentode modeling; I hope it will improve the low/med gain amps like the Matchless and Voxes even more.

I started with the mono tape model and tweaked from there. I increased the depth of both LFOs, added some diffusion (reverb on the repeats) and turned up the bit reduction to get a nice warbly sound.

Thanks for listening!

Disclaimer:
1. The guitar is out of tune.
2. The playing is terrible.
3. The patch itself sounds terrible.
4. Everything about this is terrible.
5. Please don't waste your time telling me it's terrible, but feel free to politely critique.

The Patch Itself:
View attachment Matchless Chieftan.syx

Last edited:
Man!, that patch sounds amazing! That patch has a beautiful "chewy" quality in the overdrive that reminds me of Pete Townsend's early 70's tone. I know most would compare this to The Edge, but Pete had mastered this type of tone (sans the chorus & delay) years before U2. Far and away one of my favorite guitar tones - really inspiring. Thanks for posting.

1, It sounds tuned.
2, Playing sounds fine.
3, Patch sounds fine.
4, Nothing about this is terrible.
5, Thanks for sharing.

:)

Thanks guys, it's just a lot of times I see someone who's made a great demo of a tone or cover and half of the comments are about how he played it wrong or his guitar wasn't in tune or how there was too much gain and stuff. I just wanna share with the group what I've been playing around with and I'm glad you guys appreciate it.

I was definitely going after somewhat of that Walk tone because of its chime and grit. I've really enjoyed tweaking the normal Matchless model; I'm gonna start playing around with some Redwirez cabs and see if that can make it sound even better.

Thanks guys, it's just a lot of times I see someone who's made a great demo of a tone or cover and half of the comments are about how he played it wrong or his guitar wasn't in tune or how there was too much gain and stuff

Maybe on YouTube, TGP or some other harsh forum, but i have never seen anyone on here blasted like that..unless they asked for constructive criticism or someone was a little to eager with their "advice" but 99.9% of the time you won't find that on here. :)

Sounds great to me and I love Matchless tones... like the edge you have going on that tone there.

And I'm co-owner of TGP... so... ;) :D

Dude, your guitar is out of tune and the patch by itself sounds terrible ....

But it is a great tone, that is sure. :)

That's a great tone. I had a Chieftain and this definitely has some of the cut and edge that the Chieftain has. Lots of texture to it. The Chieftain I had was interesting in that in some ways it sounded clearer and more pure than a BF Fender and at the same time it had that slightly spiky edge that it never lost, no matter how low the gain.

PS I agree that people here tend to be very generous in their assessments of playing and very helpful which I appreciate. Everybody's seeking to improve their sound and their music and we come here from every level of playing from relative beginner to top of the guitar world pro. I really appreciate that most people here respect the desire to play music and to improve from whatever place you are currently and whatever your goals or style are.

Back
Top Bottom