AxeFx II Live - It Don't Mean A Thing

Nice playing, cool arrangement and great tones. Kind of reminiscent of a Scofieldish kind of sound where you have a clean enough tone to articulate chords (maybe not big 5/6 note chord melody stuff;-) and a nice touch sensitivity to give you lots of color based on articulation and note density. Totally sounded like a great amp and pedals. I also just love the no into low gainy sounds of the II. I could get vaguely into that terrain with the Ultra, but I often wanted to tweak and tweak, and the balance of gain, articulation, sparkle, etc. would drive me nuts. With the II, these sounds start really good and go up from there. It's so easy to create a patch where you can dial from clean to sting just with the volume knob and picking. Then adding various drive flavors and/or boosts you get a huge set of variations.

It's tremendously inspiring to be able to create patches that reward a variety of articulations like you display in this tune. A very cool listen. Thanks.

PS. I'm listening to "Strange Meeting." Is that the same gig/rig? I'm a huge Frisell fan. Nice job on the tune. I love that song.

Last edited:
PS. I'm listening to "Strange Meeting." Is that the same gig/rig?
Yes. Same gig, same rig and same patch. The drives are all off on "Strange Meeting" and a second longer delay is added to beat against the shorter first one.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere! Both of the tracks in this thread sound simply fantastic. Is there a FOH (are you miking drums, bass and you are going direct) at all? Or is this your II + one IR + a "modded" K10? If it's the second, this is extremely impressive.
My concern is how "tweaked" the K10 is... do you think this type of tone is unobtanium with a stock, modest priced FRFR system? Please be honest.
Also, have these clips made their way to TGP? You should post them over there as well to show more of what the II can do, especially live!
EDIT: I posted these clips in a thread over on TGP -- if you have any issues please let me know and I will remove them.

;)

Last edited:
Loving it ! This is music !

I like the recording itself too. I like these kind of recordings when you close your eyes and it's like being there live, 5 meters in front of the musicians. Drums sound great too, very alive and lots of dynamics. Actually, when I close my eyes listening to this I go "come on, John Scofield converted to AxeFx and came to the forum to make some fun before telling us it's himself" LOL

Contratulations man, beatiful music and playing

EDIT: I posted these clips in a thread over on TGP -- if you have any issues please let me know and I will remove them.
Oh I have lots of issues... but not with that.

My concern is how "tweaked" the K10 is... do you think this type of tone is unobtanium with a stock, modest priced FRFR system? Please be honest.
At $750 the K10 is a modest priced FRFR system. If you are typing about powered FRFR that's in the $300-$400 range I don't believe the results would be satisfactory.

Try not to think of the FRFR system as part of the tone. Ideally the FRFR system should be transparent and reproduce what is coming out of the Axe as faithfully as possible. Generally speaking, the cheaper the system the further it will stray from flat response and transparency. Even with Jay's phase and EQ corrections I am not completely satisfied with the K10. It is getting me by until the right high end solution presents itself. The Axe II through high end co-axial FRFR sounds a lot better than what you are hearing in these recordings.

Is there a FOH (are you miking drums, bass and you are going direct) at all? Or is this your II + one IR + a "modded" K10? If it's the second, this is extremely impressive.
The drums are un-mic'd. The bass is through a 2x10 cabinet. The guitar is Axe II (DrZ 38 + G1265 far-field) through one K10 on a tripod. The recording was picked up by a small portable device sitting on the stage in front of us. As good as things sound the K10 is not transparent and the recording method pulls some of the guts out of the overall presentation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom