AxeFx II Live - It Don't Mean A Thing

scotts

Inspired
Axe Fx II: Mr Z 38 + G12-65 farfield
Recorded live on a portable something.
Second outing with the AxeII. Scott Simpson Trio. My bass player friend Aaron Goldberg and I playing for the first time with drummer Alan Aucoin.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://www.soundcloud.com/scottsimpson-1/it-dont-mean-a-thing[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds great! what drive were you using?
I have three drives on that patch:

TAPE DIST
drive 9.58
tone 4.61
level 2.05
mix 90%
low cut 129.9
high cut 3324
clip type HV tube
slew limit 1.69
bias .478
treble -1

TUBE DRIVE
drive 2.62
tone 5.64
level 2.30
mix 96%
low cut 200
high cut 7812
clip type HV tube
slew limit 4.57
bias 0
bass -2

BB PRE
drive 2.83
tone 5
level 4.5
mix 96%
low cut 700
high cut 800
clip type SI DIODE
slew limit 6.99
bias 0
bass -1

cool thanks!! Can I ask, how do you go about setting slew limit and mix?
Never got around to tweaking those two :)

Thanks!

The mix control in a drive block allows you to pass original signal around the drive effect. Adding in a small amount of dry signal gives the sound a little bit of attack that can get lost with certain drive effects. Turn on a drive and get a sound you like. Try going from 100% mix to 80% mix and you will clearly hear what the mix does. I usually land in the 90 to 95% area. Some of the drives greatly benefit from a little dry mix and some don't IMO.

The slew limit seems to have an effect on the high end - almost like a high frequency roll off. It is subtle (to me). Usually I fiddle with it when I am finished with the other more noticeable parameters. In some of the drives I can't hear much, if any, difference with this parameter. One of my personal Axe rules is that if I can't hear a noticeable difference and/or improvement when adjusting any given parameter, I leave it alone.

Did you use your Mitchell-modded K10s on this?
Yes. I only used one of them on this gig and it was plenty. The K10 is nowhere near as transparent as the co-axial cabinets Jay makes but it is still very very good. I can easily live with the K10 until the appropriate co-axial solution present itself.

The mix control in a drive block allows you to pass original signal around the drive effect. Adding in a small amount of dry signal gives the sound a little bit of attack that can get lost with certain drive effects. Turn on a drive and get a sound you like. Try going from 100% mix to 80% mix and you will clearly hear what the mix does. I usually land in the 90 to 95% area. Some of the drives greatly benefit from a little dry mix and some don't IMO.

The slew limit seems to have an effect on the high end - almost like a high frequency roll off. It is subtle (to me). Usually I fiddle with it when I am finished with the other more noticeable parameters. In some of the drives I can't hear much, if any, difference with this parameter. One of my personal Axe rules is that if I can't hear a noticeable difference and/or improvement when adjusting any given parameter, I leave it alone.

Wow, thank you so much for shedding some light on this!! Will definitely try playing with the mix parameter :)

That's good to know. I'll start messing with that for lower gain stuff. Quick question though. I play metal and will usually throw a drive block before my amp block to use as a clean boost. When it comes to mix in this instance, will I be wanting to leave the mix at 100% or should I try turning it down a little? I guess I could just mess around with it and see what sounds better, but just curious if there's a theoretical answer to that question.

I play metal and will usually throw a drive block before my amp block to use as a clean boost. When it comes to mix in this instance, will I be wanting to leave the mix at 100% or should I try turning it down a little? I guess I could just mess around with it and see what sounds better, but just curious if there's a theoretical answer to that question.
Try putting a filter block in front of the amp. Set it to "null" and then set the level to taste. This will push the preamp without adding any color.

Back
Top Bottom