Axefx 2 Mark II w/ Midi Solutions Quarda Thru

claxor

Power User
Hey,

I'm using a Axefx 2 Mark II and I have other midi devices I need to use with it. I'm feeding midi data through my MFC via 7-pin midi cable into the Axefx 2 Mark II, and then midi data out of the Axefx 2 to the other devices. The Midi Solutions Quadra Thru is a nice way to send the midi data to two other devices easily without errors. The Midi Solutions Quadra Thru is also powered via the midi 5-pin connectors only. This seems to work with many midi devices.

My question: Can the Axefx 2 Mark II's 5-pin Midi Out power the Midi Solutions Quadra Thru? Or do I need a special power adapter Midi Solution makes as well? Some midi devices cannot power the Quadra Thru.

MIDI Solutions Power Adapter; Power Supply for MIDI Solutions Products

Thanks!

I don't know 100% but I'd assume so. At one time I had a quadra thru from the MFC to some eventide pedals. The MFC powered the quadra thru over 5 pin MiDi

I don't see why the AxeFx wouldn't...

i had similar setup back in time, axe powered the quadro but it always scares me, you might plug another device via midi to quadra which would try to power itself through quadra and what you get out of axe might not be enough for all.
i didnt experience this with axe and quadra but i have seen my midi mergers and thrus going off cos of not sufficiant power.

I don't know 100% but I'd assume so. At one time I had a quadra thru from the MFC to some eventide pedals. The MFC powered the quadra thru over 5 pin MiDi

I don't see why the AxeFx wouldn't...

My Axe FX II powered the MIDI Solutions Thru and it worked unreliably with my 2 other MIDI devices freezing(my bandmate has had issues with them too)! I now use a Kenton(powered) which has worked flawlessly!

Last edited:
you might plug another device via midi to quadra which would try to power itself through quadra

no one is trying to power a device from the quadra. the only issue here is will the quadra itself be "powered."

i use one - MMGT controller to QUADRA input, then 3 outputs to Axe, Infinity Looper and x32 rack. works flawlessly. i haven't tried it from the Axe as the input, but i really don't think the quadra needs that much power and it should work. of course every situation is different.

Really? No one has encountered this problem? I find that hard to believe.
I think most people aren't familiar with the Quadra Thru, so they don't know what its power requirements are.

And yes, it should work just fine.

Do you know what his "other midi devices" are? What if he has another midi merger or tru connected to quadra which will also need power from quadra? I have been in these situations, thats why i mentioned that it could cause sometimes unexpected problems

no one is trying to power a device from the quadra. the only issue here is will the quadra itself be "powered."

i use one - MMGT controller to QUADRA input, then 3 outputs to Axe, Infinity Looper and x32 rack. works flawlessly. i haven't tried it from the Axe as the input, but i really don't think the quadra needs that much power and it should work. of course every situation is different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kenton comes with power adapter, had bunch of midi solutions and kempton devices, both worked without any isues but in your case kemton would be a safer way since it will have its own power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom