Axe vs. Eclipse

Jameson

Hey, can you help me choose? Since I don't have money to buy The Axe-II, which one (Ultra/Std/Eclipse) would you recommend? I think they cost almost the same. I want a used one. Thanks

Umm. You expect an unbiased opinion on the manufacturer's forum? :)

Buy an Ultra or a Standard. Bask in its glory.

Last edited:
the axe is infinitely more easy to program than the eclipse. the eclipse you are limited to only so many effects on a patch. you cant just select delay and add chorus... you have to build up a patch from another patch. you dont have all the routing capabilites either. I've owned an h3000 and an eclipse, h3000 was long gone, eclipse left when i got my ultra.

other side, if you just like turning the big knob and landing on some crazy effects, dont care about modeling, the eclipse might suit you better.

As you see the eclipse getting darker... that is the Fractal Ultra passing in front of it.
ROTFLOL... I've got no experience on the eclipse, but I doubt that the eclipse got any special spacey fx that you would be unable to come close with an Ultra. Ultra got a good and quite logical user interface, where I've heard that the user interface of the eclipse is pretty hard to get used to...

I had an Eclipse. While it is a great unit and excels at wide, ethereal sounds, the Axe FX (at least the Ultra) has a better range of effects and sounds as good/better. And as stated, the Axe is infinitely more user-friendly. There's also all the quality amp/cab sims the Axe has over the Eclipse if you want them.

The Eclipse is a studio multi-fx tool that can also be used by guitarists. The Axe is a dedicated guitar processor.

Eventide make truly fantastic stuff, I use the bigger model H8000FW in our studio. But the Eclipse is NOT a tool designed primarily for guitarists. I'll quote Eventide's own website - "Whether it’s live performance, front-of-house engineering, or quality studio processing, Eclipse gives you the tools you can depend on in one compact, professional package." In other words, you'll be paying for a lot of stuff you'll never use, and you'll get frustrated because it's internal routing is far more geared to what a recording engineer would want, rather than a guitarist.

The Axe however is a tool designed from the ground up for guitarists. As someone who owns both Eventide AND Fractal products, I strongly recommend you go with the Axe. You'll be much happier with it.

Last edited:
For the price you could get a Standard and a older Eventide H3000 and have the best of both worlds. A H3000 DS/X went here locally on Craigslist for $500. The caution is the H3000 io is not as easy to put in a guitar rack as the Eclipse. I needed a switching system for mine.

I also like the sound of the H3000 better. It is more grittier. That's probably why you still see more of these in studios compared to the Eclipse.

Back
Top Bottom