Axe to PA system and Matrix GT1000FX plus Cab - urgent help required!

mariliss

Hi All,

I'm a new Fractal user in desparate need for your help and advice.

I'm about to play a live show in a couple of hours, first time using my Axe. There are very few monitors on stage so I'm using my matrix+cab as a "monitor" for my guitar sound. The Axe FX is also connected to the PA system thru Output 1 (2 XLR, stereo) .
First, I had my Speaker sim turned off, but you may guess how that sounded thru the PA. Though, when I switched it on and the PA sound was great, the speaker sim also went into my cab.
I read the manual and it seems it's not a desirable setting. Is running the Speaker sim thru my guitar cabinet dangerous? May it damage my cab? The sound I get from the Cab is OK, my ears can deal whit it. I am really concerned about my cab's safety, though.

I'm sure I can split the signal to Out1 (PA) and Out2 (matrix+cab) using the Effects Loop block. Am I right (in order to hear all the effects in the axe-matrix-cab chain) the Effects Loop block should be inserted AFTER the Amp Delay Reverb etc. but BEFORE the Cab? I then should insert the XLR cables into Output 1 and connect the Axe to the Matrix/Cab using a cable to Outpu 2 L?

The presets I am using during this show are built according to layout AMP CAB DELAY REV etc. etc. How signifficantly will moving the CAB block to the end of the chain affect the sound?

I'm sorry if this topic was mentioned earlier. I checked the forum first but haven't found it.

Hi All,

I'm a new Fractal user in desparate need for your help and advice.

I'm about to play a live show in a couple of hours, first time using my Axe. There are very few monitors on stage so I'm using my matrix+cab as a "monitor" for my guitar sound. The Axe FX is also connected to the PA system thru Output 1 (2 XLR, stereo) .
First, I had my Speaker sim turned off, but you may guess how that sounded thru the PA. Though, when I switched it on and the PA sound was great, the speaker sim also went into my cab.
I read the manual and it seems it's not a desirable setting. Is running the Speaker sim thru my guitar cabinet dangerous? May it damage my cab? The sound I get from the Cab is OK, my ears can deal whit it. I am really concerned about my cab's safety, though.

I'm sure I can split the signal to Out1 (PA) and Out2 (matrix+cab) using the Effects Loop block. Am I right (in order to hear all the effects in the axe-matrix-cab chain) the Effects Loop block should be inserted AFTER the Amp Delay Reverb etc. but BEFORE the Cab? I then should insert the XLR cables into Output 1 and connect the Axe to the Matrix/Cab using a cable to Outpu 2 L?

The presets I am using during this show are built according to layout AMP CAB DELAY REV etc. etc. How signifficantly will moving the CAB block to the end of the chain affect the sound?

I'm sorry if this topic was mentioned earlier. I checked the forum first but haven't found it.

I highlighted the "preferred" way to do it, but it could change your sound a bit if you have a lot of blocks after the Cab and you relocate the Cab to the end of the chain. Its simple to move the Cab block to the end of the chain and try it out. If you were going to mess with the sound I'd suggest that you mess with the on-stage sound only, not the PA signal chain because that affects what your audience hears.

I highlighted the "preferred" way to do it, but it could change your sound a bit if you have a lot of blocks after the Cab and you relocate the Cab to the end of the chain.
As long as it is reverbs and delays it makes no difference before or after the cab. Chorus, rotary etc might be a little bit different, but probably not so as you would notice. If you are using drive blocks after the cab... Yeah, don't do that ;)

Its not going to damage your CAB.. The CAB block in the AX in simplest terms acts like a EQ.. If you just have a amp block, and no cab, and run that in to your PA or what ever .. it will sound very harsh and yucky.. Like you found out. So with the cab block now you get the tone you want out of output 1 to FOH.. if you run that into your external amp and cab.. ( not a full range system) . you will be adding again more CAB EQ of the external cab.. so it will probably not sound the greatest. Probably very mid-rangy and muddy, . BUT it wont hurt your cab.. If in a pinch.. I would just set up output 2 to slave output 1 Then the same signal comes out both OUTPUT 1 and OUTPUT 2 But you can still control the volume of either using the dials on the front, and you can also go into the GLOBAL page and adjust the EQ for OUT1 and OUT2 independently. That way you can maybe tweek the tone of OUT 2 that is going to our onstage monitor to sound a bit better and not effect the FOH tone.

How does it sound through your guitar cab when you leave cab sim on? if it sounds better just leave it on all the time. I do this also and I prefer that sound. I see the cab block as a sort of a major EQ. When you turn cab sim off the sound changes very much and you have to adjust your preset considerably. Nothing wrong with leaving cab sim on when it sounds better. Just use your ears and don't let you guide too much by what is the 'preferred' way. Just try both and see what works for you.

Also you can't harm anything by leaving it on.

Also. Make sure you're not running stereo in the I/o menu on the front panel (unless that's your desire). Use copy L->R

Also. Make sure you're not running stereo in the I/o menu on the front panel (unless that's your desire). Use copy L->R

that would be the exact same thing as keeping the output set to Stereo and using only the Left output to the mixer. so no need to change that setting unless you want 4 copies of the same signal.

Back
Top Bottom