Axe through RCF NX 12-SMA

That's awesome Rick! I totally get where you're coming from, let me know how it turns out!

Do they make passive versions?

I will certainly pass on what I hear, for better or worse! I have my Atomic 50 watt cab still here so I'll get to do a little side by side testing with them. I'm looking forward to doing the comparison. I hope to hear what I've been looking for, but the truth will be in the listening!

I don't know if there is a passive version of this speaker, the only ones I have seen were powered.

Some guys at the Kemper forum stated that, ITO, the 12-SMA is too loud for playing at home.
Since I give for granted that both the KPA and the Axe-Fx are properly equipped for controlling the amp's master volume, the overall output volume and whatnot, I'd love to hear from you guys what's your experience. Do you believe that a digital system based on a RCF 12 can sound gorgeous at low (apartment) volume setting?

I can't seem to catch what the problem could be, since we're talking of linear systems ... :?
Opinions welcomed!

Some guys at the Kemper forum stated that, ITO, the 12-SMA is too loud for playing at home.
Since I give for granted that both the KPA and the Axe-Fx are properly equipped for controlling the amp's master volume, the overall output volume and whatnot, I'd love to hear from you guys what's your experience. Do you believe that a digital system based on a RCF 12 can sound gorgeous at low (apartment) volume setting?

I can't seem to catch what the problem could be, since we're talking of linear systems ... :?
Opinions welcomed!

Sounds fine low. How low are they having issue at... are we talking whisper level or something? (Sorry, but don't think I'm welcome over at that forum. lol). :D

It sounds fine even when playing super low volumes.
I had to play some gigs at whisper levels with the e-drums being acoustically louder than my guitar signal and it still sounded good.

Hello everyone, is anyone setting it up behind them to play smaller places,
Un-Mic'ed like a traditional Cab and if so how does it sound ...?

hey guys!

question: do the Nx12's have the same "pushed air" feel as a cab when running at live volumes? Currently i'm running my axe through a 50w marshall power amp + orange 4x12 when with the band, or just straight to tannoy monitors at my desk. i have run the axe through my K12's but i've reverted to using them for vocals and piano for the band... i feel like in a rehearsal space the 4x12 works best for me because i don't have to worry about mixing the signal into the K12's, but would the Nx12 be more for personal monitor then getting the sound through to the band?

Hello everyone, is anyone setting it up behind them to play smaller places, Un-Mic'ed like a traditional Cab
and if so how does it sound ...?

Yes. It works fine, but you have to keep in mind that like any speaker it is directional. There is less 'beaming' than with a traditional guitar speaker - it is not harsh directly aimed at you - but it is just as directional so carrying a room is somewhat inefficient. I do try to get it up on a speaker stand when I have to do this but the last two gigs I've run this way it was on the floor. It worked, but not ideally.

hey guys!

question: do the Nx12's have the same "pushed air" feel as a cab when running at live volumes? Currently i'm running my axe through a 50w marshall power amp + orange 4x12 when with the band, or just straight to tannoy monitors at my desk. i have run the axe through my K12's but i've reverted to using them for vocals and piano for the band... i feel like in a rehearsal space the 4x12 works best for me because i don't have to worry about mixing the signal into the K12's, but would the Nx12 be more for personal monitor then getting the sound through to the band?

Depends on your IR's frankly. It's all in how you setup the cab IR's. IMHO, the way I do it... yes. And I've run next to 412's from other guitarists. See my comment above however, monitors are by design very directional.

Thanks Scott, I guess it depends on the application of the speaker... i guess personally i dont want to mix vocals piano (and sometimes even bass) into my K12's for rehearsal and then throw on top the axe signal - i'm sure it would be possible, but would require much more attention to mix and setting up of presents to work. at the moment i'm just using the power amp and cab to cover the whole space, not just to monitor myself.

Are you using the NX as a personal monitor, or as a monitor for everyone as well?

Thanks Scott, I guess it depends on the application of the speaker... i guess personally i dont want to mix vocals piano (and sometimes even bass) into my K12's for rehearsal and then throw on top the axe signal - i'm sure it would be possible, but would require much more attention to mix and setting up of presents to work. at the moment i'm just using the power amp and cab to cover the whole space, not just to monitor myself.

Are you using the NX as a personal monitor, or as a monitor for everyone as well?

I use the NX in many roles.

Primarily, and preferably, I use it as a personal monitor. I put it down in front of me in front of my pedalboard. I get the stage mix from the other bandmate's cabs and the vocal monitors on stage. They mix me in at whatever level they want from the monitor mix.

However, I can run it as a backline and carry the room. As I posted above, I have a speaker stand and prefer - when I have to run this way - to have it stand mounted just over my head. That works best. That said, in many rooms there just is not room to put a speaker stand behind me. So I flip the the speaker over to aim it higher and set it on the bassist's cab or even on the floor behind me. That works... but it's too directional to be honest unless you have a very focused narrow room. It works, but I'm not a fan of having to run that way.

On my weekly P&W gig, I run the Hearback directly into my NX and then I can run the mix as I see fit in my monitor for me. I often 'share' that with the drummer (I set up next to him if I can) and that works because I am very fond of cranking the drums up in the mix (on that specific gig, the drums are electronic).

So I am flexible, and the speaker is very good at what it does so I can do a lot with it. But having it aimed at your arse on the floor behind you just isn't a great solution IMHO.

IMHO, YMMV.

Rain said:
Hello everyone, is anyone setting it up behind them to play smaller places,
Un-Mic'ed like a traditional Cab and if so how does it sound ...?

I've run an NX10 just like an amp in small clubs and it works well. It has the same downsides amps do in terms of spread and audibility changing depending on location, but it sound as good as my bandmate's 58 Deluxe or 18 watt Marshall in the same setting.

I use it diagonal behind me on the floor on normal gigs as a personal monitor. I prefer that to having it in front of me (but that works, too, of course). When I have to fill the room (without going into a PA) I try to put it on a stand behind me (and switch the bass cut switch off). Works great, too.
When I play big shows I sometimes use two NX in stereo on stage. Then I use the second diagonal in front of me.

Just got my pair in. Plenty loud ;). Not too heavy.
It has more bass than my Atomic 50/50 (+2 passive atomic cabs). The low end is VERY solid, not flubby. I will have to redial my patches and cut down some of the bass.

This thing can stand up very well to my real cabs from first impressions. Lot more playing around to do :0)

My NX12 is supposed to be here Friday and it gets the baptism of fire on Saturday afternoon at a gig. Will spend Friday night tweaking the main patches. I have another gig on Sunday, but hoping to have something on the experience to post by the end of the weekend. I am intrigued by Java's first impressions. Wish I could have swung two, but I will have to do a little paying off first!

Has anyone who plays through the RCF come from the EV ELX112P? I went with that because I could try it out locally alongside other options and get it right away. I'm actually pretty happy with it so far (it hasn't been long yet though), and I'm quite happy to have paid $600 for it. I haven't ruled out returning it for the RCF 10 or 12, but they'd need to be significantly better to justify the cost.

Just as the Matrix and Atomic wedges are coming out RCFs are selling like hot cakes! :)

I'm trying to wait for the shoot out and all this great talk about the RCFs, which I know are awesome, is making me crazy! :)

Me too! Starting to feel like I'm missing out on the greatest thing since the invention of the axe itself!

Where are you guys finding the best price $$$ for the RCF"s?
What are the major diferences between the 10's & 12's?

Back
Top Bottom