Axe PC

ENDITOL said:
Did anyone catch this? Cliff on Rig Talk:

"beta version of our VST (that also runs standalone) should be out this week. It kills everything out there."
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37376

:shock:

This week?
COOL!
Too bad the pirates will eat Cliff up for breakfast... I hope he has a good plan,
this can hurt him.

By the way TH1 has a cool GUI ... but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the AXE-FX.

:D

Ummmm..... Axe-Fx.... for computer... VST... so no need to take my Axe off the rack and plug it to the computer... That is something that has putted me HOT FOR SURE !!!

Really really amazing to hear that !!!

Now I only need the pedalboard and I'd be a complete man :D

Keep the great (and hard) work Cliff !!! We all love Fractal !

Wait until you see our GUI.... schweeeeet.

Yes, the pirates are a serious problem. Therefore...

You MUST buy the Axe-PC hardware interface for the product to work. The hardware interface is also your product key. Each one is serialized and locked to your software. The software will NOT run if the interface is not attached to your computer. You don't need to use the interface (i.e. if you're running as a plug-in) but it still needs to be attached. Your computer also needs to be connected to the internet periodically to verify licensing.

I know a lot of people are going to complain about this but we have to do it. A LOT or work went into this product and we need to recoup our investment.

Okay... the hardware keying seems totally reasonable to me. The phone-home requirement might cop a little flak... some DAW users like to run unconnected.

A few can you/will you's............

Seeing as CPU/memory resources are down to the users computer, will you be blowing the doors off of the Std/Ultra instance restrictions. e.g. 4 drives etc.

Will it be restricted to 24-bit 48k?

FractalAudio said:

You MUST buy the Axe-PC hardware interface for the product to work. The hardware interface is also your product key. Each one is serialized and locked to your software. The software will NOT run if the interface is not attached to your computer. You don't need to use the interface (i.e. if you're running as a plug-in) but it still needs to be attached. Your computer also needs to be connected to the internet periodically to verify licensing.

I know a lot of people are going to complain about this but we have to do it. A LOT or work went into this product and we need to recoup our investment.

What about the Demo?
I assume it will run without the hardware.... and how do you protect that against piracy?

And... if one of us crazy AXE-FX owners would like to own the AXE-PC as well.... is there any crossgrade discount or anything like that? ......actually what I'm hoping for is to use that VST plug, with it's "cool GUI" to control the AXE-FX....
VST Editor for the AXE-FX????
Maybe???
Please???

:?:

How about the quality of the VST plugin vs. the AxeFx Standard/Ultra? Is it the same or are the algorithms simplified so that they run correctly on a PC?

The demo is time limited: 15 days. Also, it will only run for a few minutes and then shut down. You won't be able to access all the amp models or effects and you won't be able to save or recall presets.

We still need to discuss the whole discount for existing customers thing. I'm guessing we'll be able to do something.

FractalAudio said:
The demo is time limited: 15 days. Also, it will only run for a few minutes and then shut down. You won't be able to access all the amp models or effects and you won't be able to save or recall presets.

You know pirates can defeat things like that.
I would suggest the following..... don't jump, just think about it.

Instead of a Demo that could be potentially cracked.... I would release
a freeware instead.... one amp... maybe two limited cabs and mics... and maybe reverb with one setting that can not be changed or something like that.
Overnight you will be a hero, your freeware will sit on every desktop to be compared to any other plugin ever created.... all other amps will be there visually they just won't be able to access them without purchasing the full version.
This thing will just sit there advertising you like crazy, teasing people every time to buy the full version.

Think about it.
It's very powerful.

:idea:

FractalAudio said:

One option to forcing users to hook up to the internet periodically would be a challenge/response type system. I've worked with an accounting program that periodically brings up a "challenge", you then can either hook up to the internet to get the "response" or you can send an email (from a different cpu if necessary) to get the "response", or you can even call an 800 number. When the system brings up the "challenge" it gives you a number of days to get the "response", it's not something that you have to do that very second to be able to use the software. I think any sort of system like that should give the user a few days warning before it disables the software.

In our studio our main recording cpu is not hooked up to the internet and it never will be, my desire to use an AxeFx plugin will not change that. I think it is fairly common in many studios for the recording cpu to be left unconnected (for obvious reasons).

Having the hardware act as the key is totally reasonable. One cool thing about the hardware acting as the key is that you can install the software on numerous machines and then simply take the hardware to the desired machine. I would certainly take advantage of this by moving the hardware from home to the studio from time to time. I also do that with my Digidesign Mbox.

p

Arjan said:
How about the quality of the VST plugin vs. the AxeFx Standard/Ultra? Is it the same or are the algorithms simplified so that they run correctly on a PC?

I would love to know also about all that. Exactly the same quality? and how much of my 3ghz C2D it will take a complete patch?

Also the 8 i/o usb interface seems maybe to much (as it also will increase the price considerably) for the people who already have a good audio interface. Sadly our axefx can serve as a dongle as it dont have a usb port :(

Last thing: that beta would be available to download this week to try it?

One word...

Mac?

Anyway...

I've always shied away from PC based stuff.

I like the ideas, and benefits behind it, last minute re-amping, and such, but I've always preferred the ability to use the same device I record with in a live situation.

I always get annoyed when I can't make the same (or at least similar) sounds live as I did on a recording because I over-recorded it, or an effect I used on the recording doesn't exist in my live gear.

I know no matter what I use it will never sound exactly alike, with multi-tracking an all, but if I use a cool ass delay in the studio that simply MAKES the song what it is, I want to be able to get something that's close enough live that people recognize it when I play it through my live rig.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the Axe-ULTRA can do everything the Axe-PC can do I might actually get this one day.

Guitar-Tiz said:
One word...

Mac?

Anyway...

Here is quote from Cliff on Rig-Talk:

The basic idea is to turn your PC or Mac into an Axe-Fx. [sales pitch mode] You supply the hardware, we supply the audio interface and software. So you get our award-winning modeling and effects running on a PC or Mac. [/sale pitch mode]

;)

I'm interested and curious about a few things....

1. How's the latency going to be with USB? I was always under the impression that firewire or PCI were the ways to go for PC interfaces because of their speed.

2. Just wondering about what kind of deal there will be for people who already own a hardware Axe-FX and would like to have the software on their pc. It'd be nice to have if the price was right, but if it was too high I probably wouldn't bother since all the same features are already in the box.

3. Any plans for doing things with the software that the hardware versions aren't capable of because of memory constraints? Like using convolution reverbs for example?

Is any latency induced by the vst?

You say it will use an 8 channel usb interface. Will this be capable in working in a standalone mode, featuring optical connections, such as spdif and adat? This seems like a perfect choice for those of us who already have pro studios, but having a seperate interface could cause some potential problems... in XP, ASIO drivers don't really play well with other asio drivers, and even when using asio4all to combine devices, it can cause instability. Same with aggregating the devices in OSX. Not to mention the usb protocol has many well known limitations when it comes to audio, latency, and bandwidth. Adat / spdif / all those fun digital tings would be awesome =D.

Last question. If it will use the same converters and front end featured in the Axefx, then would it be completely sonically similar to the axefx?

Thanks!

theaero said:
Is any latency induced by the vst?

You say it will use an 8 channel usb interface. Will this be capable in working in a standalone mode, featuring optical connections, such as spdif and adat? This seems like a perfect choice for those of us who already have pro studios, but having a seperate interface could cause some potential problems... in XP, ASIO drivers don't really play well with other asio drivers, and even when using asio4all to combine devices, it can cause instability. Same with aggregating the devices in OSX. Not to mention the usb protocol has many well known limitations when it comes to audio, latency, and bandwidth. Adat / spdif / all those fun digital tings would be awesome =D.

Last question. If it will use the same converters and front end featured in the Axefx, then would it be completely sonically similar to the axefx?

Thanks!

I'd like to know exactly that as well, please.

Is the beta only going to be open to people who already own Axe? :) or is the beta just the demo version you are talking about?

I am only planning on using the Axe at home for recording & quiet jamming anyway, and the Ultra is very overkill for what I need.. I might sell it right away to get this VST instead. But I would delay that if I need my Axe to get in on the beta.

I've been interested in the Axe-Fx but have decided against the hardware unit because of the godawful 1980s datawheel user interface (I hate those with a passion). Thus I'm rather interested in the PC version.

However, some questions:

1) Will there be Vista support, specifically Vista 64-bit support? Because if you're forced to use the audio interface then not having Vista 64-bit support will mean I simply won't buy it. XP isn't coming near any of my computers ever again.

2) Will the audio interface as well as the standalone software also work in OS X? Because I'd love to be able to haul just a Macbook Pro and the Axe-Fx software as a gig rig.

3) How about something like an iLok key version instead? Lots of people, including me, already have quality audio interfaces so having more of them isn't exactly helpful. I think it's simply an awful shame to make life harder for the legit user just to thwart piracy. If it sounds as good as you say, I'm sure those who would buy it will buy it and those who wouldn't buy it in the first place simply won't.

4) How will the audio interface perform as an output device? Meaning what kind of sound quality (compared to well-respected audio interfaces) will we get out of it for stuff like simply playing back music?

"Calling home" is an idiotic practice though. Lots of programs have tried this and it has always been circumvented so it's just extra annoyance. While I don't believe in the "take it off the net" practice for recording PCs, many others do and that makes this yet another legit user problem.

I also agree that a 8 i/o audio interface is a bit much.

Back
Top Bottom