Axe III - low level on rig for Acoustic guitar

Tilt

Inspired
I would like to use Axe III also with my acoustic guitar, for a new project in which I have to switch many times between this one and the electric one.
I have unfortunately noticed that the sound is very low, although the level of the blocks is at 0db.
Pulling up 4 or 5 db is not enough, even if I made it on 2 or 3 block and, also, in this case background noise increases.

I would like to understand where I'm wrong
The rig is really simple:

in2 > Dry > Rvb > Looper > out1

For El and ac guitars I use independent "in" (1 and 2) but same "out1"

Thanks you for share your opinion
:)

0db just means you aren't boosting the signal. The signal coming out of your Acoustic is very low, which is why it needs to be amplified just like your electrics. Either put a tube-pre in there or insert some neutral boost via volume/filters, etc.

0db just means you aren't boosting the signal. The signal coming out of your Acoustic is very low, which is why it needs to be amplified just like your electrics. Either put a tube-pre in there or insert some neutral boost via volume/filters, etc.

thank you for your reply.
I already tried and put two EQ blocks, two volume blocks, and pulled up 4/5 db on them and also on Out1 block. The level is still too low, in return I gained a lot of background noise.

Best to boost the volume at the very start of the grid, in the Input block.

Or switch to an active pickup for your acoustic.

I'm using a Taylor 314ce first serie, didn't try new battery, the old one should be almost new and its led status is off. However I'll check a new one, maybe it's a defective battery.

Attachments

• taylorta34.jpg
    taylorta34.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 5
The problem is not the battery.
Do you think should be enough a good D.I. with Axe III or should I try a preamp as Aura Fishman etc etc?

if your guitar has a low signal, anything you do to boost it will boost the noisy low signal. external DI, axe blocks, etc. it doesn't matter. if the source is "bad" then anything done after it is being done to that "bad" signal.

i use acoustic guitars through the axe all the time and just boost one block (usually PEQ) to compensate for a lack of amp block (which usually provides the main volume for any normal preset).

i'd try to get more signal out of the guitar itself. how loud is it turned up? most modern guitars have tons of signal.

Acoustics-electric guitars generally have lower output than electric guitars. As @yek says, put a block at the front of your chin that will allow front r a clean boost.then turn up that block’s output level until the signal level matches your electric guitars. Done.

Last edited:
Taylor acoustics, at least on mine I purchased about 9 years ago requires a stereo 1/4” to xlr plug to get full signal out into the amp. If you use a regular 1/4” jack, it cuts the signal and you have to turn the volume on the guitar all the way up to compensate.

To my ears, the tube pre amp model colors the time a lot (some might like it), so I prefer to use just a digital boost. However, the signal from my acoustics is very dynamic/spikey, so some sort of saturation is needed, or I get output clipping all the time. The saturation could come from a drive block with the tape saturation. That might sound more neutral to you than the tube pre.

Back
Top Bottom