Axe-II + Macbook Pro?

We do? No… I just need to simply (I hope) figure out how to get sound into Quicktime.

I want to make a video of guitar playing. Because I can't play with the real amp in my apartment, I thought I should use the Axe-FX. It's just collecting dust and I thought it might be useful here.

More than ever, I am interested in meeting people in person to try and use Axe FX.

AxeFX updated using FractalBot. I'm trying to figure out how (or if) i can record into quicktime, or if that's not right, then how can I record into my computer. And can I get sound to come out of the internal speakers. I'm in SF and it's annoying here. I'm a small minority of straight white male rock guitar player. I want to play my guitar but the neighbors don't like (or deserve) to hear practicing through the amp (even though I really want to use my MesaBoogie). I make pretty good coffee and could use some help and good company.

I want to use quicktime to record guitar.

Guitar is conneted to Axe FX II, connected to computer. AxeII input LEDs light up.

From quicktime,
1. new Movie Recording
2. Select input source: Axe FX II

Quicktime's "new movie" box volume indicator was lighting up, with the guitar but I couldn't hear anything I played. Output source was "internal speakers". But now quicktime doesn't light up at all. Why?

What should I do to record my guitar into quicktime?

1. new Audio Recording, not a a new Movie Recording.
2. Select input source: Axe FX II
3. Close QuickTime, Delete QuickTime application forever! Never use it again.
4. Open GarageBand
5. select GarageBand, Preferences, Audio/Midi, for Input Device, select "AXE-FX II". Close Preferences
6. select Track, New, "Microphone or Line Input", Create.
7. select "Record", start jammin'.

Quicktime is an older legacy application and MANY much better applications can do so much more/better than QT.

Hi and Thanks. Garage Band will be handy for soundclouding and multitracking stuff. I wish I had a garage…

But I need to record video and audio together for a video correspondance guitar lesson. I'm going to do a live video tomorrow, during the day, with the Mesa Boogie and my blue snowball mic. Amateur gear, but it sounds ok. Well, to me at least it sounds OK. The neighbors, judging by the tapping noises, don't seem to like it so much... and that's why I need a more long-term solution.

I use QT for recording my other videos — both screen and buit-in video camera recording — so definitely not going to delete it just yet.

Sounds like your requirements have changed.
Also, it sounds like you may be using the "QuickTime Player" and not the "QuickTime Pro" version.
You haven't told us yet. The Pro version has editing, etc.
There are some notes from Apple about how to adjust the input source for your video.
QuickTime Player
Have you tried these?
Also, it you are bringing audio into your QuickTime Recorded Movie via the Axe-FX, how are you planning on
inputting audio via your voice? I don't know how you are going to bring in audio from two sources or your plan
to mix them.

Hi Ape. I use the Mac all the time, and frequently record video. I've not done it with Quicktime though, as Apple sunset that ages ago. You should have iMovie on your Mac too. Do you know what version of the MacOS you are running and what version of iMovie? The menu options change every so often.

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this in the thread, but the way the Axe will be setup by default, and the route that will give you the least latency when recording over USB, is to use the Axe as an interface / sound card. To set this up on the Mac you need to go into system prefences, sound (on the Mac). Set input to AxeFX (it should be available to select if it is switched on and the drivers were installed) and select output to AxeFx. This makes the Mac treat the Axe as the sound card rather than the internal. Don't worry, when the Axe is powered off, or disconnected, the Mac reverts to internal settings.

Now that the Mac and Axe are setup such that the Axe is your sound card, all audio from the Axe and the Mac are routed through the Axe. To hear it, you need to either connect powered speakers to the outputs on the back of the Axe, or my preferred method, plug a set of headphones into the Axe. Now any audio playing on the Mac will come out the earphones, and anything from your Axe will also be on the earphones. You can play along to backing tracks, you can monitor recordings, etc.

Don't be tempted to enable software monitoring on the Mac side, it will just cause massive latency. Use the Axe for monitoring. When you are done recording and are happy with what you have, turn off the Axe and the Mac will default back to its own speakers. All playback will be back through the Mac.

Fire up iMovie. Click import on the top button menu. iSight will fire up and a record button is present. It should automatically listen to the AxeFx because of the sound input changes you made above. Just record, edit, have fun. I don't find iMovie as intuitive as it once was, but it is free and does the job. I am running iMovie 10 on Yosemite by the way. It's not been uodated in a while so hopefully you have the same version.

In regards to firmware updates. It's straightforwards. First, unzip the firmware file you downloaded so that you have the syx file. Next start Fractal-Bot, then choose your device in step 1, browse for the firmware syx in step 2, and click begin. Wait till it's complete on the Mac, then wait for it to complete on the Axe, eventually it will ask you to power of for 5 secs and power on, wait for that message as the Axe does stuff after the Mac finishes.

You will find after updating that the Axe sets the USB level internally to 0. This needs to be turned back up. It's in the IO settings somewhere. The firmware release notes explain it I think. There's also a sticky in this forum.

You can also refresh the presets in the same way. You should as a lot changed. Note however that the presets still aren't that impressive.

Back
Top Bottom