Axe-II + Macbook Pro?

APE

Inspired
How do I connect the AxeFX-II to my Macbook pro? Does it support USB?

Can I plug my AxeFX into my mac's USB? And if so, how? Thanks.

I'm probably going to use AxeFX with Jammit to work on other peoples' music. I don't know how to record my own and I can't use my Boogie because I live in a small, old apartment bulding with neighbors. I am angry about it.

I bought AxeFX-II right when it came out, I think in 2011. I have maybe firmware 2 on it, which took hours to figure out how to do. I was overall confused by this device, so went out and bought a 2-channel MesaBoogie 30w tube amp with Reverb. The Axe is collecting dust. Please help me use it to connect to the mac.

Yes it supports USB communication -- both audio and MIDI over USB work.

First install the drivers: Fractal Audio Systems - Support

Then connect it to the MAC via USB, turn it on, and it'll show up as an audio and MIDI device your Mac. Remember: use 48 kHz for your sample rate in any audio program you're trying to record from via the Axe-Fx II. It only supports the 48 kHz sample rate.

While you have it connected via USB you should use Fractal-Bot to update it to the latest stable (18.12) or beta (19.00 beta 3, which is pretty stable) firmware. Which is very easy to do over USB. Fractal-Bot prompts you, walks you through it more or less.

Wow – are you ever in for a surprise!

Be sure to update *everything* – FractalBot, Axe-Edit, the USB drivers… all the way up to firmware 19 beta 3, which arrived this morning. Then load the entire swath of the most recent factory programs… anything you did before you’ll pretty much need to redo from scratch, anyway. If there’s something precious to you save the patch with FractalBot, but believe me… quite a lot has changed.

I'm using the AxeFXII with a MacBook Pro in my living room… works like a charm. Let us know what you think once you arrive in the here and now!

And for goodness’ sake, be sure to check your USB Return level… this link will spare you the forum’s favorite question…

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...omputer-sound-quiet-silent-heres-what-do.html

The replies are good. Here is what I did so far:

1) Download Fractal-Bot - DONE
2) Download & Install USB Driver Setup - DONE

Does AxeFX firmware push the update to the device after installing it or am I missing something?

This is what I did so far:
  1. plugged the AxeFX in & turn on
  2. Connected AxeFX USB to MBP
  3. in Mac, System Preferences > Sound > Input, select AXE-FX II ("The selected device has no input controls").
  4. Go to I/O button
    1. a. Audio Tab
      1. i. scroll down to USB/DIGI OUT Source
      2. ii. see that right column is "OUTPUT 1"
  5. connect guitar to AxeFX II INSTR jack using guitar cable.
  6. Play guitar

Result:
Axe is on but INPUT STATUS lights on Axe don't light up when I play. And no sound. The TEMPO light is blinking.

How do I get my guitar input to work?

Advanced tutorials: Videos | AxeFxTutorials.com

Last edited:
I'm probably going to use AxeFX with Jammit to work on other peoples' music.

You won't be able to use the AxeFx as an audio interface to play along with Jammit.

Jammit requires a 44.1khz sample rate to run, but the AxeFx is locked at 48khz.

Where in California are you? You could seriously use some one-on-one face time with a more experienced Axe FX owner.....:eagerness:

try setting it to Analog.

OK! Now the lights on the Axe-Fx's INPUT light up. But no sound coming from my computer yet.

Also Fractal Bot is not working with the file I downloaded:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/firmware-presets.php

Firmware
Axe-Fx II (Original/Mark II) Firmware v18.12 Zip Archive - May 4, 2015 -
axefx2_18p12.zip.

I chose: axefx2_18p12.syx

Fractal-Bot said:
An error has occurred during file transmission. This
may have happened because you manually put the
Axe-Fx II into firmware update mode which is not
necessary for the version of the firmware that is
currently installed.

Please try again.

I am in San Francisco, and yeah, would be cool to meet some people. This forum keeps logging me out, too!

OK! Now the lights on the Axe-Fx's INPUT light up. But no sound coming from my computer yet.

Also Fractal Bot is not working with the file I downloaded:
Fractal Audio Systems - Firmware & Presets

Firmware
Axe-Fx II (Original/Mark II) Firmware v18.12 Zip Archive - May 4, 2015 -

I am in San Francisco, and yeah, would be cool to meet some people. This forum keeps logging me out, too!

System preferences, sound -> make sure axe fx is selected. Sound won't come from your computer, the computer's sound will come through the axe fx so keep headphones/speakers attached to the axe. The axe becomes your soundcard.

Fractal bot, select the FXII device and browse to the syx file and click begin. If it keeps failing try another USB cable.

I work in San Francisco and live in on the south end of East Bay. If you want to meet up and get some in-person help I'm down for that.

Does AxeFX firmware push the update to the device after installing it or am I missing something?

You use FractalBot to manually update the AxeFX with the newest version of the firmware. After that, you should use it to load the latest version of all the factory presets. Bless its pointed little head.

AxeFX updated using FractalBot. Working on getting some headphones next so I can hear it. Thanks!

I want to use quicktime to record guitar.

Guitar is conneted to Axe FX II, connected to computer. AxeII input LEDs light up.

From quicktime,
1. new Movie Recording
2. Select input source: Axe FX II

Quicktime's "new movie" box volume indicator was lighting up, with the guitar but I couldn't hear anything I played. Output source was "internal speakers". But now quicktime doesn't light up at all. Why?

What should I do to record my guitar into quicktime?

Back
Top Bottom