Axe II just KILLS for blues tones

Cainer

Experienced
posted a different version of this tune last week - this one's from the following night and has better audio quality. Recorded from the audience.

I've never been happier with my tone - this thing has completely replaced the need for tube amps for me.

Sounds very great!
Do you play directly into the mixing console, or do you use FRFR cabs / wedges or a power amp into traditional guitar cabs?

Sounds very great!
Do you play directly into the mixing console, or do you use FRFR cabs / wedges or a power amp into traditional guitar cabs?

Thanks man!

In this case I was using my QSC K12 as backline, and running direct into the the PA as well for some fill. Sometimes i'll just use the K12 by itself, or if the venue has a decent system I'll leave it at home and just run direct. I don't ever use a traditional guitar cab, it's always FR/FR these days. Getting the volume on stage up to where it'll rattle your sternum a little is a key part of getting it to feel like a tube amp I think.

Damn! I loved your clip from last week and this one just as well. Killer chops and tone. Thanks for sharing. What amp and cab are you using?

Bow - great!

It seems to be so easy to reach Stevie´s tone............

Are you playing really loud on stage - so this is mixed recording from stage and DI?

Damn! I loved your clip from last week and this one just as well. Killer chops and tone. Thanks for sharing. What amp and cab are you using?

It's the Super Reverb and the cabs are Tyler Grund's JBL e130 IR (check his website for the download) and I believe one of the Clark Kent free 4x12 IRS, mixed. I've got a the TS808 model in front of it as a boost for some of the hairier solo sections. I'll upload the patch once I'm able to get the Axe near my computer again - have just been playing too many gigs with it lately to lug it upstairs ;)

Bow - great!

It seems to be so easy to reach Stevie´s tone............

Are you playing really loud on stage - so this is mixed recording from stage and DI?

Not playing ridiculously loud - no direct recording in this one, it was a Zoom H4N in the room. I used my QSC K12 for stage volume, and ran the Axe's 2nd output through the P.A. to beef it up. I find there's a certain volume level you need to hit in order to get that 'oomph', but it's certainly not as loud as my real Super Reverb ;)

Great Gary-I would expect nothing less- But this one especially hits a nerve-Love it. Playing and the tone..................................It's your Strat or your Tele-?

Thanks

Great Gary-I would expect nothing less- But this one especially hits a nerve-Love it. Playing and the tone..................................It's your Strat or your Tele-?

Thanks

Thanks! It's the strat

Sounds great! Was the bass player buying the sound man beers? ;)

lol - I'll have to tell him you said that ;) He was just running his rig, no sound man to be had.

+1
Nice work man!
So I have never been a Strat guy. In the 30 years I've been playing I've never even owned one until recently.. I've always adored the diversity and the "tubey" tone of the Strat and have recently taken some serious time to dial in a killer blues tone. It has been during this time that I found myself audibly saying "wow this machine is killer!" And smiling like an idiot.
Simply walking through the stock presets with my stratocaster wasn't that fun though. It seemed to me that the majority of the stock presets weren't very strat friendly so it made me make my own sooner than I did with my other guitars...

You certainly found a killer tone for yourself and I'm sure your soulful playing doesn't hurt the search either! Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What gauge are your strings? You've gotta be using at least 12's to get that tone, no?

No, I'm actually using 10s! I was on 11s for the longest time until my luthier accidentally re-strung with 10s and i decided to give it a go. I'm really beating the hell out of them, but they're 10s. I'm tempted to move back up to 11s to see what they sound like, but right now the guitar feels good so I don't want to mess with it. There's a LOT of dynamics available in this amp model just by playing harder or softer - I LOVE it.

Congrats on an absolutely killer tone...I've just recently purchased my dream rig: AxeFX II MKII and MFC 101...I've wanted one for years and made the decision to take the plunge and not look back...I have a friend that has the same rig w/ A Mesa stereo power amp and two Mesa 212 cabs...I've decided to use what I have at the moment which is a Supersonic 412 cab loaded w Vintage 30's and a Mesa power amp...I have a small PA that I can use as well...gonna sell all of my tube amps...I have quite a collection...time to downsize as everyone of them is in the AxeFX II...listening to you lets me know that the tube sounds I need for my blues tone is there...thanks again for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom