Axe II "Comeback" from a Kemper Fan

welcome back mDaniel! And thank you so much for giving us this tip about the Deeflexx! I'm really excited about this product!
It does not seem as some kind of fraud-product, just listen to this video. watch it, but listen too.. My ears tells me this is a great product!

The magic starts at 1:22

I thought I recognized your name from here some time back as well as the Kemper forum. I appreciate you taking more of a diplomatic/mature approach with your posts to all the "shit slinging" towards the Axe that had gone on over there. At any rate, welcome back mDanial.

Oh... just so you know,
...Jacques from G66 (greatest guy on the internet)
... not true... I am! :D ... not really
blue.gif

Again... Welcome back and all the best with your new and improved Axe II.
cheers2.gif

More Deeflexx!

Last edited:
What did I do with mentioning the DeeFlexx :)? I think videos really don't tell the truth, you really have to check it out in person :) My Mesa 112 with DeeFlexx sounds "bigger/huger" than my Marshall 412 :)

If you are interested I can match any of your KPA presets. Send them to me or tell me which ones you use and I'll match them.

Thanks for the offer, Cliff :) My favorite presets are from theampfactory - dunno if you have the profiles as they aren't free... Maybe you can describe the best way to match the KPA?
I have both devices here...do you "just play" or do you use some frequency/noise generator/whatever to match the profile? Also - do you have a cab in the signal chain or only Amp + TMA block?

I'll have to check that out.

tpruitt said:
ok got it i think.website wont let me upload sorry.kpa tag is "splawn marshall m"

You mean the "PT Splawn Marshall M" from Pete Turley? I try to match it - maybe Cliff wants to give it a shot too, here's a link.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9333867/2012-05-18 180540 - PT Splawn Marshall M.kipr

Thanks for the offer, Cliff :) My favorite presets are from theampfactory - dunno if you have the profiles as they aren't free... Maybe you can describe the best way to match the KPA?
I have both devices here...do you "just play" or do you use some frequency/noise generator/whatever to match the profile? Also - do you have a cab in the signal chain or only Amp + TMA block?

I'll have to check that out.

Cliff made a powerpoint regarding tone matching/amp matching/IR capture. Here it is.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/Amp Matching Tutorial Slides.pdf

Maybe you can extrapolate a method from there.

I just ordered a Deeflex. It should work with FRFR wedges (putting them on a side), so I'm gonna try that...
I'm sure there will be others uses for it in my studio, too.

The deeflex looks cool but at about $20 for a 4/12 why not just use the Mitchell speaker directivity modifiers? They work very well and are concealed inside the grill.

Last edited:
The deeflex looks cool but at about $20 for a 4/12 why not just use the Mitchell speaker directivity modifiers? They work very well and are concealed inside the grill.

Never heard of that. I also tried: Tube-Town Online-Store - TT Diffusor 12" tt-diff12 - also good, but no where as good as the deeflexx.

I just tonematched the Splawn modded Marshall with Markus' Preset - works quite well, but I'll have to put some more work in it - I just used a JVM OD1 with default settings ;)

I just ordered a Deeflex. It should work with FRFR wedges (putting them on a side), so I'm gonna try that...
I'm sure there will be others uses for it in my studio, too.

i looked at the FAQ on the DeeFlexx site, looked like it might not work - it primarily lets the low freq's through and distributes/disperses mids/highs from a SINGLE driver - since my FRFR is a 3 way, with a 6" mid and a 1" horn tweeter above the 12" woofer, I doubt I could get it to work for me unless I created some kind of shelf on the grill above the 12", to dispose the 6" and 1" - or, as you say, perhaps on the side - dunno what the heck it would really sound like. I'd be willing to toy if there were a money back guarantee, but I also think it looks WAY overpriced.

i looked at the FAQ on the DeeFlexx site, looked like it might not work - it primarily lets the low freq's through and distributes/disperses mids/highs from a SINGLE driver - since my FRFR is a 3 way, with a 6" mid and a 1" horn tweeter above the 12" woofer, I doubt I could get it to work for me unless I created some kind of shelf on the grill above the 12", to dispose the 6" and 1" - or, as you say, perhaps on the side - dunno what the heck it would really sound like. I'd be willing to toy if there were a money back guarantee, but I also think it looks WAY overpriced.

Haha, same considerations. Have two RCFs, not the nx sma's, but the 310a and the 412a, wich are two way systems, and I wonder if the Deeflexx would work with it.

What's interesting about this post quoted above is that it seems to contradict the reasoning behind the DeeFlexx - For example:

1. High frequencies come from the center of a cone speaker, and that's why they beam.
False. If you could actually get the high frequencies to be radiated exclusively by the "center" of the speaker - say the dust cap - you'd find them being radiated over a greater angle, not a smaller one. A number of past cone speaker designs actually had compliance elements built into the cone in an attempt to create this exact scenario: the size of the cone effectively getting smaller at higher frequencies. They didn't work particularly well.
2. Placing an obstruction in front of the center of the cone "blocks" these "beaming" frequencies and makes the speaker's high-frequency radiation pattern broader.
False again. A "blocker" will change the on-axis response and directivity of the speaker, but the effect is not consistent over frequency or necessarily useful. The directivity of the speaker will actually be made narrower at some frequencies.

And yet the DeeFlexx videos seem pretty convincing - the above notwithstanding. I heard a smoothing of sound and a stunning similarity between on and off-axis... so, what's going on here?

On the website in the FAQ wedges are mentioned. Position the wedge on the side with the tweeter pointing at the Deeflex. Since I have NX12-SMA's the coaxial design should make this easy...
I'll report back...
Yes, it's overprized, but since it's innovative that's ok - when it works.

Reactions: yek
Don't call it a comeback.... we've been here for years. ;) (Little LL Cool J for ya).

The Deflex thing is a waveguide/sound defuser. If it works, great. Not that new though, I've seen similar stuff from years ago. It's all good though.

I'll try tonematching the KPA this weekend. I just have to find the best way to do it. With Markus' preset (uses some weird sine sweep stuff) I got pretty good results - just the treble/presence seems different (axe got less), have to find out why. I will try to shoot a cab IR from the Kemper cab-only and then make a profile of the the Kemper amp-only - maybe that works better? I have to find out :)

Back
Top Bottom