Axe II "Comeback" from a Kemper Fan

mDaniel

Inspired
Hey guys,

I've been using the KPA for the last year and was very happy with the sound. But not with the stability/realiability of the device. It get's better but I'm still not at the point where I would gig it without a backup (yeah I know, you should never ever gig without a backup). So I had a gig 1 month ago and the KPA's midi switching got messed up and I thought "this really sucks". So I checked the newest Fractal Updates, read the forums, listened to clips and decieded to get one to check FW9 out. As they are in stock now I mailed Jacques from G66 (greatest guy on the internet) and had the Axe the next day :)
My "old" Axe II got stolen when there was FW 4 oder 5 I think (luckily insurance covered the loss). When I got the new one the first thing I did was load the Ownhammer Beta IRs and install FW9 public beta.

What can I say - it sounds VERY good and Fractal's betas are more stable than the release version on the KPA. Initially I still liked the KPA better - until I discovered the Air and Proximity parameter in the Axe. Man, what a difference. So I did 5-10mins of tweaking and had a sound I really loved (Plexi Treble master cranked, gain on 3.5 or so - I love that sound). I always liked the KPA better than my Axe II in the past but I think now they are at least on par. I will keep the Axe II as it is more variable, has more effects (I love the tape delay) and it is STABLE (!!!).

I could easily just use a tube amp (I'm a 2-3 preset guy) but as I play the guitar 95% at home where my neighbours and my girlfriend would kill me if I'd crank a plexi (ok that would probably kill ME too :D) a "real amp" is no option. And with the Axe II (or KPA) I don't miss real amps any longer.

For live playing I use a Matrix GT1000FX, a Mesa 112 Thiele and a weird 300$ piece of plastic called "DeeFlexx" (for everyone who didn't check it out. A friend of me told me of that thing and I was like "dude wtf, who would pay 300$ for that shit... then I checked it out - nothing else to say).

Daniel

Clean and Low-Mid Gain stuff.
I like the 1987X and the JCM800 Profiles from theampfactory most on the KPA :)

Great to have you back!

Please tell us more about your experience with the DeeFlexx

Please tell us more about your experience with the DeeFlexx

Sure, I don't own it for long but it's really really great. I always had the problem of the placement of my cab.

I use a Marshall 1960AV, a Hughes&Kettner GL212 and a Mesa Thiele Compact 112. The 412 on a stand or something was ok, still there was a day/night difference between standing in the beam or not. With the 212 or 112 it was even more extreme. Either you don't hear anything or you stand in the beam and get killed by that massive amount of treble/presence.
With the DeeFlexx the cab just sounds good everywhere. You have no beam any longer and the same sound, no matter where you are on stage or rehearsal room. Plus you don't have to crank your amp. I always had the problem in rehearsal room that my cab stood on the floor (because I really hate hearing the beam) and I had to turn up colume to hear me. And the basser and drummer always complained. With the DeeFlexx I am much quieter AND can hear me much better. Plus it just sounds better. Of course it only improves your monitorsound.

I'm interested. Any relevant difference betwen the Aura and Edition versions?

It looks like this. Really weird looking - I should have put the KPA on top of the box for maximum weirdness :)

deeflexx.jpg

Tastes change, preferences change.
If they didn't, no-one would have bought an FX pedal since 1974.
Nothing wrong with trying out different things. As an Axe II owner I still hear amazing demo's and songs made with the KPA...and amps...and FX units - a guitarist on youtube called Dhalif makes some of the best guitar music I've ever heard using a line6 Pod X3 live ;)
Plenty of users on this forum play both Axe II / Ultra / Standards as well as KPA's / amps / pedals et all. And why not ?
I noticed a similar thread with Guthrie regarding his leaving Suhr to try something new. Does this make Suhr guitars good or bad ? Neither. Same with every other brand out there - it's what feels + sounds good to you and for that same reason my acoustic / bass / classical and electric guitars span across Status Graphite / Ibanez / Gibson / Yamaha / Jackson + Aria.
Does this mean my guitars are better than the other guitars out there ? Absolutely not. It's just what works for me.
Will my tastes change over the years ? Absolutely - I throw out cd's I used to love all the time as they just don't do it for me now. Will I try compeltely different sounds and tones in the future ?
Yep !
Am constantly amazed at the concept that brand loyalty is the end all to music. It isn't.

Last edited:
I remember a while back you would occasionally post some great Kemper (and AxeFX) clips. Hopefully you'll post some more with your new AxeFX ;)

CLIFF,talking kpa tone matches.there is a splawn modded marshall 1987x over on the kpa site somewhere.the guy is demoing it over a randy road song.i now own this amp and cant seem to nail it....if you can nail its tone i ....well Cliff id freaking pay ya i want it so bad.

ok got it i think.website wont let me upload sorry.kpa tag is "splawn marshall m"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom