Axe II Cases

One of these. The wheels are EPIC awesome. The rack is a little big, but I prop it next to me on stage and put my mixer on top for my IEM control. Its a slick setup.

1skb-rlx5.jpg

I have this case without the rollers and it's built like a tank. A bit on the clunky side tho, and pretty heavy. I'm thinking about selling it and getting something a little more streamlined.

Just a few notes on SKB vs Gator cases...

SKB 4U Roll-X
4U Roll-X Rack Case by SKB Cases
No rear rails just a rear access door. I'm not fond of this one b/c of the handles and the odd front lid.

SKB 4U Roto Rolling
4U Roto Rolling Rack by SKB Cases
I think the latest incarnation of this is relatively new and as such I haven't seen it.
Rear rails included.
The latches are easier to deal with than gator in my opinion but possibly more likely to snap off. I have dealt with these latches on guitar cases though where they are a little more precarious.
Molded telescoping handle which should not have the jamming/bending issues associated with metal ones.

Gator
http://www.gatorcases.com/p/39158-1534/g-pror-4u-19
Rear rails are optional but sometimes no clear way to purchase (or voucher purchase is not clear if I remember correctly) but the same rails can be had from Amazon or similar for a fraction of the cost.
The telescoping handle is easy to bend making it difficult/near impossible to telescope.
Latches are metal and can be a pain if the doors are slightly warped.

If you are just a one case person, I don't think it will matter much which you choose but if you need multiple cases, choose wisely b/c you'll want to buy from the same series for stacking compatibility. I've gone the gator route in the past but the newer SKBs looks better.

Last edited:
Single rack space Gator, hard. Mostly because it's lightweight, small, and an extra plus is it's inexpensive. Probablly not that sturdy, but I'm not putting it into semi tractor trailers, just my station wagon or somebody's truck.

Single rack space Gator, hard. Mostly because it's lightweight, small, and an extra plus is it's inexpensive. Probablly not that sturdy, but I'm not putting it into semi tractor trailers, just my station wagon or somebody's truck.

It would be very hard because the Axe Fx uses 2 rack spaces :), but that’s the smallest Gator case so most likely what you meant.

Hi, I have one of these. Great wheels, very study case and lids, Cool thing is, front and back rails. See pics 1,2,5. I mount the Axe-Fx in the front, and a the VAFAM panel underneath. Then in the back, in the same space as a the VAFAM panel, I put Monster 2500 power conditioner that turns everything, CLR's , rack , pedalboard, on/off IN SEQUENCE. 4U Roto Rolling Rack by SKB Cases.

I use an SKB Roto Rack 4U case. I almost bought the version that has wheels, but realized I don't want to jar my equipment by dragging it over bumps and stuff. I have my Axe-Fx II, a 1U power conditioner, and a 1U Matrix GT1000Fx in there. I love it.

This is my home/practice setup (it's an old pic. It's much neater in there now!)

13015532303_38443dec41_b.jpg

Last edited:
I have this case without the rollers and it's built like a tank. A bit on the clunky side tho, and pretty heavy. I'm thinking about selling it and getting something a little more streamlined.

Without the Rollers I wouldn't like it either, but with the rollers, I don't carry it much I roll it and love that, so yeah without the rollers it's not the same case IMHO.

Old school early 90's SKB hard case.

I've owned and used this thing for so long I don't remember when I got it. Never an issue.

Last edited:
Hers mine in this Gator rolling case..the axe II barley fits in this. I used to have the ultra and it was shorter. So when i zip up the back it barley makes it but it works.

Attachments

• IMG_2980.jpg
    IMG_2980.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 58
Same boat as Scott, except switch out the Vfam panel for a G90 wireless. My paranoid side has made me think about a shock mounted case, but I've just been "gentle", keeping it in the front of my vehicle.

So I was about to go for the SKB Roll-X 4U until Grape posted his mini-review and I checked out the SKB Roto Roll 4U. Only ~$20 difference.

I need to get rid of my EWI shock mount - I don't usually fly away and it's overkill... too heavy and awkward for someone 5'3" :) Looks like both of these SKB models are half the weight of this monster.

Anyone have an opinion/preference between the two of these?

FWIW, the Roll-X (the one I use) has one nifty element and thats the back little door once removed fits nicely into the front lid door after you take them off so its a little easier to store on stage and out of the way vs. the dual doors that don't nest on the Roto Roll. As for the rear rails... I never felt a need for such a feature.

So I was about to go for the SKB Roll-X 4U until Grape posted his mini-review and I checked out the SKB Roto Roll 4U. Only ~$20 difference.

I need to get rid of my EWI shock mount - I don't usually fly away and it's overkill... too heavy and awkward for someone 5'3" :) Looks like both of these SKB models are half the weight of this monster.

Anyone have an opinion/preference between the two of these?

FWIW, the Roll-X (the one I use) has one nifty element and thats the back little door once removed fits nicely into the front lid door

Good point. If the rear rails weren't needed, this would be a selling point for me. All of these companies could do a much better job with the covers in terms of stacking or figuring out another purpose for them when they are off.

I've had to make lots of racks and over time have switched to requiring rear rails. Sometimes it's highly functional with rear mounted patch bays and power units while other times it's just with perforated filler plates simply to retain the mess inside or short shelfs to rest those oddball pieces in at a live set. The upside to rear mounting some gear is that the rack becomes more balanced which makes for easier carrying, wheeling, etc. But not everyone has the same requirements so I'm glad there are several choices out there.

Oh, someone mentioned about not wanting to use wheels due to the effect it has on the gear. I completely agree. I try not to wheel the portable rigs if at all possible b/c I've had cables and components inside devices dislodge.... that really sucks when a poorly mounted power supply falls off the board (don't worry, never happened with the Axe's)! Wheels on smooth floors is a back saver though.

Back
Top Bottom