Axe II as an aggregate in logic

jon

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone used or tried it before? I'm going to order the II, but I'm hoping that it's possible.

I'd prob have to set the clock to an external device to avoid all the craziness. Can I set the clock to the axe as well? Anyone tried this? What were your observations?

It depends on the other soundcard. The fireface does not support, mackie does, tomorrow I'm receiving my new metric halo uln2 and will let you know!

Thanks, I appreciate it! :D

The other sound card is an apogee duet (previous gen) but I might also be using it with a presonus firestudio, depending on what I'm doing.

Can I set the axe as a master clock? Any issues if I do?

Duet does not support aggregate device setups. In most cases it will allow you to set it up and it will work normally for up to 20 minutes and then will start to have glitches until it crashes.

Duet does not support aggregate device setups. In most cases it will allow you to set it up and it will work normally for up to 20 minutes and then will start to have glitches until it crashes.

:eek: wow thanks fir letting me know that! You prob saved me quite a few hours of troubleshooting! LOL

As we're on the topic, what are some devices you guys/gals have used that play nice as aggregates? I just might have to upgrade in the future.....

Duet does not and I have not been able to get the Roland Octa-Capture to work either. Mac OS Lion.

Mark

I just tried it with an Ensemble and didn't seem to have any issues but I don't have any need to run aggregates so this was literally a 30 minute screw around. No "Real World" experience running things that way.

I usually record to Logic via my Axe balanced outs to the Ensemble Line Ins, the (admittedly very few) times when I've used the axe as an interface I've just run it as the Audio In and the Ensemble as Audio Out.

Thanks a LOT for all the insight so far - very helpful. Have you all seen this:
ART SyncGen | Sweetwater.com

I know it won't work with the duet, but I came across it while I was looking for a solution. I don't enough for a big Ben right now, but this looks like it will do the trick for the while. At only 99$ I don't think there's much to lose....

Mia, I was actually looking to upgrade to the ensemble now that you mention it. Was it the axe you aggregated it with? If so, did you notice any issues? Jitter, artifacts or alaising? Also, did you set the axe as master clock?

Hey Jon, Mia is our Singer/Band Namesake, I'm just a lowly guitarist/producer ;)

It was the Axe I integrated, with the Axe as the Master. I didn't notice any issues but as I said, it was only a fast test. I'm planning on scratching some rough tracks Sunday, I'll do them this way and see if I get any issues. I was wanting to try the spdif more anyways, so I can use this session to mess around with a bunch of routing options etc.

I'll be sure to let you know what my experiences are.

Ok ULN 2 arrived, and I left.... Funny!!!!
I tried to make an aggegated device but somethings not right.
Tomorrow when I get home, will try better.
Ps ULN 2 ROCKS!!!!!!

Reactions: jon
LOL happens to me all the time! :D As I leave is when the stuff arrives! :eek:
I'd be REALLY interested in your impressions/review of the ULN as well if you have the time....looks like a perfect device, but it's a little costly to just take a chance on.....not a whole lot of reviews out there either :/

On the uln2 you can go wrong. The main reason is that it is a very very high quality A/D converter and
It has two professional mic pres, perfect for me (singing is my main role) and to record acuistic ( second main thing)!
But mainly it is very simple to use and has a powerful software MIo console.
If it is used in studio there must be a reason :)

Steve did you get it working right? What did you have to do?
Drama, what about you?

On the uln2 you can go wrong. The main reason is that it is a very very high quality A/D converter and
It has two professional mic pres, perfect for me (singing is my main role) and to record acuistic ( second main thing)!
But mainly it is very simple to use and has a powerful software MIo console.
If it is used in studio there must be a reason :)

You can go wrong?! I'm assuming you mean can't?

My ULN-8 is my favourite piece of equipment in my studio. Even over the AFX, and thats saying something. The Pres are beautiful, and the AD/DA is flawless. The MIO Console + Pro Tools 10 = heaven

Wow you guys are making me want to get rid of my duet and get a ULN too! :p lol

Have you guys used the ensemble or duet too? Which do you prefer and why? (yes I know both will sound amazing at that price range, but everyone has their preferences)

I used an ensemble for quite some time. Loved the digitally controlled pres (also featured on the ULN-8). Pretty glassy sounding and clear; typical Apogee.

That being said, for the ULN being 2.2x the price of the Apogee, it is 10x better.

Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom