Axe II 4 cable method

moe joe

using the 4 cable method
I have the Axe II running through my Mark iv wide body combo with a mesa wide body cab. Both the combo and the cab have EV-12s.
The results are amazing. This seems to work very well.
My questions are. Do i need to disable the power amp in the Axe II ? Do i need to disable the speaker cabs in the Axe II ?

I quess im relly askin what is the best way to set up the Axe II for the 4 cable method ?

Thanks

Moe Joe

you don't "need" to do anything, to be honest. whatever sounds best for what you do is the way to go. many run that setup with power amp modeling on as well as cab sims or any combination of that.

i'd say take the time to try all combinations and whatever works best, stick with it. there are no rules. don't worry about what others do too much.

maybe it was intended for the 4cm to not use power amp and cab modeling, but you have it if you want it.

Most people disable PA and cab sims with your type of setup. Cab sims into a real cab will be VERY dark. However, you may like it. Unlikely though. Same with the PA sims. Although I did try that out when I used to have my 2:90 and recto cab. It's more likely that you'll like the PA sims into real power than cab sims into a real cab. Make sense. It can't hurt to try it all.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I love AXE II but I HAVE to say that the 4 CM sucks a lot of tone (and hisses too)used with tube heads(I tried,Diezel ,Orange etc...)hope they 'll make an "update"

This 'hiss' you speak of, is it not present when you plug directly into the head and into a cab? IOW, are you sure this isn't just your typical amp hiss from high gain?

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I love AXE II but I HAVE to say that the 4 CM sucks a lot of tone (and hisses too)used with tube heads(I tried,Diezel ,Orange etc...)hope they 'll make an "update"

I thought that this issue was fixed in the Axe FX II. ?? This has been my main issue with the Ultra.

That hasn't been my experience with the II. With my Mark IIC+, the Axe II is whisper quiet, and very transparent when no effects are engaged. Using the Output pad settings helped a lot, particularly for Output2, which for my amp is set at 12dB.

To the OP: I agree with everyone above that you should try all the combinations. I went through all the stock presets with all combinations and noted the ones I liked. As it turns out, for me I almost always prefer power amp sims on and cab sims off. Since the Mark IV is similar to my amp, you might conclude the same, but definately "let your ears decide".

Last edited:
I have to disagree also. I'm using the Axe II with a Lonestar 4CM and it is actually amazingly quiet. If it's noisy for you, check the Output pad settings as LostInSpace suggested.

Hi fredster, I got my Axe 2 a few weeks ago and use it with my lonestar classic - would you care to share/exchange presets you did for your lonestar? cheers chris

Back
Top Bottom