AFIII AXE FXIII BASS TONE! Steely Dan and Supertramp covers performed with band

JoeW-NC

My new band recently shot a promo video as we get gig-ready, and I've never been happier with the tone.
Included in this playlist: My Old School, Kid Charlemagne, Josie, Peg, Bodhisattva, Deacon Blues and The Logical Song

Using the Chuck Rainey and Nathan East scenes from the "Studio Giants" preset from Austin Buddy's bass pack. Performance captured live on our monitor mixer (Allen-Heath Qu16), straight to USB. A little bass and compression was added in post.

https://www.youtube.com/@jeffheinz1633/videos

Deacon Blues:
Kid Charlemagne:
Peg:
Bodhisattva:
Josie:
My Old School:
The Logical Song:

EDIT: Replaced my personal, hidden youtube channel videos with our official channel. Final videos without the "SAMPLE" watermark from video company

Last edited:
My new band recently shot a promo video as we get gig-ready, and I've never been happier with the tone.
Included in this playlist: My Old School, Kid Charlemagne, Josie, Peg, Bodhisattva, Deacon Blues and The Logical Song

Using the Chuck Rainey and Nathan East scenes from the "Studio Giants" preset from Austin Buddy's bass pack. Performance captured live on our monitor mixer (Allen-Heath Qu16), straight to USB. A little bass and compression was added in post.

That sounds awesome! Great Tune.

Love that stuff, and the tone is happening! Good job!
Thanks, Rick! On the Peg track, you can really hear how well the patch handles the transitions between finger style and slapping. I used to have to switch patches to alternate between play styles, but this scene keeps everything right where I want it.

Thanks, Rick! On the Peg track, you can really hear how well the patch handles the transitions between finger style and slapping. I used to have to switch patches to alternate between play styles, but this scene keeps everything right where I want it.
The tone does it well, but the playing is what really brings it out. For anyone who doesn’t know, SD music is all about the arrangement and great choices for the parts that build the feel. It’s crazy how good some of those parts are… I wouldn’t have thought of it, for certain! I am always impressed when bands tackle tunes like Kid Charlemagne and do a good job on it. Really entertaining.

Wow you can really play that bass! Good stuff.
Thanks
Pauly.

The tone does it well, but the playing is what really brings it out. For anyone who doesn’t know, SD music is all about the arrangement and great choices for the parts that build the feel. It’s crazy how good some of those parts are… I wouldn’t have thought of it, for certain! I am always impressed when bands tackle tunes like Kid Charlemagne and do a good job on it. Really entertaining.

Thanks, Rick - you're right - their arrangements are ridiculously good, and they were famous for bringing in whichever players would help an album or just a song the most. We record all our practices on the same rig and I always learn a lot just soloing various parts.

I’m a big SD fan. Their songs are so complex that it’s rare for a cover band to do them justice…you guys are killing it. Your bass playing is first class. The guitarist is a Larry Carlton clone! Is the guitarist using a FM9 or something else?

Back
Top Bottom